DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

wheel bearing sets for front

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Chump 
#1 ·
I recently replaced the rotor and bearings on my 89 b250 318 tbi and found that all the local auto parts stores list the wrong bearing for my outers. I tried every combination of model, engine size, and axle weight could not match the outer bearing to the original.

Finally I got a counter person with half a brain and she pulled out the entire box and started pulling out and opening every package till a match was found.

For my Van, set 11 for the inners, set 12 for the outers. The computers kept telling me the outers were set 16.

Anyone else run into this problem, or do I just have special spindles? Cancel that thought, the new rotors wouldn't accept a set 16 on the outer anyway.

Sorry if this has been covered in another post, i forgot to do a search.

#3 ·
landyacht318 said:
I recently replaced the rotor and bearings on my 89 b250 318 tbi and found that all the local auto parts stores list the wrong bearing for my outers. I tried every combination of model, engine size, and axle weight could not match the outer bearing to the original.

Finally I got a counter person with half a brain and she pulled out the entire box and started pulling out and opening every package till a match was found.

For my Van, set 11 for the inners, set 12 for the outers. The computers kept telling me the outers were set 16.

Anyone else run into this problem, or do I just have special spindles? Cancel that thought, the new rotors wouldn't accept a set 16 on the outer anyway.

Sorry if this has been covered in another post, i forgot to do a search.

Hmmmmmm...What was the part number of the new rotors you bought?

#4 ·
The rotors are Duralast #773119
and are identical to the oned I removed, besides all the rust and grooves and pitted races.

The set 16 appeared way too small in comparison to the set 12.

I still have a bearing like noise. I'm trying to convince myself that the rears are fine, and failing.

#5 ·
According to National/BCA, the diameter of A12 is 1.7810" and the diameter of A16 is 1.8100". The rest of the measurements were identical.

#7 ·
I've gone this loop with my B2500 2001. Having the HD 8-lug discs and rotors also proved to be a challenge to find the "right" bearings!

So, with that said, I truly understand the pain landyacht318 has gone through.

Just repack those bears really well to keep the noise down. After 3K miles you might have to do the repack a second time for them to lubed right. At least that's what I've been through with this job.

#8 ·
All the info I looked at including the factory parts books and many manufacturers points to the A16 as the correct ones. I wonder if Autozone had mixed bearing stock? When I have problems like this I take the part# off the race and the part# off the bearing and cross them over. As long as it's running, that's what counts. :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.