DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for new muffler

3K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  matted2thefloor 
#1 ·
Hey there,
I've been thinking of getting a new muffler to replace the stock coffin that came with my D... I've got new Bilstein shocks to put on and figured that I may as well change the muffler out while I'm under there.

I've already chopped the resonator and have a Borla tip on there so I'm looking for a muffler that will not make my D much louder, but will increase flow and give me some performance/mpg gains. Is there such a beast out there? By changing the muffler will that change the powerband much?

#2 ·
Here is a couple of new and old clips of my Flowmaster series 40 Delta Flow muffler, which I highly recommend. 1st Vid is me rolling from a stop light going about 10-15 mph and launching to 60mph in no time sounding nasty!! Second is a light cruise to show I don't have much drone at 60.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftoolcN15BQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQdVEKjEGE4

Old Vids with Brand new Flowmaster:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CozHa1qh_XY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc7SnZHhJ-Q
I am going to do a new start up video later today, cause it makes that sound quite now with over 2K on it.

#3 ·
I'm having a 5x11x22 Magnaflow SI/SO Part # 14589 put on today... i'll let u know how it sounds and probably post a video or two... Getting 3.00" piping out the back with Magnaflow Tip Part # 35116 and no resonator!!! (finally!)

I originally was gonna go with a 18" body Magnaflow, but the muffler shop guy said it's gonna have too much drone. He insisted either a 22" or 24" body which will have little to no droan. So I decided on the 22" body.

Could you post a pic of your exhaust tip? :huh:

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'm shying away from the Flowmaster 40 series because I don't want much, if any, increase in volume. I've been looking at the Flowmaster 70 series Bigblock II but except for a a local Ram I've never seen anyone using it. I see it's 22" long so there shouldn't be too much interior resonance. So far that's the muffler I like the best, but if there was something else out there comparable I'd consider that too.

I had thought about going for a Borla muffler to go with my tip, but their mufflers are more geared toward racing and making your V8 sound louder.

#5 ·
Here's a pic of what the tip looks like. I don't have any photos of it on my D yet because it's still winter and the D is under 3 feet of snow (it doesn't get driven much.)

#7 ·
I am looking forward to seeing those. Did you leave the resonator on? It will sound even more nasty as it gets more miles on it.

#9 ·
It will, trust me.

#11 ·
5, not the annoying loud, but it will make the Ram bubbas smile. Do you notice a little more HP, feels like she wants to kick ass while driving it, doesn't.

#12 ·
THe grin on your face will get even wider after 1000 miles .

Start stretching excersizes

:D:D:D

#13 ·
I would highly Recommend a Borla Pro XS muffler, i just had a single in/dual out Installed few weeks ago on my Hemi ram and love it, Its a straight through muffler, great performance, and great sound, its louder than stock for sure, but i have no drone, But not LOUD. I got mine on ebay for 99 from seller wickedNickyexhaust, i believe the name was. Summit sales the same muffler i got for 179. Heres a search i did for you, so you can find the right one.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=borla+pro+xs&_sacat=See-All-Categories

#17 ·
Don't know the science but I know my is louder and more rumble deceling on a hill. I installed it back in September and have put 2500 miles on since.

#18 ·
not doubting just wondering, i have the magnaflow cat back and it also keeps getting louder, kinda too loud inside i like it ,but its the wifes and i thought for all the differant catbacks that it would be the most quiet inside, but its not, "mbroggi1" i see you have 22"srt10 wheels,i just bought a set with the same size tires as yours,do they fit ok?anything i should do or dont? prolly i big powerloss?

#19 ·
No problem with fitting them, Hope you have a Hemi or some mods to the 4.7 2 mpg hit at least.
Stopping will need some help. But other than that I love them, ride isnt that much more harsh, handles much better. If you havent already bought tires I hightly reccomend the Yokahama Parada Spex X they balanced out fine 0-100 mph no shimmy at all and dont seem to get the flat spots from sitting others have reported. No noise period, They even are fine in the snow...

#22 ·
Would it be worth it to buy the muffler heat shield to go with a new muffler? They say they reduce resonance and temperatures....

#26 ·
I'd say anything straight through is going to be VERY LOUD. It's a different thing if you like it or not; personally I like a loud V8 note... just not in my D.... :thatfunny

Really, loud exhaust notes in my opinion is more related to a car, not SUV. Even elegant cars shouldn't have loud exhausts... However, if I manage to buy a well preserved Charger with a 5.7 or a 6.1 I'd try to find a mild exhaust over the OEM; I just find the D is better "as is" than with a loud exhaust.

#27 ·
I agree with DurangoZ, An SUV isn't supposed to sound like a hot rod. I'm looking for better gas mileage wihtout increasing the sound all that much.

I got an email from Flowmaster that stated their records indicate I should use their 70 BigBlock muffler # 52573, which is an offset inlet/offset outlet model. This contradicts something I read here in the forums where someone used an offset inlet/center outlet (which would be model # 52571. Confusing!!!!!!

#29 ·
Here are couple of pics of what the Borla tip looks like on my D. Once I get the muffler welded on later this month I'll take pics and a video of that as well!

#32 · (Edited)
Hey Scotia28, Did you ever get your muffler installed? I am in the exact same boat you are in regard to not wanting the cabin noise to be too loud. I am getting ready to chop of the resinator, but am having second thoughts on due to wanting a slighter performance upgrade as well.

If/When you get it installed, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

ps...what do think about this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flow...id=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:1|39:1|240:1318

#30 ·
I cant think of the p# but I put a Borla muffler on, and removed the res.. Its stainless steel, if that matters, and I made a stainless dual tip, kind of like yours(Scotia28) Its not that V8 hot rod sound. But me and my wife love the way it sounds, Just right. Good luck with what ever you choose to do on the D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.