DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

98 Grand Caravan LE Won't Start Sometimes

71K views 155 replies 53 participants last post by  deputylynch 
#1 ·
I've got a mysterious problem that the Dealer hasn't been able to diagnose because of course the car acts fine when I take it in.

98 Grand Caravan LE, 3.8L, Auto, 95K miles, new battery, new positive cable (old one corroded through), starter maybe 2 yrs old and is good per the dealer

Problem is this. Every couple of weeks it'll do this thing where it'll start and stall after a few seconds, no matter how much gas you give or whatever. So you star it up again and it stalls out again after a few seconds. It'll do this 3 or 4 times and then when you turn the key it won't do anything. No cranking, no click, no nothing. Acts like you're trying to start it in drive or without a battery or something. But all lights, radio, everything works except it does nothing when you turn the key. You let the car sit and the next morning or later on in the evening it starts as if there's no problem. Works great for a while and then the cycle repeats.

Dealer kept it for 2 days and can't find anything wrong. They even sent it out with the delivery guy and drove it for 20 miles and still no problem. Says he can't fix what he can't find. Thankfully they didn't charge me a cent.

Has anyone had an experience like this (i.e., is this a known issue for the 98 Caravan)? Preferably with a known solution? I did some searches and some folks say PCM but I have yet to see someone say PCM and then come back later and say yes it really was the PCM.

Thanks.

Mick

See less See more
#28 ·
Start - Stall 1997 Town and Country

We have had the same problem for 18 months. Many times - "stranded" !
Have tried, using the key in drivers door to lock/unlock rapidly, done battery changes, door "sender" replacements, door opening and closing, never using remote fob, never turning ignition until all doors are closed. To this point in time the only sure fix was to wait about 4 hours. Or have the car towed to the dealer, which usually takes about that amount of time.
News!!!...The van stalled again this afternoon. First I waited 90 min but car was still bogus. Then I waited another 90 min. First try was bogus ...start - stall.
So-- I tried the "pound on the instrument cluster" solution. Car started right away!!! Based on this immediate experience and the previous info at this site thread, I am persuaded that the instrument cluster is holding the problem.
I am going to order the dealer to replace the cluster.
I will report back as time moves on, regarding the success of this approach.

Thad Dabrowski

#30 ·
The problem with my 1998 Grand Caravan is definitely temperature related. ON March 14 , 2007 it was 70 degrees Fairinheit in Washington DC and the car PRNDL lites came on and the car started. The next morning it was cold (about 40 degrees outside) and the car would not start until April 21, 2007, when the temperature was again up to 70 degrees. The PRNDL lites came on again. Has anyone figured this problem out yet. I can see that we have the same problem. Dan, I even got a code of 1998 about the transmission, like you did. Let's all figure this out. I am commited and dont want to give up. We need the car for our family. Tom

#31 ·
Just like MickDodge, I have had the mysterious action of the power locks automatically lock as soon as you unlock them with the key. Could this be the source of the car not starting problem? Is this somehow related to the theft system where it will start and stall 3-4 times and then not start at all for several weeks?

Mickdodge, has replacing the cluster board and the new new actuators solved your problems?

Tom

#34 ·
tdownie,

A new cluster circuit board solved the not starting issue. This was apparently unrelated to the door issue which was solved by them replacing a series of parts (door latches, door locking switch assemblies, door panel pins). When the tech unlocked my door, he could tell there and then what the deal was with the doors...sounds like a not-so-unusual problem, although I've never had this kind of problem with any other car I've ever owned.

#35 ·
1998 Gr. Caravan Won't Start

MickDodge,

Thanks. I think you are right. I have replaced so much that I think I better wait for Thad Dabrowski to confirm that replacing the instrument cluster circuit board solved his problem too.

Thanks for explaining the door lock situation. I was ignoring it, because the car wont start, but if I get the car running reliably, I will have to look into this too.

BTW, this car stranded us after Church one Sunday too. Maybe, like my kids, it does not like long sermons.

Tom

#40 ·
Dodge Grand Caravan 1998 will not start

All,

I was going to take apart the dash this weekend to check the instrument cluster, but now the car is working fine. The trouble is that the car is not reliable.

I am to the point that I think that the problem is the instrument cluster, however, I have one question. If the problem is the inst. cluster, then why does replacing the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) momentarily allow me to start the engine when it otherwise would not start? If you understand the system well enough, please tell me how this could happen before I replace the instrument cluster. Tom

#41 ·
Had same issue last three weeks

I had the same issue on our 99 grand Caravan. Took off all battery cables cleaned up each connection with wire post cleaner. Used sand paper on the two negative cables attached to the post. Tightened everything up good. So far has seemed to done the trick.

#42 ·
Dodge Grand Caravan 1998 will not start sometimes

Griswald,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did clean up the posts and terminals previously, but I dont think that this is the problem because the headlights will work fine, but the PRNDL and odometer do not light up and the car wont start. If the PRNDL and odometer light up when I turn on the ignition key, I know it is going to start.

Tom

#43 ·
Guys,

The hardest part of this problem of the 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan "sometimes" not starting is that it is an intermittent problem and therefore the car is not reliable. My car ran fine over the weekend, so I didn't tear into the instrument cluster. I appreciate any information from anyone else on this problem. Please keep the dialog going. Thad Dabrowski, did you replace your instrument cluster?

Tom

#44 ·
Ok My 99 Grand Is Still At The Dealer, They Called And Said They've
Been Driving And Driving It And It Won't Act Up Ever. It Was Towed In For Not Running And It Won't Do It On Them No Matter What They Do.
I Told Them That There Are Tons Of Us Out Here With Stalling Problems
But They Say It's Not Common??? I Pulled Left Into A Driveway And
Parked Came Out 2/3 Hour Later And It Starts/stalls. 5x So Towed It
To Dealer The Next Day And There It Sits. %$^#!!!!@#$%^^

#45 ·
George,

I have looked back at your previous posting. Actually, I think you have a different problem than most of the rest of us. I have never had the engine stall while I was driving the car. You are probably on the right track with checking the fuel filter, etc. The symptom that I have seen over and over on our 1998 Dodge Gr. Caravan is that the PRNDL and odometer lights will not come on and when this happens, I know the car will start and stall immediately for 3-4 times and then won't turn over or start at all. When we figure our problem out, we will certainly let you know what fixed it.

Tom

#46 ·
Well, after 2 weeks of running flawlessly (average temperature seventy degree Farenheit), today the temperature dropped to 52 degrees Farenheit and my 1998 Dodge Gr. Caravan started and stalled 3-4 times and then wouldn't start at all. This problem definitely seems to be temperature related. If it is too cold or too hot during the day/night, the car won't start. If anybody has any additional information about fixing this problem, it would be much appreciated. Tom

#47 ·
Someone needs to find a dealer or shop with a Chrysler Co-Pilot data recorder. It's a little box they plug into the OBD II port, and you push a button when the problem happens and it records all of the engine data. The shop can then review the data on their computer and see what is going wrong.

#49 ·
No, it's much different. If I uploaded it right, there should be a picture of the Co-Pilot I recently sold on eBay below. It's a black box about 3x6 inches with a button thing that attaches to your visor and a plug that goes into your OBDII port (the same thing the DRBIII plugs into). The dealer hooks it up and leaves it in your car (I think they make you put a $100 deposit on the thing or something). When you have the problem, you push the button and it starts recording. Then you take it in and they use their diagnostic computer (not the DRBIII, but a thing called the "MDSII" for Mopar Diagnostic System II). The MDS is basically a Dell computer with some special software and connectors. They can download the data onto the MDSII and hopefully see what's going wrong at the time of the failure.

Attachments

#51 ·
If I found this thread a week ago I would have had a bidding war on my eBay auction LOL!

The only reason I had one was because it came together with a DRB III that I bought on eBay and since I do not have the MDSII computer, it was useless to me, so I sold it. It's not really something that you would buy unless you are a technician.

I would think that any dealer, especially large ones should have one or two of these things for use on customer's cars. You guys should call your dealer's service reps and ask them specifically about this- especially if you've been trying repeatedly to get the problem diagnosed. If they don't know what it is, insist that they check with the head of their service department to see if they have one lying in the back somewhere that they can put in your car. It may be the kind of thing they don't think of very often, but they probably have it.

Print the picture and take it in to show them if they don't know what you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.