DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

4x4 will not engage

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Dave in LB 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 98 durango with just over 112K km's. It's been a pretty good vehicle till now. I have the old style 4x4 pull shifter on the floor that does not seem to do anything anymore. Pulling it to 4wd does not activate the dash light or the 4wd system. It feels normal (as when it worked) shifting. I tried to put it into N and then back to p/t but no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions if this is a simple problem to fix.

Thanks

#2 ·
OK, I'm gonna start at the very simplest of simple.
Crawl underneath and make sure the linkage is connected between the shifter and the transfer case. As long as your down there, take an allen wrench and check the fluid level in the t-case. You could also check the wire harness that should be going into the top of the t-case, mebe it is going into 4WD, but the lights are disconnected. That's all I really know to think of.

#3 ·
can you test to see if the 4x4 works but just doesn't illuminate the dash light? If it doesn't go into N or 4LO, try rolling slowly.

BTW - do this on a loose surface, not pavement.

#4 ·
Rolling into low 4x4 worked

Thanks Kevin - rolling slowly down a grassy hill and being in neutral (shifter and 4x4) worked when I went into the 4 low, then worked back to 4 high. Although the 4x4 light does not come on anymore. I check fluid and cable, everything seem intact. Took in 4x4ering and it worked (although I knocked off my front license plate and holder - easy fix)

what causes this process to work? Will it continue to work?

Thanks for your help

#5 ·
License plate bracket just has two screws holding it on the valance. You might need to put a molly or something in if you stripped the hole.

I'd still check the fluid level and linkage for any damage as a preventative measure.

#7 ·
No problem.

I grew up with old Broncos and they were a pain to shift if you weren't slightly moving. Reversing a few feet helped sometimes as well.

#8 ·
One note. If you've been yanking on the selector lever with the Durango not rolling a bit you may have damaged the linkage. Make certain that isn't the case for your own safety and benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.