DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2014 Ram MPG on Last Trip

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Gold5th 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,
I had a business trip that put me on the road from Mpls to Kansas City a few weeks ago and I thought I would see what I could get for MPG. I went straight down 35W, very flat and no wind. I set the cruise at 60mph (I know, it was boring) and let the miles roll on by. 7 or so hours later, with no stops, I pull into KC with a 1/4 tank left (32 gallon) and the MPG showing 27.5! That figure started to decrease pretty quick as I navigated the city during the week, but I was impressed.

I didn't do the MPG calculation by hand, but I've found my computer to be very close.

On the way home the weather wasn't quite as nice and I was in a hurry so the cruise was at 75. Ended up around 19mpg for the trip home.

2014 Ram 1500 Sport Hemi 8spd 3.21

The take away is that these trucks can get some awesome MPG in the right conditions when your trying.

Just thought I would share!

#2 ·
Damn nice MPG.

#3 ·
I agree.

My commute to work is about 55 miles one way. I drive through southern Maryland to the Pentagon for work. Route 4 has numerous lights (no exit/entry ramps in this communist state) and it is very hilly. Not to mention the DC traffic on the 695 and 395.

The past 1700 miles I've managed to keep my average between 26-28 mpg. Granted, I have the V6 w/ the 8spd but I don't find myself wanting the power of the Hemi.

#4 ·
:surprise

#5 ·
Damn thats good!

I have tested the EVIC on 4 different 09+ Dodge/Ram vehicles and they have always been within 1 mpg of the hand calculated MPG.

For comparison, my modded 5.7 Challenger only gets 22mpg highway now, but I have quite a few mods.

Best I ever saw in my ram was 26, and that was trying. Best in the Challenger was 30.

#9 ·
I have tested the EVIC on 4 different 09+ Dodge/Ram vehicles and they have always been within 1 mpg of the hand calculated MPG.
The EVIC should actually give you a more accurate number because it is pulling the data straight out of the cars electronics, which is very precise due to emissions calculation requirements. The hand calculated method is flawed because different gas pumps and varying environmental factors cause top offs to be a different levels, so it's nearly impossible to get a consistent fill, which can throw off your calculations.

http://archive.freep.com/article/20140202/COL14/302020049/phelan-fuel-economy-trip-computer

#6 ·
Yea, to get that number I was trying. Around town if I'm trying I can get 20, but If I'm driving "like I want to drive" it will be closer to 17. Thats with plenty of full throttle sprints in between driving nice. On the highway at 80 I can still get around 21 in good conditions.

#17 ·
whats the difference between current mpg and average mpg. average mpg is showing 13.3 but current fluctuates between 5 mpg and 30 depending on how lightly I throttle. Note: I just got my 1500 sport hemi v8, and Ive been driving it gingerly. haven't gone past 65 mph. It seems really low considering its 15mpg city and 21mpg highway. Any thoughts on this?

#7 ·
We drove 2300 miles last summer around lake Michigan....all flat running 65~75 mpg. I was always over 20 mpg and got 23+ several times. Not too bad for a 6000 pound truck with 3.92 gears!!!!

#8 ·
Seeing the same kind of numbers, my dad routinely gets 22+ on his 2014 Express QC 3.21. I'm around 20 on my Laramie CC 4x4 3.92.

With these numbers, why anyone would buy a truck with a 2.7L turbo V6 (complete with V8 sounds pumped through the speakers :ugh ) over a 395hp hemi is beyond me.

#12 · (Edited)
....With these numbers, why anyone would buy a truck with a 2.7L turbo V6 (complete with V8 sounds pumped through the speakers :ugh ) over a 395hp hemi is beyond me.
Isn't that like comparing it to the 4.7L V8. Ford also offers a turbo 3.5L, and IIRC a twin turbo version of some sort.

*EDIT*
Checked Ford's website. I guess I was wrong, I don't see a TT version, but they've also got 5.0L, and 6.2L V8's for those who want more power. I agree the Ram is better (obviously since I own one) but it has always bugged me that people pick lesser models to make comparisons. Like comparing a GT Mustang to a SS Camaro. Hey, I know, why not compare the one that's actually meant to be it's competition and compare the GT500, to the SS.

#11 ·
I reset my fuel mileage and drove ~65 on a 4 hour round trip getting just below 22mpg. I'm sure it would be better with 3.21's or 3.55's but I believe the 3.92's help mileage around town which I do most of my driving.

#13 ·
Sorry, I got off topic. Anyway, back on topic.

I took my truck to Columbus last week (about a 2.5-3 hour drive). On the way down, weather and traffic were not really an issue and my EVIC showed 22 mpg. On the way back, I had pretty heavy traffic, and rain the entire time. EVIC showed 19 mpg. Not bad considering Dodge only rates it at 21 mpg highway. Apparently even leveled, I'm getting what is expected out of it. I'll be getting gas when I go back out, so I'll have a hand calculated average to see how it did overall. That will include some city driving around C-Bus while I was down there, but even so I made it the entire week on 3/4 of a tank of gas. Considering the amount of miles I put on it, I don't think it's something I would have been able to do with my '07. These trucks are surprisingly efficient for as big, and powerful as they are.

PS, cruise was set at 67 mph when traffic allowed. Speed limits change between 65 and 70, so 67 puts me just over, or just under the whole time without having to adjust it.

#14 ·
So I was finally out, and got some fuel. Hand calculated, I averaged 19.7 mpg for the trip. I'm very pleased with that. I think the lie-o-meter was pretty close too. The trip down was slightly better than the truck is rated, the trip back was slightly worse than rated. Figuring the city driving that was done while I was down there is also included in that average, getting just short of 20 mpg is doing well. Heck, one day I was stuck in Columbus traffic for about an hour, creeping along at about 25 mph with stop/go. I really expected that to obliterate my average for the week. Dodge has really hit the mark with MDS, and the 8 spd. I'm just amazed a full size, 4 door, 4wd truck with a strong V8 can get that kind of mileage. Well done Dodge, well done.:cheers:

#19 ·
Average mpg is the average since you last reset it. Current is what you're getting right at that moment.

ECO is the MDS/cylinder de-activation... with the eco is lit up you're running on 4 cylinders instead of 8. there's no way to have it on all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.