DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HID'S- DDM vs Retro Solutions

9K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  mlobitz 
#1 ·
so im getting hid's for my truck. i assume i'll get 35watts, i dont want them too bright, just brighter. im leaning towards retro solutions, but wanted to run it past the forums. i think theyre plug and play, and i need something easy to install, i dont have alot of hid skills. the main reason i haven't done one is lack of knowledge about them. so, retro solutions seems like a good place. but alot of guys on here used ddm so i wanted to ask why you chose who you did. money is a factor but so is the total package and a quality product. i think i need digital so i can avoid the high startup wattage that blows relays and fuses. what do you guys suggest?

#2 ·
I have purchased from many vendors in the past, but there is a reason that I only go with Todd (Retro-Solutions) now. Service, and kits that WORK. I've had kits that flickered, or seen hundreds of threads here where people talked about their DDM, HID Extra, eBay special kits - and had issues. Good luck getting customer service from them!

Is DDM cheaper? Sure. Is it worth it? Not in my book.

#3 ·
I had an ebay kit first and had nothing but problems then I went with retro solutions and haven't had an issue in 2 years now...worth every penny

#4 ·
i've used ddm on my 2nd gen and on my 3rd gen... install is easy, the harness IS long enough for the main lights... Ebay resistors (ground to lowbeam, ground to highbeam to avoid lamp out issues) Had a ballast go out, ddm exchanged it (1 week turn around) Their stuff is of GOOD QUALITY for the price.

#5 ·
If you are debating on what brand to go with, our 35w bi-xenon HID kits are on sale for $135. Kits come with a lifetime warranty on all components.

#6 ·
I went with DDM because I had no problem with them not being a PnP kit. If you do not feel comfortable with messing with a new kit you just bought, then I would not hesitate to spend the little extra money for the security of a true PnP kit.
If you go with one of the true kits I would suggest one from the vendors on here. Why? Because they are familiar with how the Dodges can be when it comes to these lights. Some hid sellers have no clue that Dodge will need something extra to hook-up. They think that selling you a harness will solve your problems, it wont. You may need more than a harness, buy from the vendors here because this is Dodge and they have it all figured out.
If you are wondering what I mean by true PnP, I mean directly to your door, unbox, install on truck, get ready to see a million times better. OR buy DDM, get on eBay or Radio Shack and buy some resistors, solder the resistors into your lights, install everything, oh wait do you need a harness . . . You see where this can go

#7 ·
DDM resistors are plug and play. Their entire kit is plug and play. The only problem I had with DDM is a bulb go out right after I bought my 3rd kit, but they replaced it after I wrote them an email. I've never purchased retro solutions kit so I don't know which is better. However, after years of use... I have nothing but good things to say about DDM and their products.

Jasonsdakota: if you have any questions about install or whatever, feel free to shoot me a PM.

#8 ·
hid's

all i can say is the retro kits is a true pnp, love mine. service and a great product.

#9 ·
Not even a fair comparison lol

DDM is cheap, last I heard going out of business. Unless that has changed, takes forever to get your order. Their warranty department SUCKS!

Retro,IMHO is one of the best companies out their. Great product, good quality, Expensive though.

There are other good companies out there like h i d e x t r a. com and vvme.com

***Also DDM is not Plug In Play, Retro has the only TRUE PnP kit for our trucks :rck:

#10 ·
I'm another for retro-solutions... I bought a full retro kit from them and everything was a breeze. I bought from them for the lifetime warranty, the true PnP kit (less install time), and the customer service.

Jeremy does a lot of these kits and I would say that his vote carries weight for that very reason.

#12 ·
It's funny to move from forum to forum and seeing the different things people say about the same company. I swear, more often than not, people just regurgitate what others have said. Rather than form their own opinion. It's like a popularity contest haha. To each their own :) I'd help ya no matter what kit ya buy.

#13 ·
:huh:A popularity contest? Surely you jest... I speak solely from experience and offer opinions only when I feel strongly about it. Retro-Solutions did me right and because of it I will frely suggest their product to anyone who asks. It's a good product, a lifetime warranty, and some of the best customer service I've ever gotten...anywhere. I stopped giving a shit about popularity a long time ago, this aint high school, it's the real world.:ugh

#14 ·
I went with vvme.com and built my own harness. It's not hard if you're familiar with 12v electronics.

#17 ·
thanks for all the input. i spent the extra and went with retro. and after reading that link posted, it seems ddm is too smoke and mirrors for me. i had already bought them but that just confirms my decision.

pikes4life, i might just take you up on that. thanks.

#19 ·
If you bought the retro-solutions kit you won't need any help... Just plug it in and go; they can only be installed one way. In fact, the biggest decision you'll need to make is where you want to mount everything. Enjoy your lights!

#18 ·
Right on! Congrats on the upcoming mod!

#20 ·
ok, just got the headlights. a huge complex wiring harness came withit, and i would love a little help with the install. anyone ever done a writeup? or an install diy thread with pics?

#23 ·
Lay it out on the floor and it should become pretty obvious. The main harness plugs into the drivers side. The plugs will only connect one way... Don't be overwhelmed by the harness, just lay it out on the ground so it is spread out and you can see all of the connections. If you want to lay it out and snap a pic I'm sure someone can label the pic for you if you are still confused.

#21 ·
there is honestly only one way it can wire up (if you have the retro solutions harness). the one headlight plug goes into the driver side headlight plug to get a signal to turn on. then there is a red wire with a fuse that goes to the positive batt cable. there is then a set (2) plugs that fit into the ballasts and they will only plug in there. then you have a black cable with a circular loop on it that is a ground for each side of the harness and one I think on the main cable from the battery. make sure you have a good ground for these so it wont cause problems. then you have the resistors that you need to ground out (BE CAREFUL HERE!! theses resistors get pretty hot so keep them away from plastic, I used zip ties to keep them in the air behind the battery box. once that's done turn the lights on and you should be good to go. oh and the ballast connection goes into the bulb wiring.

#26 ·
I've bought many DDM kits for my vehicles, so have people I've known. I had a DDM kit on my 07. Never had any problems with them or heard of serious problems. Their kit with a harness worked fine on my 07 Ram. Now, with that said I do support buying from the community and vendors. Those who have put some actual R&D time in on making a product for specific market/vehicle only. If you don't understand HID's and how a system works/where the parts, ballasts, bulbs ultimately come from than go with a kit you know is proven like from Retro. If your comfortable enough to get it done for cheaper than there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.