DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

04-05 Ram 1500 2WD rear end ratios

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sherdep 
#1 ·
I am looking at buying a 04-05 Ram 1500 2WD with 4.7 engine. I will not be towing anything but will be driving a bunch on the highway. Which rear end will give the best hwy MPG and where do I find what the rear end ratio is? Someone told me glove box and another told me on the door. Any help appreciated.

#2 ·
It will be in the glove box and the there is also usually a sticker on the rear axle if it hasn't come off yet. Your best bet for a lot of highway driving is probably 3.92's. If the truck came stock with 17's it probably has 3.55's and if it came with 20's then it should have 3.92's. It also depends on what tire size you plan on running too...how tall are they?

#4 ·
Robert Phelps said:
The truck with the 20's had 265/60/20 the one with the 17's I'm not sure but they were stock. I'm just trying to get a bead on if there would be a huge MPG difference between these two trucks.
Welcome to Dodgetalk
are you looking at used or a new leftover truck?
probably used but am asking anyways.
How many miles on either truck?
MPG difference will be minimal the big diffrence will be if they are geared correclty for the tires

are you sure it wasnt 275/60/20 ... that is the stock tire on the 4x4 ..... if it has the 20's it is stock with 3.92 gears unless someone added the 20's after the fact.
If it has 17's you will most likely have 3.55 unless it is the offroad package then I think it will have the 3.92 with the 17's.

also check in the glove box to see if it has the anti spin diff ... alot of guys with the anti spin diff on the 1500 have had our trucks in for service because of broken clips.:VHOT:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.