DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shorty headers

2K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  mitchgmace 
#1 ·
are shorty headers worth it to buy and are there any legal issues with longtubes

#2 ·
jdetten said:
are shorty headers worth it to buy and are there any legal issues with longtubes
well I got Gibson headers for my hemi. On the dyno I only picked up 6HP with the full Gibson system. It's better than nothing but, a lot of $$$ for small gains.

#3 ·
as far as sound goes do the headers make much of a difference?

#5 ·
The labor is half the battle with headers. Because of that most people I know go the extra mile and run long tubes. I have longtubes on my TA an noticed the difference in power instantly. It was a great bolt on.

I plan to put long tube headers with no cats and small mufflers true dual out the back of my Hemi. I also hope to kill the torque mngt somehow. I want to speak to the tuner that will be tuning my car again. He's pretty crafty.

#6 ·
:cool:

#7 ·
I perfer long tubes because they increase both horsepower and torque (mainly torque) while shorties only really make a difference in the upper end.

#9 ·
There are legal issues with any kind of header if it is going to be installed onto an emissions restricted vehicle.

You'll haveta get a header that is ARB (Air Rescourses Board) approved.

#11 ·
jdetten said:
how do you go about the inspection then if you were to get some

Where do you live? Do you have to take your car into a station to get a sticker put on it? If you do, your screwed.

#15 ·
You need to find out if they do an emisions test and how strict it is. Just because those headers are legal to use doesn't mean the rig will pass emisions with them on. Mass and Cali are real strict.

#16 ·
get longtubes not a lot if any gain with shorty

#18 ·
hell no!!

#20 ·
BLACKWOLF said:
You need to find out if they do an emisions test and how strict it is. Just because those headers are legal to use doesn't mean the rig will pass emisions with them on. Mass and Cali are real strict.
Yeah I know: I hadta fail a guy for having (what he said) CARB legal shorty headers but it didn't have a number inscribed into them and the vehicle was lacking a sticker. :crazy:

Don't hate me guys! :)

Although I am a Smog Tech (I also work at a car wash for extra $$) and the guy I failed with the shorty headers owned a Dodge...there's just things I needta do unless I want California to take away my emissions liscense. :)

If you do get a 50 or 49 state legal ARB certified long tube header set: make sure there is a number inscribed into them and or there is a sticker you can put underhood for the smog guys.

#21 ·
Hemi Pete said:
there's just things I needta do unless I want California to take away my emissions liscense.

When I lived in Mass the inspection included being hooked up to an emissions computer. They stuff a meter up your tailpipe and test the rig at a pre set rpm. It tells no lies. And I've heard of brand new cars failing the test. So what I wonder is how that relates to a serial #. I mean if the headers are totally legit but still cause the car to fail the test then you still pass?

Just curious. Sounds like you know a heck of allot more about this than I.

#22 ·
Ok on the headers, If you take a close look at the stock Hemi exhaust manifolds. You will know that any header has to be an improvement! The stock design is very restrictive!

#23 ·
BLACKWOLF said:
When I lived in Mass the inspection included being hooked up to an emissions computer. They stuff a meter up your tailpipe and test the rig at a pre set rpm. It tells no lies. And I've heard of brand new cars failing the test. So what I wonder is how that relates to a serial #. I mean if the headers are totally legit but still cause the car to fail the test then you still pass?

Just curious. Sounds like you know a heck of allot more about this than I.
That is something I TOTALLY dislike about this smog program!!! :VHOT:

At Butte College in Oroville California where I trained to get my license (last year): a man had installed a Paxton supercharger setup to his 5.4L Ford V8. :huh:

His truck was a 2004 F-150, but because he had bought it off of a guy recently, he needed to get it smogged. :blah:

I was instructed to run the test while the teacher watched on, and the Ford passed with emissions BETTER than that of a stock 5.4L.

...but because the Paxton unit was not CARB certified, he failed the visual inspection therefore failing him for the overall smog inspection.

I still feel bad for the guy.

#24 ·
:cheers: :party: :cheers: glad there is no inspections here.

#25 ·
mitchgmace said:
:cheers: :party: :cheers: glad there is no inspections here.
What heavenly piece of earth do live on? :D

#26 ·
I live in Western Colorado. Wide open country. But, you pay the altitude price to God on HP. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.