DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

4.7 shorty headers

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  MOPARKEVIN 
#1 ·
anyone with a 4.7 put shorty headers on? if so, how were the results? any significant gains, train time differences, or did it make any difference in sound??

#2 ·
I like mine, I have the Gibson Ceramic Coated headers on mine. I noticed the difference but mind you they where the LAST mod on the "AIR IN/OUT" mod list.

I think you could use the Fastman 70MM throttle body first.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

#3 ·
I know you were talking about LTs at one time....any word on those? Hows your stroker/blower coming? Do you recomed a 70mm over the 65.5mm that fastman reccomends? Sorry for the hijack

#6 ·
My buddy just got a set of jbas for his 04 4x4 4.7
do they just bolt up or does he have to hack his ypipe up and weld it?

#7 ·
hemi1569 said:
My buddy just got a set of jbas for his 04 4x4 4.7
do they just bolt up or does he have to hack his ypipe up and weld it?
They bolt right up..Im running jba's on mine.

#8 ·
How do you like them? He just got into replacing parts on it for performance. So far he has very little, just a 70mmtb, afe cai and the headers that he needs to install.

#9 ·
There great, no complaints at all.

#10 ·
I have only tried fitting two differenct sets on my 2002 4.7L. I tried both HEDMAN & GIBSON. The Hedman headers just did not fit! They hit the steering shaft. After several attempts to have them send one that would fit... I had to toss in the towel with them.

I ordered a set of the Gibson headers and they bolted right in like a glove, taking me only 2.5 hours from start to finish... alone on my back under the truck.

We carry both the Gibson and JBA headers, If our prices are not the lowest priced total to your front door please let me know so I can make get them to your door for less.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

#11 ·
Do the shorty headers really help our trucks that much though?

It's my understanding that the factory manifolds flow pretty well for what they are. For those who have put the shorty's on, have they raised up the powerband at all? I've considered doing them, but the last thing I want to do is lose/move up any low end torque the motor is making.

#12 ·
6stringer said:
Do the shorty headers really help our trucks that much though?

It's my understanding that the factory manifolds flow pretty well for what they are. For those who have put the shorty's on, have they raised up the power band at all? I've considered doing them, but the last thing I want to do is lose/move up any low end torque the motor is making.
First... their is NO WAY ON GOD'S EARTH that a standard cast iron LOG STYLE header flows better then even the worst design shorty header.

The reason some people say that after installing headers is because they failed to address other "RESTRICTIVE" areas that where just as or more restrictive as the part they changed. Changing out the headers is but ONE and if its NOT the most restrictive part on your system. The exhaust will only flow as much as the most restrictive section will allow...

If you want results with a shorty header swap you must address your factory "Y" pipe and everything aft of that. For a 4.7L I personally recommend a true single 3" system as this will help keep much of your low end torque for work truck duties (Towing/Low end performance)

You have several restrictive areas in your exhaust system that hinder flow. The first one many people change is the muffler. Changing just the headers will NOT yield worth while gains... if you leave the "Y" pipe in place and so people THINK their stockers apparantly flowed well because their gains where small.

You also need to address the intake end of the system as well. Get the air in and get it out.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

#13 ·
AIR_RAM said:
First... their is NO WAY ON GOD'S EARTH that a standard cast iron LOG STYLE header flows better then even the worst design shorty header.

The reason some people say that after installing headers is because they failed to address other "RESTRICTIVE" areas that where just as or more restrictive as the part they changed. Changing out the headers is but ONE and if its NOT the most restrictive part on your system. The exhaust will only flow as much as the most restrictive section will allow...

If you want results with a shorty header swap you must address your factory "Y" pipe and everything aft of that. For a 4.7L I personally recommend a true single 3" system as this will help keep much of your low end torque for work truck duties (Towing/Low end performance)

You have several restrictive areas in your exhaust system that hinder flow. The first one many people change is the muffler. Changing just the headers will NOT yield worth while gains... if you leave the "Y" pipe in place and so people THINK their stockers apparantly flowed well because their gains where small.

You also need to address the intake end of the system as well. Get the air in and get it out.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

What did you use for a converter? Do you have any pictures of the Y-Pipe?

Thanks

#14 ·
A lot of guys are running the magnaflow 3in cat converter.

#16 · (Edited)
reward_1000 said:
What did you use for a converter? Do you have any pictures of the Y-Pipe?

Thanks
Sorry I missed your post....

reward_1000 said:
does anyone have the part number for the magnaflow converter? Thanks.
This is the EXACT same one Im running.... (3.0")

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

#20 ·
Hey Airram do you think LTs will be out this year? What kind of gains do you think they will be over the gibson shorties? I know this will probably be speculation but i would still like to know your estimates

#21 ·
We have only SPOKE about getting them done, we where told they could do it and would do it. The next step is $$,$$$.$$ which I don't have at this moment, the money tree has yet to grow any leaves... But I'm watering the heck out of it.

If its us your waiting on to come out with the long tubes... I don't see it happening this year unless we where to get 20+ die hard 4.7L owners with money up front and patients to wait for them to be built. In that case I could see it getting done.

We could start a 4.7L HEADER POOL, as much as I hate to take money up front without a thing in my hands to give back... it may be the only way to get 4.7L Long Tubes.

I would be willing to set up a link that would allow the "PURCHASE" of a set of VIRTUAL headers... when we accumulate 15,000 bucks we could get them made.

We would of course offer refunds for anyone wanting to back out.... Its a bunch of cash... but if enough 4.7L owners wanted them we could do it.

Since they would be a CUSTOM header, they would be on the expensive side.. I would venture to say 800-900 bucks.... Im not sure if we have 20 4.7L owners who have that kind of money to put into a "LONG TERM" Header investment.

Once we had the money up front to give, they would start the R&D, then ship a few test sets out, then if everything is good we would have our long tubes... FOREVER! As this would be added to their inventory...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

#22 ·
Y pipe ??

is there an after market Y pipe for 2003 4.7lt out there??? im installing JBA shorty's, high flow cat, and i already have Magnaflow exhaust, cold air intake, and soon i will purchase the 70mm tb. want to know if i can perchase a bolt up Y pipe or do you have to have someone build one??
thanks
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.