DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1999 Dodge ram 1500 5.9 has spark and fuel but wont start

36K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  chizzle1 
#1 ·
I parked my truck, came back 5 minutes later and it won't start. I have 48 psi at the fuel rail, I tested the wire going to the injectors and that blinks. I have spark. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor (whis was a pain in the A$$). I even sprayed starting fluid in the air intake. Wont even fire at all
Any other ideas?

#2 ·
have you checked your dist cap and rotor to see if its not messed up, if they are ok I would try putting number one cyl at tdc and see where your rotor is pointing. If you have a strong spark and fuel it should start unless the spark is not happening when it should

#3 ·
I have not done that yet, I just can't imagine it jumped time by simply shutting it off. I will check that it points to #1 @ TDC, and I'm going to give it a comppression test too..... one note, the spark is not bright blue, more of an orange color.... but it jumps 1/4" from a screwdriver. That should be enough to at least fire?

#4 ·
Cap and rotor show signs of wear, but are in ok shape. Copression is 120-130 all around. I didn't get TDC brought up to see if timing is ok (seems unlikely that it changed but I'll get my son to help me tonight do this). Does anybody know if the PCM controlls spark, or does it just control the fuel injectors? Does the cam sensor pickup plate do anything but send RPM to the dash?

#5 · (Edited)
I believe both crank and cam are used to keep things synced. Remove the first O2 sensor to rule out a clogged cat. We saw this here before. Also the coil can go out without warning. I know you said you had spark with the screw driver but spark at compression takes more energy.

#6 ·
The pcm controls everything. The cam and crank sensors work together to let the pcm know where and when to fire. DO NOT move the distributor to adjust timing! Timing is controlled by the pcm. Moving the distributor will throw off your fuel synk. You said you had spark but where did you check it? From the coil or at one of the wires?
Cap and rotor show signs of wear,
That's a good enough sign to replace it. If you have spark to the plugs compression and fuel/starting fluid it should do something.

#7 ·
I replaced the coil. I will try removing the 02 sensor. I have good spark at the plugs. I am not moving the distributor. I guess I'll try replacing the distributor pick up (cam sensor) since that is the only thing I haven't tried.

Like I said I have spark at the plugs, and there is fuel in the cylinder the plugs have some gas on them when I pull them out. It's not flooded out though.

Can the ECM still produce spark but just not send it to the plug at the right time? It seems that is the function of the distributor cap and rotor and the ECM would just be what advances the timing when required and sync the fuel injectors. I am stumped at this point.

#8 ·
bad fuel?

#10 ·
:tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.