DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rear differential noise

14K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  truckguygmc23 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab full time 4x4 with 3.55 lsd rear. The dealer just rebuilt/replaced the whole differential under warranty due to a howling noise. When I picked the truck up, the vehicle still made noise and developed a knocking/thumping when I would turn and a popping noise when I would brake. Took it back to the dealer and they said that the vehicle needed new axle shafts and that the pinion bearing was making noise. Picked the truck up after they put the pinion bearing in and the axle shafts and the axle whine/noise dissappeared, but a different pitch noise showed up while driving down the highway. The vehicle still thumped/knocked while turning and popped while braking. Went for a ride with service manager. Said that the cap was amplifing the noise and that some noise was normal. Also found rear axle shafts to have excessive play causing the thumping/braking issue. Could that excessive play be the reason why the truck has a higher pitch whine at highway speeds as well? Sorry for the long post, I'm just very frustrated with this situation. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
well to answer part of your question yes there is a TSB out about the axle shafts being part of the rear brake issue. My truck has a little bit of a howl but I just ignore it.

#3 ·
I have the same noise and vibration problem (it seems that the LSD is locking all the time when the oil is hot), when i'm running in the higway and i stop for fuel, the slow turn inside the gas station is noisy and the wheels feel like they are blocked (tac, tac, tac, tac with a vibration). I also have a new diferential installed 2 months ago.

Somebody told me that the special oil for LSD diferentials it's not enough in these trucs, and that they need an additive for stopping these symptoms.

ANYONE WITH MORE INFO???????

#4 ·
ok, got the truck back yesterday and the popping noise from the brakes and the thud from the axle shafts moving in and out are gone. However, the axle still has a loud howl/whine and 65mph. The dealer says this is normal and that the fiberglass cap is amplifying the noise. Does anyone have a truck with a fiberglass cap and a lsd rear end? If so, is it noisy? I have a bedliner with a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet over the top of it. If I stuck a piece of foam between the bedliner and carpet do you think that would quiet it down?

#6 ·
Hi Guys,

Thought I would give you an update. I got the truck back from the dealer and they put another new carrier in it. This is the 3rd carrier since Jan 09'...They tried to put a shim kit in with the last carrier to try to stop the excessive axle play and when they put the shims in it would bind up. So they found the carrier to be machined wrong and replaced that and did not put the shim kit in. Well the damn thing still whines at 50-70mph and there is still excessive play with thumping/thudding, brake shudder/popping...etc. So I have an appointment with the service manager of a different dealership next week so we will see what we come up with then.

#7 ·
I got the truck back today from the other dealership. Man this thing is like butter! This dealership fixed this truck in a matter of a week and the other dealership tried to fix it for 3 mos and they never could fix it. My brake shudder is gone, clunking is gone in both the front and rear of the truck, no more axle shafts sliding around clanking. The overall feel of the truck is better. The only noise that is made now is from the exhaust, they think one of the resonators is bad so there is a droning noise around 60-70 but its not too bad. I'm gonna replace the exhaust system by the end of the summer anyways so it's no biggie.

#8 ·
good to hear she working good for ya.

#9 ·
Well the rear diff noise is back again and it is getting louder... What gives? 2 dealers have rebuilt this thing. I'm bring it back to the dealer tommorow. My 00' w/8.25 open diff never made noise. It seems to me that no matter what they do, they can't get this rear end to stay quiet. That's such bullshit. I think I will ask them to take out the lsd and make it an open diff. I don't think I need the lsd anyways since the truck is AWD. The rear brakes are popping as well. Do the 9.25 axles have the noise issues as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.