DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noise from rear of trans or differential?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  RedRocketRedRkt 
#1 ·
2000 RAM 1500 2wd 360. Since about 30,000 miles the noise has been getting worse. About 75,000 miles now and so loud I'm embarassed to drive this thing. At 45 mph, no matter which gear, with enough throttle to maintain speed, the noise is constant whine. If the throttle is released slightly the noise almost goes away. Sounds like tooth mesh pattern problems to me, any one agree / disagree?

When taking in for service on this topic, I have been told that "half the trucks on the lot" make similar noise. Worse yet is the diagnosic charge of $135 just to open the diff and check for anything broke. Since the manufactures warranty was up at 36,000 and the extended only covers "broke" parts, what is there to do?

It probably would not be so bad except this is not the only problem with this truck and I also own an Intrepid. Maybe I am just stupid.

#2 ·
I have a 1998 Ram that does something quite similar. I dont know what it is just yet but it is going in tomarrow morning so by the end of the day I should know. I'll keep you posted but I agree with the embarrasing part. I'm proud of my truck and all but I'm almost wondering if it is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.