DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rear end of truck making a whining noise, help!

33K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  dacooley 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4. Here recently I have begun to hear a slight noise coming from the rear end of the truck. I think it may be from the rear differential, but I am not sure. Basically what it does it as you start going it whines as you increase the speed. It is not all that loud but definately noticable. It does not matter if it is in gear or just coasting it is the same. It almost sounds like aggressive tires as you increase and decrease speed, but I have normal AT tires. Could it be low differential oil or time to change the oil? There is not anything leaking from it. All is stock with no mods. I would really appreciate the help.

thanks

#2 ·
If you let of the gas when your at a steady speed does it come and go as you tap the gas. Mine didn't leak when it was bad and the sound will keep getting louder. If you take it to any garage and go around the block they will be able to tell by the sound. Can't give ya a price cause I had just got my tuck from a dealer and they covered it. It took a little talking cause they said it wasn't part of the power train (anything that makes it move). Not sure what your plans are for mods but if I was paying for it I'd at least make it a LSD (POSI). Click on the "search" at the top and try "REAR END" "LSD"(not the drug)or "POSI". You might even see some prices mentioned.

#3 ·
It is always there. It just seems get higher pitched the faster I go. Once I get to a good speed, 75-80 mph, it seems to be not a noticeable. I also can't hear it with the radio on. That is what I have been doing, is turning on the radio on for now. I know I can't mask it forever. I just hope that it is not something serious.

So what are you saying that the problem may be?

#5 ·
Mine has been doing the same thing. Gets louder the faster you go. I'm sure it's "play" in the ring and pinion inside the rear end, so, other than being noisy, I don't think it'll "down" the Ram. My theory on repair has been, I'll fix it when it breaks. So far I've gone 40K miles with it being like that. If it concerns you too much, the repair will be a new ring and pinion gear.

#6 ·
I would recommend both of you getting the Ring and Pinion replaced. My 96 made the same noise for a while, until the rear end exploded. $2500 later I got a new rear end.

#7 ·
:tup: I agree, that's the smart thing to do. I only have not change mine yet because the fluid level is OK, and it has never gotten worse. No excuses though, the correct thing is to fix it and not be stranded.

#8 ·
My old 88 150 was doing the same thing and it turned out to be the pinion bearing gone bad. That let the pinion gear push harder into the ring gear and make the noise. I took mine to the shop after 2 days of making the noise, and they said I did the right thing cuz it only cost me a bearing, not new ring and pinion.

Don't know if your's is the same problem, but that's my experience.

#10 ·
Those truck are infamous for blowing rear ends. They used to put crappy oil in there from the factory. My 97 blew it also. Get it squared away as quick as your able or you might have nasty little failure. You dont' want your rear end to lock up while your going down the road.

#11 ·
I feel your pain GAwarrior. My 96 1500 4x4 sport was making the same noises you described. Started out barely noticeable at about 55k. By the time I had 80k on her, I had to turn up the radio to keep it from driving me nuts. Took her in to my local Dodge dealer, decent mechanics all of them, and they said bad bearings. They replaced all the bearings and seals and lightened my wallet $650.00. Well, at least I got my sanity back! BTW-My diff is a 9-3/4" sure-grip with 3.55's.

#13 ·
carolinaRam said:
Mine has been doing the same thing. Gets louder the faster you go. I'm sure it's "play" in the ring and pinion inside the rear end, so, other than being noisy, I don't think it'll "down" the Ram. My theory on repair has been, I'll fix it when it breaks. So far I've gone 40K miles with it being like that. If it concerns you too much, the repair will be a new ring and pinion gear.
Yeah... and hope your not 500 miles from home in the middle of no where when it grenades and leaves you stranded...
If you have it fixed now, it may only be a couple hundred bucks for new pinion bearings... if you let it go, try 2000-3000 for a whole new rear axle assembly and whatever else explodes when it goes...

#14 ·
Thanks for the advice. If you look 2 posts past what you quoted of me, you'll see I had had noted that my comment was not a good excuse. Re-reading my post, I certainly DON"T fix my truck "when it breaks". That's not the way to do maintenance. By the way, where did you get your 180 thermostat? I can't seem to find one in stock anywhere. Did you have to take loose the alternator to get to it?

#15 ·
I got mine from Autozone for 5.99 (stant)
didn't pull anything off to change it...
drained coolant, pulled off Heater hose from Nipple next to thermostat, used long extension and universal to take out thermostat housing bolts, pulled thermo housing out with upper hose as a handle, cleraned things up, dropped in thermostat, rtv's gasket to housing, and a little on the bottom, and set housing back down with upper hose, torqued bolts, hooked heater hose back up and filled it up...
Do yourself a favor and buy plain generic aspirin...
take 1, and put the thermostat in boiling water to open it... pull it out with pliers, and hold the aspirin in the gap of the thermostat opening to hold it open... as it cools, it will clamp on the aspirin...
install it like that, and when you refill the cooling system, all the air comes out the top radiator hose... start it and top it off... as it runs for the first couple minutes, the aspirin will dissolve and the thermostat will close until it heats up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.