DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WHining noise

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  chizzle1 
#1 ·
Was just wondering what you think the problem is. I think my rearend is going, i drive about 20km each morning and near the end of that 20km the truck starts whining but you can only hear it in the cab, or from what i can hear and it seems to go away when i suddenly jerk the truck but then comes right back and when i play with the transfercase shifter it takes the sound away for a bit then it comes back, and i noticed that when i go in reverse and speed up i hear a loud clanking noise coming from the diff. and whenever i put the truck in drive it makes a loud clunk which i know dodges do that to an extent but not that hard and when i put it in reverse it makes a loud clunk, and it seems there is alot of play. checked U-joints and they are fine in on all the shafts. And also when iam travelling on the highway if you keep the pedal steady then let off and hit the gas again it makes a loud clunk, so iam guesiing the diff. but is that what is making the whining noise?

#2 ·
the clunk is the back lash out of tolerance.
How many miles are on the vehicle?
If the whine goes away when you shift the weight from one side to the other then that will atleast tell you what side it's on. (if you turn slightly to the left and it goes away, that tells you it's a driver side bearing).
Have you checked the fluid levels lately?

#3 ·
i figured out what the clunk was, it was the rear U-joint, haha i guess i set a new record for lasting the longest, i got about 30,000km out of that one, cant seem to keep a u-joint in that shortbox. Rearend is fine. the whining i think is has to do with the front axle

#4 ·
i figured out what the clunk was, it was the rear U-joint, haha i guess i set a new record for lasting the longest, i got about 30,000km out of that one, cant seem to keep a u-joint in that shortbox. Rearend is fine. the whining i think is has to do with the front axle
I think you should inspect the yoke on the rear diff when you replace that rear u joint. If you are getting that short of service life from the u joints then either some vibrations are going on are you are buying junky u-joints.
I still have the original set (spicer I think) in mine with 109,000 on the truck.
Have a qualified rear diff mechanic look into that. If it's vibrating enough to destroy the rear u joints, it won't be long before you're replacing the pinion seal.

#5 ·
ya it seems like once the original U-joint goes i cant seem to keep an aftermarket one in, been like that with all my dodges

#6 ·
what brand of u joint are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.