DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutting Coil Springs

18K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  rptr00 
#1 ·
OK, so I am wanting to lower my D, and I was thinking about trying to cut my springs. I see that some of the Ram guys have done this. I have always been told that cutting springs is very bad. I have thought about it for a while. What if any problems could this cause. I am only going to cut about 1 coil. I know a lot of people have their opinions, just looking for someone with first hand experience that could offer advice or suggestions.

#2 ·
Take it from someone who used to work on a stock car team...the more you cut off of a spring...the stiffer it gets..as to how stiff..that depends on the diameter of the spring wire.

#3 ·
you need to just make sure that you cut EXACTLY the same amount from each spring. people do it all the time. As long as both springs are even, you are ok. If not, you will got one side sitting lower than the other. The you will have one side pulling while driving down the road. Then you will need a front end alignemtn every 3 months. Its gets frustrating.

#4 ·
yeah, I was already thinking the cutting and measuring will be a bit difficult. As for the stiffer spring, that wouldnt be so bad. My D feels really soft up front already. I dont plan to cut alot, just a little bit. I will be shooting for about 1 inch. The Ram guys say 2 coils is about 4 inches, so I will use that as a reference. So I guess I will cut less than 1 coil.

#6 ·
First, there are no "kits" out there for an 03. You have to piece it together. Second, I want to do this as a free project / experiment. I have had 2 inch bell tech springs on my D about 2 years ago and the ride was very bouncy up front. Now this was with factory shocks that have since been replaced. I have a set of 2 inch blocks laying around my garage, but would need new u bolts. I may try to work something with the leafs, maybe remove one of the springs or something, not sure on that yet. Anyhow, if this can all be done for practically no cost, I think a lot of people would be interested to know the outcome. Again, this is more of an experiment. I would be willing to put drop springs later on or possibly try out factory R/T or V6 springs.

#7 ·
I'd like to point out that there's no coil springs on a gen I D:thatfunny

#10 ·
Haven't ever seen the front of a 2wd Durango then have you?

Reactions: cmstrahan28
#8 ·
you might want to do a search before saying there are no kits for a 03 or any other generation 1 durango. Here you go
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DURA...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

and I do understand about the low to almost no money for a experiment which is a good thing to see what could happen, like I said before I only paid the 25 bucks for the blocks, and that's it at auto zone. I also had to find the kit with the bigger u bolts. I had a friend that went to home depot and had ubolts made there for 10 bucks.

#9 ·
To clarify, there are no kits from the major companies (Bell Tech, Ground Force, DJM...). I have seen the ebay SpringTechs, but dont know much about them or their quality so I ruled them out.

As for Gen 1 without springs? I have a 2wd with coils up front and leaf springs out back

Home Depot for u-bolts? I'll have to check into that.

#11 ·
hereis a pic of the 2wd coil spring set up for those who have not seen it

#12 ·
Bleu, you shot yourself in the foot man.

#19 ·
Dr. Scholl's can't help me with this one! Truth is, I've never seen a 2wd Durango!

#15 ·
Again, most "kits" stop at 2002. I dont know the reason why.

#16 ·
#17 ·
Today, I finished the front end. I cut about a 1/4 coil, reinstalled everything, drove it around to let everything settle. This got me about 1 inch. Ripped everything apart one last time, and this time cut just a little less than the first time. Again, reassembled everything and took it for a drive. Now I'm sitting at about 2 inches. I didnt get out on the highway, just neighborhood streets. It honestly feels real good. Not too firm. I installed new shocks about 6 months ago, so I'm sure that helped. The truck has always ridden very rough, so I was a little worried about the increased spring rate. Well, it feels great. This has cost me nothing!:D
The truck has a slight rake to it right now, added with the larger tires in back. The rear tires are about 1/2 inch taller. I have a set of 2 inch blocks that I might put on or leave off. not sure yet. I like the raked look.

AFTER PIC

#18 ·
I think it looks fine the way it is. I would leave the back the way it is, in the event you go on vacation and throw some stuff in there. The suspension will keep the body off the wheels. Speed bumps wont put you into the body either.

#20 ·
wanted to post an update on things. as the front suspension settled and got a few more miles on it, the front end was beginning to feel a bit bouncy. Well, thats because it was sitting right on the bump stops. To keep the no cost mod alive, and researching a little online, I decided to go ahead and cut them. Everything I read recommended trimming as much as the drop itself. Well, I cut about an inch and a half from each side. Now it rides much better and the bounce has been eliminated.

#21 ·
cut your spring??? are you serious? Regaurdless of what people say I wouldnt cut a spring. For one it has to fit the control arm, there is a reses in there were it fits. Also it will ride like crap cause you have less linear lenght of the spring. making it stiff.

Just get the kit and do it right, that way if you want to go back you just put your old stuff back in.

Dont rig your vehical!

#23 ·
I can appreciate your concern, as I also used to think the same way. After carefully researching the technique, I can assure you it is a harmless mod on this type of coil spring if cut properly. I have driven about 900 miles on the truck since the mod and it rides and handles great. No regrets!:rck:

I take exception to what you said about it riding like crap. The stiffness usually comes from bottoming out on the bumpstops, leaving little to no room for suspension travel on the shorter spring. In fact, after the initial test drive, I found the front upper control arm was just a hair from contacting the bumpstop which resulted in stiffness. I trimmed about 2 inches off the bumpstop and the soft ride returned. It is almost too soft. That is easily corrected by changing the shocks. I could have purchased new, shorter bumpstops but chose to trim them instead. Also, I have no caster or camber issues as a result of this mod.

My idea with this mod was to lower my durango at little to no cost. I had 2" bell tech lowering springs on this same durango 2 years ago and will tell you the spring rate is very close to what I have now. The only I plan to change is replacing the trimmed stock bumpstops with shorter bumpstops (less than $20). Yeah, it is a permanent mod once they are cut, but you can pick up replacements at the junkyard on the cheap if you ever decide to go back.

#22 ·
It looks great with the back just a little bit higher!! I had a 99 dakota that i lowered the front 4" and the rear 2" putting bigger tires on the rear....the rack look is awsome!! You talked about using V6 springs if cutting didnt work...just an fyi...I did that on my dakota to throw the weight to the back of the truck when i slammed the gas ( i drag raced the truck)....but your D looks awsome!! and i found this tread intresting!

#24 ·
Thanks for the positive comments. I want to bring the back down about 2 inches. This will give it about a 1 inch rake since my rear tires are about 1/2 inch taller and the front is down about 2 1/2 inches. I have a set of 2 inch blocks from a previous project but have yet to acquire the 3 5/8 ubolts, they are just not that common. I was thinking about modifying the rear leafs. I'm not sure if there is a way to, since I haven't tried it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.