DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moes 87MM Throttle body Review.

35K views 96 replies 33 participants last post by  sunburst08 
#1 ·
I removed my Fastman 85MM-throttle body.
Installed my 87MM from Moes.
This is about a 10 minute job,if you can change a lightbulb you can do this mod.

Caution though; The tq needed to tighten the throttlebody is very low,so all you really need to do,is snug it up till it starts to tighten up,then stop.Its in inch pounds,so just be careful.

I took a couple days to review the unit,I really wanted to make sure I didnt have a code,or surging issue pop up after i posted the review.

Day 1
Inital review:
1.There is a noticeable difference between the Fastmann and Moes,which surprised me because I really liked my fastmann 85MM unit.

1.Truck has more pull right from idle,this was my biggest surprise,I was really only expecting to see a difference in the upper RPM.

2.Part throttle is improved also,you dont need to put to the floor to feel the difference,its notcieable everywhere.

3.Passing gear will put a smile on your face,truck pulls hard,but around 4000 RPM you can actually feel and hear the intake switching over to the longer intake runners.

4.No hesitation right from idle,I kind of expected to get a bit off lag with the bigger throttlebody but theres none there.

Day 2.
5.I loaded up a 91 tow tune with Superchips,since thats what I run on my truck 95% of the time,and this is where you will really notice the extra power,the advanced timing with the Superchips,and the more air coming into the motor,seems to really make the truck fun to drive and when you floor it,things get noisy fast.The sound of the intake gets a little louder,and when it starts pulling in the upper RPM it is very impressive.
No surging just really long steady pulling.

Well thats it.No codes,no surging,no excessive high idle nothing.
I am surprised by how well it works,Im even more surprised that i can feel a very noticeable difference over my 85MM Fastman unit.

I would expect any truck would notice a difference with this unit,but I would suggest pairing it with a good intake,if you truly want to see what this unit can do.
I have a good intake,and I think that is part of the reason I feel such a big difference with this unit.

I have not tried the 85MM unit Moes so i cant tell you its better or worse than Moes 87MM unit,but i can tell you its a good upgrade over my old 85MM unit.

Thanks for the great throttlebody Matt.
Sorry I wont be sending it back to you anytime soon.LOLOL.

See less See more
#2 ·
nice!

#4 ·
I'm very VERY glad to see an honest review from one of the few "go fast guys" left on this forum with actual cred. Now, I'm glad I ordered my headers, but can't wait to order a Moe's TB.

#6 ·
You wont be dissapointed.
Hope to see you guys next spring at the track.
Cheers:

#5 ·
Sold me on this mod, haven't put any performance money into my truck for a long time and this looks to be the next purchase

#9 ·
Hope to see you guys at the track next spring.
Cheers.

#8 ·
Nice, that is what I want to hear thanks for the reviews.

#12 ·
Im looking forward to another review.
Im sure everyone looking at purchasing this throttlebody would like another opinion.
Do a battery reset,touch the positive and negative cables together for at least 30 seconds.do not touch the posts together.

#11 ·
Grant, thank you for being the test truck on this mod. I'm very happy to hear your results. Musclemckeester will be receiving his tomorrow, and I would like to get 1 more out there on a bone stock or near stock truck. If anyone else would like to try this 87mm on a stock truck, shoot me a PM. I will offer you the same $299 deal.

Once I get feedback from the stock truck test, I will be porting a run of these and adding them to the site.

#13 ·
All I have is a Volant CAI and Mag 14 inch ;)

If he is noticing a difference switching from 85 to 87 im willing to give it a try.

#14 ·
Are the 87s going to work on 3rd gens as well? Are they worth putting on without also upgrading to exhaust headers?

#15 ·
Yes, we will be porting the 87mm TB's for all 03-2012 hemi trucks. 04.5-12 all share the same part#, so it makes it easy. I'm waiting to see how the stock trucks react before I say whether you will need headers to run the 87. Even if the stock trucks dont feel the same gains that Grant did with his, our 85mm has proven itself as a great upgrade for both stock and modded trucks.

#16 ·
Sound like great work and a great product ... :) :tup:

#20 ·
I already have 3 units going out to stock trucks, so we are good on the testing for now. I was going to wait for their results, but because we already know it will perform on the modded trucks, we went ahead and started a run of 10 units. I will have these boxed up and ready to go around the middle of next week. I will make a post in here and add them to the website as soon as I have them in my hands and ready to ship.

#46 ·
Hey Moes, so what kind of gain will I see with my mods and what's the different between the 85mm and 87mm TB, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on one of these. Thanks for your reply.

#22 ·
Received mine in the mail yesterday and had it installed within 10 minutes :D

Haven't reset the ECU yet but I can still notice a difference. From start up the first thing I noticed is my exhaust was a little louder which I enjoyed. From a stop I noticed slightly improved throttle response. Nothing drastic but I have noticed that my '12 already had a better response than my '09. There seems to be slightly more low end torque but I have not had time to really test it out. Tonight I will reset my ECU and drive it around for a few days and post what I have noticed.

#24 ·
I Want!

#25 ·
Ill try and get a video up like I said I would.
But its been snowing almost everyday since the install,and the roads are not dry.

The weather is supposed to change on Thursday,if the roads are dry Ill get a video up.
It should give people an idea as to how well these things really perform.

#29 ·
The easiest way is to disconnect the battery before you start working.

:)

#30 · (Edited)
Here you go Matt I've got concrete evidence that the 87mm TB is kick azz coupled with a Vararam CAI (Pulls are with my 22" wheels).

Here are the results the previous set-up vs the new setup.....
Pull with Mopar CAI and 84mm Fastman TB
Tune revision from HemiFever (1/4 tank and 86 degrees)
0-60mph in 5.579 secs
35-75mph in 5.448 secs
35-90mph in 9.027 secs
0-90mph in 11.695 secs

Right click and open image in new tab to make it bigger....I swear I hate DT when I comes to posting pictures.

Pull with Vararam intake and Moe's Performance 87mm TB
Same Tune revision from HemiFever with Vararam/87mm (full tank and 74 degrees)
0-60mph in 5.573 secs
35-75mph in 5.445 secs
35-90mph in 8.751 secs
0-90mph in 11.138 secs

I know the Vararam and 87mm TB pull was at 74 degrees but I also had a Full tank of gas vs 1/4 I had it earlier today.....All I can say is wow the Vararam and 87mm TB start to pull away after 75mph !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.