DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2001 Dodge Ram 1500

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Moparite 
#1 ·
I own a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 and it will not start. It won't turn over when I turn the key. I have had the starter tested and it's fine. We made sure I had enough voltage in my battery to turn the truck over. We made sure all my grounds were okay. We tried bypassing the safety switch on the slave cylinder for the clutch. We checked fuses and the ignition seems to be fine because it still when I turn the key shuts power off to the radio and air to tell the truck it's time to crank. We tried jumping the starter and nothing happens. It's a standard so you can still push start it and it runs fine. I don't know what else to try and need some advice.

#2 · (Edited)
I own a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 and it will not start. It won't turn over when I turn the key. I have had the starter tested and it's fine. We made sure I had enough voltage in my battery to turn the truck over. We made sure all my grounds were okay. We tried bypassing the safety switch on the slave cylinder for the clutch. We checked fuses and the ignition seems to be fine because it still when I turn the key shuts power off to the radio and air to tell the truck it's time to crank. We tried jumping the starter and nothing happens. It's a standard so you can still push start it and it runs fine. I don't know what else to try and need some advice.
Somethings fishy; rotted out cable clamps at batt?? (had that issue one time; clamp "looked fine", but inside was eaten away)

... Be darn sure trans is in NEUTRAL (we don't want anyone run over or squashed); directly jump the starter with both cables coming from a second source (another vehicle or battery), see what happens.

... Welcome to DT; and "good or bad", post the outcome to help others.

#8 ·
You are either not getting voltage to the large lug on the starter or your starter is bad. When you jumped the solenoid, did it give out a big spark? Test the voltage on the large wire running from the starter relay to the large lug. If you have 12V there then the problem is in the starter.

I have seen starters with "dead spots" that test well at the parts house but need a few love taps from a hammer while turning the key to get them to turn over.

#12 · (Edited)
The OP stated that when he jumped the starter, nothing happened. Based on this, I say he is either not getting the 12V constant from the battery or the starter is bad. That is why I said to check the large cable. Ground could also be the problem though.
"Yup"!! ... "jumped the starter, nothing happened" is a big red flag; that's why I said "something is fishy" and suggested to jump the starter from another vehicle/battery. (with your trans in NEUTRAL, jump from buddys battery to your starter)
... As txwooley said; try love taps with a hammer.
... Either "tested" starter is bad, or there's a cable or end/clamp issue; unless jumper cable/s faulty (wouldn't be the first time).

#16 ·
If you jump the starter from a buddies vehicle as key99 suggests, don.t forget to connect the jumper ground to the starter housing or the engine block. You can't use his positive and your negative.

key99 mentions several times about having the trans in NEUTRAL. I got pinned against a brick wall once while helping a neighbor start her car one morning. I was in front of the car tapping the starter with a crescent wrench from above while she held the key in start. When the starter turned over the car jumped forward just enough to pin me against the wall of the building and bruise a couple of ribs but thankfully, the engine did not start. Just a few days before I had bypassed the safety switch on her clutch thinking that was the problem.

#17 · (Edited)
If you jump the starter from a buddies vehicle as key99 suggests, don.t forget to connect the jumper ground to the starter housing or the engine block. You can't use his positive and your negative.

key99 mentions several times about having the trans in NEUTRAL. I got pinned against a brick wall once while helping a neighbor start her car one morning. I was in front of the car tapping the starter with a crescent wrench from above while she held the key in start. When the starter turned over the car jumped forward just enough to pin me against the wall of the building and bruise a couple of ribs but thankfully, the engine did not start. Just a few days before I had bypassed the safety switch on her clutch thinking that was the problem.
... "Both cables from a second source" is in first reply to thread; I've just got tired of repeating myself, lol; this would rule out faulty battery too.

... If her car had neutral switch you would not have been pinned.

IMHO neutral switch is far far far better than clutch switch (imo should ban them dangerous effn clutch switches!!).

... Story: my small truck with OE clutch switch but no neutral switch: parked in front of 4' wall that was between 18' and 10' garage doors on a truss bearing wall (not gable wall), wall is 40' attached to house.
... Long story short: my very young fella started motor, let out clutch, LURCH FORWARD; the 4' wall that supported headers for both doors (and one end of all the trusses) got pushed off of it's concrete grade beam, the whole one side of the roof was now precariously standing on two 2x8 spruce on a bad angle on a slippery concrete floor; with the roof overhang ready to crash down onto the cab/windshield. ... Yup, a miracle.
... Anyway, used chains to secure both 2x8s separately to grade beam, jackalls etc to get truck of off grade beam; then jacks/wood/tractor/comealong/chains etc to slide the wall back, then get it on top of the grade beam.
... It's a miracle, and no one was hurt (scared as heck though). ... Garage doors were not installed yet, so only some flashing damaged; truck was ok.

Neutral switches prevent lurches while starting up, while clutch switches are often inadvertently the cause of lurching after startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.