HELP Automatic Durango won't shift out of park - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

Closed Thread

post #1 of 14 Old 02-05-2007, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
married4kids

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HELP Automatic Durango won't shift out of park

This morning my husband got ready to take the kids to school and our 2001 Dodge Durango Automatic Transmission will not shift out of park.
The car ran when he started it, the oil looked fine.
Please advise if you can!
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-05-2007, 09:28 AM
RAM MAN
Originating Member

First off WELCOME to the site

I had something like this happen when I owned a 98 RAM

so try this -

grab the steering wheel and try to turn it from side to side (Like you are driving around a corner)

then see if you are (for sure) in park

and try it again

hopefully that will do it

it only happened once or twice, but thats all I had to do to get it going again

Keep us posted

and again WELCOME to the site

Quote:
Good luck on your project.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-05-2007, 10:52 AM
RAM MAN
Originating Member

well ?

did that fix it ?

Quote:

post #4 of 14 Old 02-05-2007, 11:41 AM
dale02slt

My Durango has a "interlock" that requires the brake pedal to be depressed for the gear selecter to be moved. Could it be that either the switch, wiring, or solenoid is malfunctioning?

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 Green/Silver 4.7L V8 3.55 gears Tires: 31 x 10.5 x 16 (2) Michelin LTX M/S & (2) BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's (new)

Mods: 2" T/S Lift

God Squad 1997 - eternity
post #5 of 14 Old 02-05-2007, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
married4kids

(Thread Starter)
thanks i'm back

no he tried adjusting the steering wheel (rotating it), and yes we also have to press the brake to get the gear stick to move however it still rests in its current state (PARK)
Kind of bummed b/c we just got a new car so that we wouldn't have to share the truck.
I don't know what to do. Do u think adding some transmission fluid might work? Seeing that the temperature outside is soooooo low today down here?

Thank you!
post #6 of 14 Old 02-05-2007, 05:44 PM
!05RAM05!
Previously Micash21

are you parked on an incline?? could be that its "locked" into park. look under the dash around the area of the brake pedal and see if there are any wires that look out of place.

New: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QCSB 4x4 Hemi Laramie Bright Silver
Flowmaster SI/DO 40 Series. Superchips 3865 - 91 Tune, 2/4 drop, More to come............

::GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN::2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QCSB 4x4 Hemi Sport Black
5.5" Rough Country Lift, Dick Cepek DC2 20x9, 325/60R20 Nitto Terra Grappler's, Superchips 3865 - 91 Tune, Extang Tonneau Cover, K&N Cold Air Intake, Bosch Platinum 4 plugs, Magnaflow Y-Pipe, SI/DO Flowmaster Original 40 Series, Synthetic Everything, 7000K Headlights, Foglights and Hellas..

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 Black
Hypertech 87 Tune, K&N Cold Air Intake, Bosch Platinum 4 plugs, Bosch 8.5mm Wires. Ported Throttle Body, SI/DO Flowmaster Original 40 Series Muffler, Headman Headers, 3" PA BL, 2" T/S Lift, 33x12.50R15 Firestone Destination M/T's, 15x8 Eagle Alloy Wheels.

BTC Member 211 - Steel Reserve
post #7 of 14 Old 02-06-2007, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
married4kids

(Thread Starter)
hello everyone haven't been home to try anything else
I hope to goodness it's not the transmission.
To answer you question no it's not on an incline.
The only thing I can say is that it starts up, all lights and everything come in.
We just can shift it out of park. And it's an automatic transmission.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Dodgems
Certifiable User

Option 1) Try putting the key in the ignition and turning it one position forward. No dash lights or anything should come on at this point. Now place foot on brake and put into neutral. Start as normal. if this works it indicates your brake light switch or wiring has an issue.

Option 2) Recheck Ram Mans post. This is acutally the most common issue. If the wheel had pressure on it when the key was taken out it will be locked and very hard to turn. Jiggle the steering wheel hard, I mean hard, while twisting the key gently (we don't want any broken keys)

Qption 3) It's just plain stuck. (happened to my ram) had a friend rock the truck while I tried to get it out of park. After a few good shoves while I was yanking on the shifter I heard a pop and all was fine. Needless to say I now set the parking brake while in neutral...let the truck settle(take foot off brake) then place it in park now . I do this with all my automatics since my ram incident. This makes sure the big brake shoes are holding the vehicle instead of a tiny itty bitty parking paw which gets stuck on occasion.

2003 Durango SLT+ 360ci Blue/Silver
AVS Ventvisors, Superchips Tuner, Ravin z55, 20% Tint all around, Silverstar Ultra's, Air Hog Filter,

2003 Durango SLT+ 4.7 Red Sold.
Nothing but problems :mad
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Neon SE 5speed, 1994 Ram 1500, 318 2WD
1977 Mustang II T-Tops, 1977 Mustang Cobra II 302 4Speed
post #9 of 14 Old 02-08-2007, 07:40 PM
DLL66

Just curious to see if your problem is cured.

1996 Intrepid

Blue Truck Club Member #56
287 Enthusiast Member #117
Durango Club Member #60

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-08-2007, 09:36 PM
RAM MAN
Originating Member

me too ...

Quote:
post #11 of 14 Old 02-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Colorado Blue
'00 Dango

Happened to me on a level surface. Was in a big hurry and didn't fully stop before slamming it into park. Had to rock the D back and forth a few times while moving the shift lever. The D's lever will "jam" easily if you don't come to a FULL stop before shifting into park. They also "jam" on the slightest of slopes...Happens to me once in a while if I park on a bump and it rolls one way or the other slightly. I can get it out of park but I get a good clunk from the tranny. Like Dodgems says: use your e-brake always.

2000 Durango Sport 4.7L

Upgrades:
Superchip

K&N

2" T/S Lift

Holley Terminator Muffler

33" BFG AT Tires - Looks
Power

Rancho RS5000

...........and 1 Cruisin' Basset Hound
post #12 of 14 Old 02-13-2007, 06:24 AM
Almond Pale Ale
Patriot....

my Ram does this occasionally, I find myself having to consciously apply the brakes pretty hard and it usually lets go, it is definitely more sensitive than my D was.

2004 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT, 305/555 CTD, 48RE, QC, LB
Intake: aFe Stage I intake, aFe Torque Tube Exhuast: IMCO HD performance muffler Drivetrain: PML rear diff cover, PML Tranny cover, Bilstein shocks Power: Diablosport Power Puck set on 60hp/100tq Fluids: AMSOIL front to back

post #13 of 14 Old 02-13-2007, 10:35 AM
DurangoR ICE
SowFSideDeGo

hmm..never had that problem..least not yet :P Now you guys are gonna have me all nervous when i go to put the D in park. but before i usually pull into somewhere if im goin quick or make a quick stop..i put my truck in neutral then stop..then put it back in drive or park after that. I used to have to do it with my older car cause the tranny was messed up and it would die if i didnt do that..so im used to it

THE D | Gone.
.durango windshield banner

.redneons inside
.air/fuel gauge
.removed muffler/chrome tip
.autolite platinum plugs
.Luminics Blue 9007 headlights
.100w Blue Xenon Fogs
.Prestige 996-A Security/Remote Start
.blue headlight flashers
.blue winshield scanner
.Sirius Satellite Reciever

Newest Additions...
.Debagded
.10'' Air Cleaner *K/N soon to complete it
.LED's in the cup holders and dash
.DUAL EXHAUST!!!! BRRRMMMM
.*CuStoM* Blacked out tails

Soon to come...
.some performance mod

post #14 of 14 Old 02-19-2007, 11:57 AM
jet tech

there is a safety switch on your brake pedal that will prevent the shifter from moving into gear unless the brake is depressed.look into that switch. if the switch took a dump you can depress the brake all day and it wount shift.

2000 durango
4x4
t/s lift
monroe sesatracs
airaid cai
ngk g power plugs
iat mod
stock 195 stat
flowmaster 50 series muffler
dueler 32x11.5 r15
leather seats
bug deflector/rain guards/ram tail light covers
fastman throttle body 68.5mm
chrome wheel skins
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in