DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Tires and Trackbar

6K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  JoelJr 
#1 ·
I had another case of death wobble. It was bad this time! Come to find out that the BFG Goodrich TO A/Ts that I have are known to cause death wobble on these truck, even stock height. So with my Carli 3" springs, the lack of my axle being centered under the truck with the stock trackbar, I said screw it. I can't have this.

So try to get rid of it, I went to Strapt Performance here in Tempe and got a Carli Adjustable trackbar. Then I drove over to Discount and said get me some MUD TIRES! They made it happen! :rck:

New Carli Trackbar next to the stock one.

The bushing were worn out for sure. Battery acid dripped on it from a bad battery.

Bushing worn. Hard to believe that this and tires can cause death wobble!

and

now

to the good part! :)

The guys at Discount were thinking OH CRAP! When they started to remove my old tires and were tearing some of the plasti-dip. I said, guys no worries.. haha it's plasti-dip. But gave me a great idea! I removed the Plasti-dip along the edge of the wheel! Looks so much better!! :rck:

SO I think I will paint these wheels just like this! Figure paint is easier to keep clean and would look better when all said and done for details.

Now I haven't really drove it since I got the track bar on lastnight.

So hopefully this $2K was spent good!

See less See more
#3 ·
You know there is a Tire and Wheel section, right!?:D

Truck is looking great, I like the chrome edge on the wheels. I hope your death wobble goes away.

#4 ·
Yes smarty! In fact, if you look there, You'll notice that I posted some of the pictures from lastnight there lastnight! :)

This thread also showed the trackbar and tires. So "general" came to mind! :)

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366779

Trying to give me my own medicine :)

hahahaha

#5 ·
Hopefully that will fix the DW. Looks good with tires and the wheels done that way.

#6 ·
How much did the tires set you back? I need something to make me feel better, I dropped close to $3,000 on my truck last week!

#8 ·
Tires were $314 each. Track bar was $345.

What have you done to yours?

Looks great with the new tires and the ring on the wheels exposed!!...
I have been debating those same tires for my Wrangler since I drive it daily now.. The super swampers I have on it now are freakin awesome but obviously shit for a daily driver...

Have you had any more drive time? are the tires loud? smooth?.. I don't mind humming but my swampers are worse than driving on the highway rumble strip non stop, and with an hour drive to work it gets old...

I have the Trail Grapplers ATs on the F-150 and they are pretty good but not aggressive enough for the jeep.. I really like those MTs I think they would be a great compromise for looks and practicality..

As far as the death wobble, I hope the track bar helps and I'm sure with the lift this has been addressed, but is there anyway to increase the caster a bit.. Seems that could be beneficial also..
Tires have a nice hum to them. I can feel the lugs at 2-3 mph. I've had these tires before and they did well. So I'm happy with them. They are really not that loud. Pretty quiet really..

I think the tires and trackbar are #1 and #2 reason I've got this wobble. I'll actually go into work tomorrow instead of working from home just to test them. See if that did it....

#7 ·
Looks great with the new tires and the ring on the wheels exposed!!...
I have been debating those same tires for my Wrangler since I drive it daily now.. The super swampers I have on it now are freakin awesome but obviously shit for a daily driver...

Have you had any more drive time? are the tires loud? smooth?.. I don't mind humming but my swampers are worse than driving on the highway rumble strip non stop, and with an hour drive to work it gets old...

I have the Trail Grapplers ATs on the F-150 and they are pretty good but not aggressive enough for the jeep.. I really like those MTs I think they would be a great compromise for looks and practicality..

As far as the death wobble, I hope the track bar helps and I'm sure with the lift this has been addressed, but is there anyway to increase the caster a bit.. Seems that could be beneficial also..

#14 ·
Looks great. Congrats on your second set of Trail Grapplers!

#15 ·
Hard to believe that big, knobby mud-tires would cure the DW problem... ;)

Let us know how it works out, now get those mudders muddy! :D

#16 ·
It's all about the stiffness of the tires. The guy at discount threw the old bfg to the side after removing it from the wheel. The tire actually collapsed in half cause it was so soft.

#19 ·
Awesome!

#22 ·
YES, it has fixed it. I have a nice solid feel again and when I hit bumps/expansion joints the truck is solid. Love it. I am still a little nervous but....

#24 ·
Yes! So I am I. That last wobble I had, had me stopped on the side of the road for a good 10 second while I settled down.

I hit that same bump a few times and different rates of speed. I did noticed there is a series of tiny bumps that leads up to it, so I wonder if those built it up and then boom!

Some people believe it was more the trackbar itself.. some say it's the combo of that and the tires that made it. I had almost wish I hit it after I got the tires on to see if the tires were the cause.

But the truck feels so much better. So solid now. Front end had a little wobble or play in it and could feel it knock a few times over tiny bumps. I thought it was the steering box cause there was some play in the shaft. But with the trackbar replaced. It's gone. Dealer said the steering box was fine. So I am going with the trackbar needed to be replaced.

#25 ·
truck looks awesome, my 03 had a serious wobble, with those same bfg at's. in the equivelent of the 35" i believe it was 315 70 17. Anyways i traded it in before i found the source.

Question for ya, i LOVE your bumpers, what did you spray the lower part with that is normally chrome?

#26 ·
I am going to do them in bedliner from a company called Defender Pro. A do it yourself product.

What is on there now? Believe it or not.. Plasti-dip. I wanted to see how it would look.. and I like it.

#27 ·
glad you fixed that, your truck looks Badass

#28 ·
Very nice MegaCab! Now you need to black out the grill, headlights, and rockers and it will be my trucks twin! Well not exactly...you will have to take it out and get some custom pin striping on the trails..then we'll match! My paint hasn't looked that good in a long time! Very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.