DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Transmission Cooler Installation Pics

42K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  damilleniumboy 
#1 ·
Alright guys, I did my transmission cooler install today and thought I would share my pictures as to how I did it. Some people made it more complicated than it needed to be I think.

Basically, I didn't mess with the feed line at all, I left it as is, it is the lower line into the radiator. I basically took my Dremel and cut the hard return line to insert the cooler.

Here's the top return line leaving the radiator cooler and routing to the auxiliary cooler.

Here's the line out of the auxiliary cooler back to the transmission, notice I kept the quick disconnect from the original return hard line and used it to route the line around the radiator.

And the same thing just from the other side

Here's a view of the cooler, it will get moved but I was in a time constraint, so it stays there for now. You can see the return line from the cooler going in between the condenser and AC line to the hard line.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice write up; how much was the tranny cooler?

#3 ·
That one was $60 from Advanced Auto, it'a a plate and fin cooler not a tube fin cooler, so it cools better, not to mention it's the same size as the largest tube fin cooler and looks much better.

It came with everything needed for a simple install like this, I even bought extra hose in anticipation of needing it, I took it back like 15 minutes ago, haha.

I have just seen some people cutting the original rubber tubing, which I would really prefer not to do, this keeps me from having to do that, at least until I get a trans. temp gauge, then I'll have to splice in a T on the feed line.

#5 ·
Tube-fin:

Plate-fin:

Basically they use the same heat exchange principle, but you get better cooling with a plate-fin cooler because more of the fluid contacts the cooling fins than in a tube-fin cooler.

#6 ·
a plate & fin cooler; most often called a manifold cooler/ radiator
same thing as the engines antifreeze cooler
least amount of back pressure
fast fluid movement
average heat displacement properties

a tube & fin cooler ;also called a linear flow radiator
consists of one continous tube occupied by fins
compounded additional back pressure for every bend
very slow fluid movement
high heat displacement capabilities

#7 ·
Makes sense I guess, I always saw it as with a plate-fin type there is more fluid being cooled at once inside of the plate, as opposed to a tube-fin.

I think the stock ones on the newer Rams are plate-fin.

#8 ·
I might add that to my Corvette, it's automatic and I just replaced the transmission this past August. The Ram is a 5 speed, so there is no need to install a tranny fluid cooler lol. I had been looking for an idea as to how to add one, and I couldn't find one on the corvetteforum. Thanks a bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.