Steering wheel Radio Controls added with Pics - Page 28 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Notices

Closed Thread

post #541 of 553 Old 05-05-2014, 01:18 PM
kevjones
Jonesie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody had any luck with the dealerships in and around the Cargary Alberta Canada area having a dealership contacting the WIC to add the RDZ to the VIN? My local dealership wont do it and look at me like a deer in headlights when I try to explain how to do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 553 Old 05-05-2014, 02:10 PM
brental1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Swac

The 3rd dealer I went to in Birmingham, AL did it for me. I posted the information and someone from South America contacted this dealer in Birmingham. The dealer contacted WIC and had the option code (RDZ) added to the VIN. After this was done, the person in South America went to his local dealer and they were able to flash it to his truck, since the code had been added to the VIN. You might want to try the same procedure:

Cliff Smith
Benchmark Chrysler Dodge
205-458-4618
csmith@withyoudowntheroad.com
post #543 of 553 Old 05-05-2014, 02:18 PM
kevjones
Jonesie

Email sent, hopefully Mr. Smith can come thru for me on this one.

post #544 of 553 Old 05-14-2014, 10:29 AM
kevjones
Jonesie

So looks like if you live up here in Canada it can not be done.(I have an 08 Ram) I called the WIC in Ontario and they cant add the RDZ for me. Everything has to be done at the factory when the truck is built. I had my truck in the dealership getting the recall work done and even tried them to add it to the optional equipment, he showed me a screen shot that the RDZ feature was not there. I told him it would not be there cause it has to be added for them to see/choose it. I then tried to call the WIC in the states and they wouldn't even help me cause the truck was built for the Canadian market. I even sent an email to Cliff @ Benchmark hoping he could help me like he did for the fellow from South America, no reply back from him. I'm ready to give up here but to stubborn to quit. Not sure what options I have now...
post #545 of 553 Old 05-14-2014, 11:24 AM
brental1

Stubborn is what it takes! The only sense 'done at the factory' makes is if the TIPM in your truck doesn't allow the RDZ code. I can't imagine this to be the case. Also, the truck in South America was built for that region/country. I'm fairly sure that Cliff contacted the US WIC to get the code added for that truck.
I suggest you call Cliff and talk with him. I don't know if he charged the guy in South America; but I would be willing to pay him $100 to do it for me.

Good Luck,
Brent
post #546 of 553 Old 05-14-2014, 11:44 AM
apbtmaxx

Hello Kevjones, i'm that guy from south america, Cliff told me that he wasn`t sure if that sales code can be added if my truck was built for sell in south america, but he was sure if my truck was built for sell in usa, but he said that anyway will try to add the code and needed the vin, then he said me that wic accepted the vin and the RDZ will be added in 24 hs, after 24 hs cliff wrote me that the vin was added to my vin, and that i must to go to a close dealership and re-flash the truck and all was done and controls was perfectly working, if this way doesnt work i was another way to make that buttons work, had to send the front box fuse assembly to Jon from AMP (Afterhour Mopar Performance) in Florida, and he do something with that and send me back working, but the forst way worked perfectly, i think that you must to call to cliff or write him, this was the mail that i was writing him: csmith@withyoudowntheroad.com, i hope that you can make that buttons work, kind regards.-

P.D.: Sorry my english, spanish is my native language.-
post #547 of 553 Old 05-15-2014, 08:37 AM
brental1

Thanks for posting about AMP. I was not aware of this company. I was curious about what they do to the TIPM (fuse box assembly). It seems like they flash it at their shop and then return it to you. This makes me think that any option code can be flashed to any TIPM; and this seems logical. Of course, as we know, the option code must first be attached to the VIN.
post #548 of 553 Old 05-15-2014, 09:23 AM
apbtmaxx

yes, but jon said me that all he need is that box fuse and send it back to you, when the fuse box is assembly to the truck, the controls will be working 100%, i dont know what he does with box fuse. Anyway, is rare that cliff not reply the mail, perhaps Kevjones should call him to be sure.-
Facebook address: https://www.facebook.com/pages/After...63309240348401

Last edited by apbtmaxx; 05-15-2014 at 09:32 AM.
post #549 of 553 Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 PM
TX_howdy

This is a great thread and i actually read all 28 pages, despite that I've still got one question regarding the additional wireds that need to be run from the back of the clock spring to ground and to the cluster. They are being taken from the 56042934AA (or some variation). So, are these cannibalized wires just the cruise control wires from that harness?

BTW, I initially bought the back side of a steering wheel with the factory cutouts for the radio buttons, but later bought an entire steering wheel that had the switches, harness, and the back side of the steering wheel with the cutouts. so, if anyone is doing this mod and does not want to dremel the back of the steering wheel, i've got that part available for sale. Pm me for details.
post #550 of 553 Old 07-22-2014, 10:21 PM
brental1

There are several connectors involved. With the large white one on the back of the cluster, (C1, 2 or 3 as I recall), you simply add a pin to this connector to get the 5V signal. There's also a connector on the column that connects the clockspring. With this one you can add pins for the 5V signal and the ground. The hard one for me to find was the 2 pin connector that goes in the clockspring. I vaguely recalled that it looked like the 2 pin connector that is used for the cupholder light; and it was. I had a junkyard complete harness, so I had a 2 pin cupholder light connector available. In the past, the harness you refer to was a $20 part; it's well over $100 now; maybe almost $200. I refused to pay that much for 2 wires and 3 two pin connectors. I've seen some posts where the pins were connected to the clockspring without a connector; then they filled the cavity with epoxy. I imagine that would work just fine.
post #551 of 553 Old 07-23-2014, 09:07 PM
TX_howdy

i dont have the benefit of a complete junkyard harness, but i did buy a used steering wheel off ebay that had the steering wheel controls and the harness that connects steering wheel controls and cruise control to the clockspring. since I already had the cruise control harness on my truck originally, i have the extra cruise control wires. are those the wires the original instructions are saying to take apart and use for the back of the clockspring. I am clear on what needs to be connected, just not where to get the wires to make the connection since my truck has the two blanks on the back of the clockspring.
post #552 of 553 Old 07-24-2014, 08:07 AM
dizzyD
Registered MOPAR User

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
I cannibalized everything from my old steering wheel, I got the new ebay wheel with controls, so the old wheel's CC did suffice for the job. I took the 2 longest wires from the loom and spliced them together after I had the speedo cluster out to make sure I had enough wiggle room to keep the wire from binding (Tilt steering or removing the cluster again)

2012 Challenger SXT+ 220ci 5 speed, blackberry pearl, FM xxMM, diablo in-tune I1000, Carbon fiber pedal covers, 11% tint

1999 Durango SLT+ leather, 360ci 4x4, hughes plenum rebuild, superchips 3865, tow pkg, 3.55 LSD, rear tail light guard, K&N CAI, FM 50MM TB, crystal clear headlights, Torsion/shackle lift, Rancho RSX's, Pacesetter headers, dual trans & oil temp a-pillar pod, chrome deep trans pan, drilled & slotted rotors, 10 disc cd changer.

2004 Ram 1500 SLT 2WD QC LB 345ci, FM 84MM TB, slotted brake rotors, step bar, diamond plate pedals, locking gas door, tow package w/ 3.55 lsd, Hellwig LP-15, shell and carpet kit, 18% door window tint, Magnaflow 12641, Slammed1's 3" spindle lift and 2.5 coil spacer, rear lift shackles, Airraid MIT, superchips 3815, 6K front winch & custom Winch Plate, Autometer phantom trans gauge mounted in Mopar SRT A-Pillar single pod, lumber/roof rack, Rancho 9000X shocks, ATS fender flairs, 1" BL, gap guards, black grille, silver painted bezel

2005 Dodge Magnum RT- Midnight Blue -Vroom Lakewood front strut bar, K&N Filter

Gone but not forgotten 93 factory freak CC dakota lifted 4x4 318
post #553 of 553 Old 08-17-2014, 07:12 PM
TX_howdy

anyone know which canbus wire at the headunit is responsible for the volume controls? My dealer is says they can't add RDZ, I've provided them exact details as well as this post to explain teh process, but they can't/won't do the update to my VIN.

I wanted to try routing the positive wire of the steering wheel control from behind the clock-spring directly to the pac audio unit i purchased, bypassing the instrument cluster. I just can't find anything online telling me which wire i need to tap into.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in