DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steering shaft question on 2500 CTD???

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  tomcat#1 
#1 ·
Have any of you guys had to remove your steering wheel for any reason? If yes, do you remember if there was a key spline on the steering shaft where the wheel slides onto the shaft? I would assume a key spline would prevent the steering wheel from being reinstalled in a crooked manner. Or, are all the splines the same size so you can reinstall the steering wheel any old way?

I'm asking because my steering wheel was replaced today under warranty - the leather was peeling off. When I started to drive the truck home, it felt like the steering wheel was off center. I took it back to the dealer, the service advisor drove it back into the shop & returned the truck to me in about 5 minutes. The steering wheel was still off center, but it did not appear the steering wheel had been removed again. When I called the advisor back, he said the steering wheel only installs one way due to the key spline, so his tech adjusted the steering wheel position at the steering box.

I have a 4WD 2500 CTD - I don't think you can make a fine steering wheel position adjustment under the truck without altering the alignment. I know the pitman arm position can be moved on the steering box output shaft, but that would seriously change the steering wheel position. I know they did not put my truck on an alignment rack in only 5 minutes. It now feels like the truck is pulling slightly, but it could be my imagination & the right tie rod adjuster sleeve has some fresh wrench marks on the nuts.

It was 5PM when I went back to the shop. Since it was getting late, could they have "jury rigged" my steering to keep from having to take the steering wheel off again?

Any advice or expertise would be appreciated!!!

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.