DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

S&B CAI and DOD14 Install

5K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  dtru1222 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

Just got back from Kandahar and treated myself to a new 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab. (I posted this first in the “Newbies” section to stay within the spirit of the forum etiquette)

I have already installed the S&B CAI and the Mufflex DOD14 direct replacement muffler along with a few Retro-Solutions LED’s (Reverse, Cargo, License Plate, and Courtesy Lamps)

Also put a BAKFlip F1 on (Love it!)

I know this is very subjective but not sure if I’m “diggin” the DOD14 – sounds absolutely awesome but personally I feel the drone is HORRIBLE @ 45MPG or should I really say my girl’s whining cuz her ears hurt…..A ¼” turn on the radio volume usually fixes it

I am a self-proclaimed wrencher (But do make mistakes) and noticed a slightly rougher idle (not sound) in park after the CAI and DOD14 install. What I mean by this is if I sit a half full bottle of water on the center console you can see it splash around a little and the passenger side seats headrest noticeably shakes. I can also feel it in the driver’s seat. I have made sure all my seals on the CAI are seated correctly and sensor position is the same after the install. I used High Temp RTV for the muffler (Per Mufflex) so everything is tight and no leaks. I even took the truck into the stealership and they said no codes have been thrown and its fine. I didn't have much time to learn the stock feel of the truck so I could just be full of it all together! Anyone notice this with a similar setup?

I understand that ONLY installing a CAI and DOD14 is really for aesthetics and sound and maybe a few extra MPG’s but I honestly feel my throttle response is worse since the install. I have reset the computer (Disconnect the battery, etc.) and gone over everything several times - Shouldn't I at least experience some placebo?

At least I got 50 extra HP from the upgraded LED license plate bulbs….

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This is a bit strange... upgrades as simple as the ones you've done shouldn't really impact the truck at all. I'm not sure what's going on. I do know that installing an air intake will usually make the noise from that engine bay more noticeable. Combine that with a freer flowing exhaust and you'll have an all around louder truck. Vibration is nothing more that rapidly pulsating sound waves. So maybe a louder truck is a slightly shakier one? Mine shakes some, especially after a cold start. I don't have an air intake, but I do have my muffler removed. Everything seems to smooth out after the engine warms, though.

#3 ·
Vibration is nothing more that rapidly pulsating sound waves. So maybe a louder truck is a slightly shakier one?
Great analogy! I did my best to search related issues and it all seems physiological at this point. Just figured I would bonce it off the forum

What are the "Must Do" Mods on these trucks outside of what I have listed

I love this truck - I had no clue how nice they have become until the test drive and I was sold!

#4 ·
The "must dos" (if you're talking performance) as far as I can tell are intake, exhaust, and programmer. But us 2011/2012 guys are still lacking in the programmer department. However, these trucks make plenty of power from the factory. What's REALLY holding us back is the transmission. I hear just swapping the stock torque converter for a higher stall one, and putting lower gears in the rear, greatly improves the launch and overall feel of these trucks. And a TC and gears are both independent of anything the engine is doing, so no tune required. Oh yeah, congrats on the new Ram, brother!

#6 · (Edited)
putting lower gears in the rear, greatly improves the launch and overall feel of these trucks. And a TC and gears are both independent of anything the engine is doing, so no tune required. Oh yeah, congrats on the new Ram, brother!
Thanks!

Yeah it came with the "tow package" and has the 3.92's in the rear - don't know if that is a plus? It's definitively peppy off the line

I have been dealing with MOES and the gentleman there is very responsive and informative - he's "learning me" on whats to come for programmers as the developers chip away at Chrysler's cryptic coding crap....

The only gripes I have with the truck is the lack of and or placement of the "Oh Sh#T" handles in the door frames and those Jack-O-Lantern candles they call headlights....

#5 ·
Oh yeah, if you're looking for something even simpler than what I mentioned, I've great things about the Moe's ported throttle bodies. They bolt right up, require no tune, and supposedly really help with throttle response... maybe even add a few ponies as well. Do a search and read about 'em!

#9 ·
Maybe you lost some back pressure and a little low end torque from the muffler swap? Does it pull harder at the top end now?
100%.....Funny you mention that - I was being cocky on 95 today and noticed exactly what you said when I would get on it. Maryland drivers love to play the speed up game when you try to pass them doing 10 MPG under the speed limit. Gives me a reason to floor it and enjoy the raw state of the DOD14 ....Anyway once it starts to get spun up it really starts pulling and pulling - Almost like a turbo kicking in....This I can say is better than the stock setup

#11 ·
Sounds like you lost some low end then
Is there a "Bolt On" solution to maybe get that back? Perhaps the above mentioned throttle body? I'm sure the programmer will be the biggest noticeable improvement once its released and stable?

#12 ·
Not sure about the throttle body because back pressure is through the exhaust. Tuning will help the most. I don't think they throttle body upgrade would hurt. I plan to go with a 85mm some day with stock intake and probably a stainless flowmaster 50 series. InTune programmer after.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

#13 ·
My Mufflex DOD14 went on in 45 mins in my driveway if you want a quick seamless bolt on solution that sounds great (Slight drone @ 40-45) I know nothing beats a weld but I don't trust the dealer and want the ability to reverse anything I do...

#17 ·
If you put the truck into gear with but keep the brake applied do you still notice the shake? If so I would assume its just the addition of noise from the mods. If not, just hit the motor with a rock and it'll learn.

#18 ·
Its the most pronouced in park @ idle and goes away with the truck in gear with the brake on. If it wasn't a brand new rig I would't think twice about it but my OCD is fixated on it....

I will get a pic of the "Splashing Water" bottle tomorrow and start gathering rocks

#19 ·
There's a post on here of someone who took the time and liberty to cut the stock muffler right down the middle. Once you see the inside and how restrictive it looks, I think you'll agree, there's no way that thing could be good for performance. It was obviously designed to quiet down the HEMI as much as harmonically possible. But that's not how we like our 400 horse V8s, now is it boys (and some gals)?

#20 ·
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE SIR :gr_patrio :gr_patrio :gr_patrio

#21 ·
Are you Military or were you over there as a civilian?

Nothing on earth like the poo pond lol!

As far as the losing back pressure, I have noticed what you were talking about when you said it feels like a turbo kicks in. Around 50-55 MPH, it feels like it breaks loose and lets all the HP go. I have always thought this was the torque management or the slip control. I owned a 09 and now a 12 and they seem to be very inconsistent from the line, sometimes they put you in your seat other times they just put along. The two biggest changes I have noticed were with the new TB and thermostat. It seems to be consistent now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.