DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2001 dodge 1500 offroad edition

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  spun360 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum here. I have done some searching about lifts for the offroad editions but cant find the answer I'm looking for. I already have one lined up to buy, so I was wondering, would a 3" lift kit for the regular dodges help level it out? would that get rid of that rake? I was looking at the 3" kits on rough country, I seen one that came with all the hardware to relocate everything for the lift. I'm not looking for a whole lot of lift. Just something to level it and give it some hint of lift. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
Welcome to Dodgetalk!

The ORE trucks in 2000-01 were already lifted 2 inches over standard 4x4s. This means any lift you buy, you have to subtract 2" from the final result because those parts would replace standard ones. Unless you just put a spacer in the spring, then you'd add.

So, if you just want the rake gone for the least money, get a 1 or 1-1/2" spacer and throw it up above the spring. Or get new 3" springs for up front to replace the stockers. You would gain 1". The control arms will be maxed out but just adjust the cam bolts so the axle is all the way forward to avoid death wobble. Or get control arms for 3" lifts and swap those in.

My opinion is that the ORE sit absolutely perfect and wish all Dodges came like that. Of course, they were so rare that I had to put my own lift in.

#4 ·
or drop the lift block in the back.
NOT a fan of lift blocks on leafs!

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! Would a 1" level in the front level it out all that much? So If I did go with the 1.5" level kit, would I need to adjust anything? Would the axle kick back towards the fire wall at all? I have heard of the driver side kicking back towards the firewall. Again thanks guys for your responses, I have been researching for a while, and there are no answers if I need to adjust anything with a 1.5" level kit.

#6 ·
No adjustments are needed. You would be surprised that the 1in spacer does make a difference. As far as the tires rubbing there are many things to consider. The size of tire is the most obvious, followed by width of rim and back spacing of rim that is used if you are getting after market rims.

#7 ·
Yes, anything will help, even 1" lift. But, you may be disappointed after going through all that work and not seeing enough improvement. Besides, those stock coils are pretty saggy by now, so I bet you could get 1.5 or maybe 2" spacers up there. If it was me doing it, I would get new coils again. I hated the soft stock coils. You may consider just getting new stock ORE coils as yours have sagged over the years. I know my 3" coils have drooped a bit in 6 years.

The adjustments come from the axle being pulled further to the driver side because the track bar length hasn't changed. It won't be much, but it may "max" the stocker out being that it's already on an ORE. (But Dodge sourced the exact same track bars across the ram lineup so it should be fine). You can adjust your steering wheel alignment, which, will screw with your actual alignment due to the stupid "Y" steering. You can also adjust the cam bolts to push your tires forward to avoid death wobble. Gives it an "underbite" if you will.

You're in the same quandary as every ORE owner was in the day! Great looking truck and idea from Dodge but kinda left you with no lifting options. Unless you rip it all off and go with a 5" long arm kit. I've been seeing some well-maintained ORE around here and they are still perfect, IMO. Best stance from the factory and with 4.10s, you can easily throw on some 285-305/70/17s to get the perfect look.

#10 ·
I'm not looking for it to be completly leveled. I just want the rake less noticable if at all. Where would I get new coils? I take it they have to be pretty scarce. I've heard used ones pop up only so often. Wouldn't new ones be hard to get? I take it they would be aftermarket. I would probably adjust the cam bolts anyways, just from what I have read and heard. They really were the perfect package, but They are getting harder to find in nice condition anhway, and if they are, people don't wanna get rid of them haha I wish they would have designed it so there was room to levek it. I think they should reproduce them for a year, as a throw back, and change the front end parts so they can be leveled. Were they a rare package in the day? Like a special order, I'm sure they were not on the lot a whole lot. I'm 19 almost 20 so I remember seeing them around all the time, when I was young. They have been my dream truck since I was little. I still think the 2nd gens are still the meanest looking trucks to this day. Thanks for the detailed response, I greatly appreciate it!

#8 ·
The biggest consideration you need to make Jake is what size tire do you want to run. I doubt your coils are sagging at all. ORE's use coils similar to 3/4 and 1 ton rams. My coils have not sagged since I got it in 04 and my truck gets used a lot. If it was me, I would keep the tire size to 33 get a 1in spacer and replace the front track bar with either a moog or another brand. With the stock 4.10 gears and 33's my truck works great never underpowered even when towing. If you go 35's, you will not like the lose of power then a gear swap would be advised to 4.56's. I have the same truck as you and I love it.

#9 ·
I would plan on running 33's. I was thinking about the 1.5" ones, but if the 1" spacers are gonna make the rake less noticable, I'll go that route. 35's would be too big with that amount of factory lift, with a coil spacer anyways in my opinion haha Thanks for the response! I Appriciate it.

#11 ·
You can look at LMC parts or rockauto.com for springs. Don't know if they make ORE springs as I've never looked, but they do for all other models so start there. Smart not to go for a absolute level look. In fact, the wheel wells are not the same height and when people tried to "level" the truck, it looks nose high. Also smart because when you put any load in back, it won't be too nose high. That's the point of the rake: is to level with a load.

The ORE Rams were produced from 2000-01 only and came only in short bed 1500 4x4s. They are a sweet truck. I saw a 5.2 5spd ORE once which is the holy grail in my opinion. Great that you love the 2nd gens. I have tried and tried to fall in love with newer trucks. Just can't. Even the new CTD HDs. Just....can't.

I remember reading articles on the new "big rig" styling of the upcoming 1994 Dodge Ram and thought it was definitely weird. But once I saw them in person and actually compared it to the Silverado (that I really wanted and everybody had in MN) my eyes were opened. The Ram was just so much more truck. And now, after 15 years ownership and almost 200k as a DD, I can say it was the best decision of my life thus far.

#12 ·
Ok, I'll check those out. I never liked the complete leveled look. I like a hint of rake, just not very distinct or too noticable. Like they are from the factory.

I have always loved the 2nd gens. That's the same way with me, I can't bring myself to liking the looks of the newer trucks. Nothing beats the look of a 2nd gen, They have always been my favorite trucks. Dodge nailed it with the design, its still a mean looking truck. Plus they are way easier to work on haha. They are great trucks.

#14 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.