DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushings won't stop squeaking

13K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ramjet1 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 ram 1500 2 wheel drive.

I have a BAD squeak on my truck.

When I rotate the wheel at a stand still it creaks and squeaks and also when the suspension articulates up and down.

Soaking the upper control Arm bushings and lower control arm bushings in wd40 will stop it for a few days but then it comes right back.

Is this normal in 10 degree weather? It's embarrassing to drive around that's how loud it is.

#2 ·
Soaking the upper control Arm bushings and lower control arm bushings in wd40 will stop it for a few days but then it comes right back.
Do you need new bushings? The cold probably makes them shrink a bit.

WD40 is a light lube. A grease is better, but getting it in the bushings might be difficult.

You might try Liquid Wrench LUBRICATING OIL
or
Liquid Wrench with Lithium grease

#3 ·
Look at your balljoints .if u dont have greese fittings poke a small hole in rubber that the straw from the wd40 bearly fits in and spray. If it helps or sound goes away in total time to be looking at baljoints. What happens the greese from the joint dries up and the ball squeaks from the plastic gussher bearing.. I have done this on many of trucks and cars alike.

#4 ·
team_realtree said:
Spray/soak it with an aerosol silicone, or this stuff: unlike newish/modern era Fluid Film formulation, LloydsAD3000 does not contain solvents and unlike almost all petroleum type products is SAFE FOR RUBBER (contains "wool wax"/lanolin)

http://www.lloydslaboratories.com/AD3000/

good for many other uses too

#5 · (Edited)
unlike newish/modern era Fluid Film formulation, LloydsAD3000 does not contain solvents and unlike almost all petroleum type products is SAFE FOR RUBBER (contains "wool wax"/lanolin)
You got me worried.

I've been using Fluid Film for awhile and I just finished spraying most if not all of the rubber under my Dakota.
It says "The long lasting product contains no solvents."
http://www.fluid-film.com/products/properties.html

The last time I applied it was 3 years ago - everything looks good.

Do you have any info/link about Fluid Film and car rubber parts? I can't find any info.
Thanks

This also from the site - I would guess the rubber on autos is oil resistant - but I don't know.
"Effect on Rubber: ASTM D-471 @ ± 158°F 70 hours None on neoprene and buna-n. May cause swelling on non oil-resistant rubber goods."

Buna-n - It is used in the automotive and aeronautical industry to make fuel and oil handling hoses, seals, and grommets, since ordinary rubbers cannot be used.

#6 ·
Wouldn't sweat about FF (myself, first noticed the change a few/3? yrs ago); now, for what I do it's Lloyds. Here's excerpt from link

AD3000 is compatible with electrical connectors, rubber bushings, moldings, plastic and fiberglass.

... My info about FF is same as yours, sound like a disclaimer.
... Mostly I was trying to steer OP away from grease/general petroleum stuff as non destructive/better choices are available

#10 ·
Better Ford than Chevy or Turdra..........lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.