DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cylinder heads

7K views 72 replies 6 participants last post by  TrappedPerson 
#1 ·
who makes/ sells heads for our trucks.
i know odessa makes the eq monster on ebay.
hughes sells the iron ones also as well as the edelbrock ones. i havent heard much good about hughes so i dont really wanna deal with them.
i was just going to go ahead and get the edelbrock aluminum ones but price and availability of them you can get the same flow out of the eq monsters for 600-700 less. obviously aluminum disperses heat much better and is much lighter. still keeping them in mind. just looking at options right now.

#2 ·
#3 ·
awesome thanks. might have to give them a call this week

#4 ·
called clearwater and talked to them about a set of heads. not sure if i should just go with the aluminum ones. average on heads is about 1350 canadian plus shipping and duties. so probably around 1600. aluminum is 1700 shipped from a local shop. might just be worth it to get a set of aluminum heads.

#5 ·
forced induction.. if it was mine. i think standard eddy heads are 62cc.. edelbrocks also sell a 58cc.. now i was quoted $2000 for a full port and polish race set up in edelbrocks. eddys are nice but you will go over the top paying for work done on them.
any head can be milled down for chamber size, but i "wouldnt" spend that kind of money on cast heads or monsters. imo for higher compression and forced induction, i side for alu heads of any make or color!
you will need a good head to take the heat..
what was the price point from indy heads?

#6 ·
the indy ones are also cast and there 1372 at the current exchange rate. plus 200 shipping and anywhere from 50-300 with customs fees. basically the same across the board. clearwater wants 150 for shipping and there 1350 but the same with customs.
so for the 1700 for the eddy aluminum ones i think ill just go for it. im not going to get any major porting done me and a buddy are going to do a little bit.
ive only found the ones for our trucks in 58cc chambers, and ive found slightly thicker gaskets to bring the compression back down to stock.

#7 ·
naturally aspirated i would want alu heads to run at 10/1. i guess cause of your holset, you want to keep the ratios in the high 8s to low 9s?
do you know what your EGTs are at any givin day?

#8 ·
holset is coming off. called on3 about a t70 today. also got a custom grind going from bullet cams.
egt cruising are around 7-800 wide open is around 1250. never broke 1300.

#9 ·
unless you go to a custom piston, the EQ heads are engineered to bring up a stock motor abouts mid 9s. you will have to add 4-6cc in head gasket thickness just to bring the compression numbers down.
rams are lucky stock to get out of the high 8s. is there a reason you want the numbers so low. availability of high octane?

#10 ·
i dont think ill go with the eq heads. likely going to be the edelbrock aluminum heads. low 9 is fine with me. i always run 91 octane and i do have a water meth kit that im going to add as well.
to drop it the 4-6cc isnt a whole bunch. i found some mls head gaskets that are .050 the stockers are .04 i believe. so i am pretty much dropping it back to where i want it right there.

#11 ·
so i went ahead and ordered the edelbrock aluminum heads. 58cc chambers.
also ordered head studs at the same time. now i have to find some rockers that are going to work with these heads and possibly push rods

#12 ·
Man I have some BNIB EQ castings that are ported by Performance Injection Equipment. that I wanna sell, to bad I didn't look at his forum earlier! FML!

#13 ·
just a couple weeks late lol. i would have been very interested them. my aluminum ones should be here withing the next week

#14 ·
Man congrats, I want to go to the Edelbrock performer rpm heads CNC ported from Chris at P.I.E. He started selling them a couple months after i bought my heads lol. And I just cant put em on. Because I want the most flow I can get for my hairdryers!

#15 ·
what type of setup are you running? im going to assume a twin front mount.
turbos, wastegate, intercooler, ignition, tuning?
dont be shy lol.
im not sure about my wastegate. currently its a turbosmart 40mm compgate, might be looking at a new one.
the plan as of now is a t70 magnum performance turbo with a .80 a/r.

#16 ·
Well I posted originally on here in the beginning of 2014 with a turbo build thread. Half way through I decided to go twins and am shooting for the moon with this one lol.

Chris from P.I.E is building me a forged built for boost 360 tuned with SCT form P.I.E Will eventually got with a stand alone. Using some comp turbos, JGS waste gates and BOV. Using a set of log type 304 stainless schedule 30 pipe. I.D. of runners is 1-5/8 and log body is 2-1/8 all flared pipe.
Air to air inter cooler with water meth injection. Ignition will be stock for now will be using 80lb or bigger injectors. with a P.I.E return style fuel system.

I believe Ive picked your brain before bout my build and you were very helpful.

#17 ·
well im glad i could help you out.
im running a log style exhaust manifold as well. someone went big when they built them. there are 3" body. never measured the runners on them but they are short and stout.
ill be starting a build thread when i start to get some parts coming in. i have a ton of things on order and still building the parts list as i go. im really hoping the budget will allow for what i want done. oilfield crash is starting to make me a little nervous.

#18 ·
oil field crash? That sucks man, I thought the oil field was good. At least here in NM anyway.

What are your plans for your truck? You just upgrading your current setup or you gona build a new one? What you shooting for as far as HP?

#19 ·
yeah price per barrel went way way down. getting close to 1/4 of the price since fall. i think i have worked 4-5 days this year so far. partial salary is the only think keeping me safe right now.

basically keep the short block with a refresh on the bottom end, new rings gapped for boost being i didnt plan on a turbo when i built this engine. new bearings make sure everything looks good. keeping the computer and the sct tuner for now, would like to run a return style fuel system with a fuel cell behind the axle but that might get put on hold and just run a aeromotive stealth 340 system with upgraded wiring and feed line. new heads, turbo, custom grind cam from bullet racing, new fuel rails, keep the 42lb injectors. water meth kit new transmission. i think thats all for the power side of things. im decently setup already being it was boosted. so i have all my gauges, aftermarket trans cooler, oil lines stuff like that.
i plan on around 400-450 to the wheels. from the people i have talked to that is a pretty realistic number to hit. shooting for around 10-13 psi to keep a little bit of longevity out of this setup.

#20 ·
Man that sucks, you planing on replacing pistons?

#21 ·
i was. then worked basically stopped so im trying to disperse my budget. for the 700 im not sure im going to spend it there. i know i probably should look into some forged pistons. no one has actually mentioned changing pistons yet other then you.
im going to keep my options open for right now. block wont be going back together for a month or more yet. so i can think some more into it.

#22 ·
O ya, I only ask because you say you're gonna freshen up the bottom end. Would be a good time for new pistons since its apart and will add to engine longevity. But budget is always the driving factor. Thats why my project has been bout 3 years in the making lol.
Well that and I keep changing my mind!

I have my short block bout half paid for, have new trans ready and now after selling my new heads ill put that moneyt towards the edelbrock max port heads and have bout another 1200 to put into them!
Glad income tax season is here lol.

#23 · (Edited)
well the engine was redone a couple years ago. so the pistons arent that old. i probably have 30-35000 km on the engine.
pulled the heads and the intake today. cylinder walls look new. cross hatching is still very visible. no edge above the rings or anything. apparently its holding well to the abuse.
but i would like some forged pistons to add to the mix. maybe bump the boost up a little more. just not sure what to go with for pistons right now.
with running the edelbrock heads my chamber is at 58cc now. so its roughly 7 less then stock configuration. pistons i was looking at are -4.6 or something like that so it would put me close to stock. i would like to stay at low to mid 9:1 compression. the pistons i was looking at were the icon performance forged ones from summit. i also looked at hi-potek and hughes but neither had anything really.

#24 ·
#25 ·
#26 ·
i was looking on there site. everything they had was around 10:1 compression for 58cc chambers.
how do they acutally calculate the compression ratio for pistons? obviously my deck height and gasket will change that. so whats their rule for their ratios there getting?
also i was looking at the - or + cc and i have seen a couple sites say that -x cc piston increases compression and + increase on others. the way i look at it is +x amount off cc is the extra dish in it for less compression...not understanding some of the info im finding compared to what i feel i know.

#27 ·
i might have to call that company actually. seems to be top notch pistons for next to nothing on cost. for that price ill be getting pistons lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.