DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rear Bumper made out of cardboard?

4K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Shots 
#1 ·
Sooo I was backing up in a parking lot, watching for the herd of pedestrians, rolling at maybe 2mph.. and it just happened that pole was in my blind spot, couldn't see it with any mirror, or the camera.... well thunk!

I get out and looked the bumper is bent and pushed in almost to tail gate, it was just the pass side of the pass side exhaust tip. The bumper pushed in far enough to hit the bed. I looked under the bumper and there's no structural strength in there.. if you take and impact anywhere but on the hitch that bumper is gonna fold. I can grab where it was pushed in and pull it out an inch without really trying.. getting it to stay back out will be interesting.. atleast long enough to find a replacement wreckers want $475-1000. rockauto wants $450 for a cheap knock-off shipped..

grrrrr

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Standard thickness and material. You have all that weight of your truck and you push it at a point - not really fair..

I cut holes in my bumper for light and it wasn't 'thin' that is for sure.

Check Craigslist around your area. I have that exact bumper on Craigslist here in Phoenix for $200 OBO.

#3 ·
Craigslist isn't really used that much n my part of Canada.. I checked the local trader places. I just remember the metal bumpers of old being... stronger... my neighbor hit the house on the concrete foundation with his 90's chev metal bumper, shook the whole house, but not even a scratch to his bumper.

#4 ·
That 90's Chev will also kill most occupants in a collision where your new truck will crumple, deform, and in most cases protect the occupants. It's a different construction mentality. A lot of companies don't even call them bumpers anymore, they're called a lower valence or fascia. They are thin and flimsy with structural support, they have been downgraded from a structural component to an appearance component which would explain the growing number of people buying color matched bumpers

#5 ·
Yeah, cars/trucks are designed to absorb and disperse impact now. It looks bad when a car or truck completely demolished in a "minor" crash, but you see people walk away from some pretty serious stuff now without so much as a headache. Let the car/truck take the abuse, not the occupants. With that though comes what seems to be cheap construction. It's not, it's just not what we grew up seeing.

As for the bumper. I just happen to have a white Sport bumper that I'm going to put on CL. Scratched up, but not bent from where a guy backed into my truck. The insurance company replaced it, instead of fixing it, because I've got less than 2000 miles on my truck. Shipping to CND may be outrageous but if not $100+ shipping you're interested.

Attachments

#6 ·
True.. 'cause the only thing structural back there is the hitch and frame rails. I thought I remember reading about how manufacturers had to have 5mph bumpers.. aka they can take a hit up to 5mph and have minimal damage, then above that they bend and crumple..

I do understand crumple zones and why I laugh when people say a smart car is "safe".. sure that tridon will prevent cab intrusion, but you only have a 16" crumple zone..

I guess silly me for buying a truck with metal bumpers over one with plastic bumpers and expecting some strength out of them.

#7 ·
Shots, thanks for the offer, but rockauto has shipping at $100+ from a Canadian warehouse, and my truck is dark blue/silver, plus I'd need the foam that goes under it.

#9 ·
No problem. I figured it would be a bit much for anyone not local, but figured I'd offer. Sounds like a good price from RockAuto though. Good find. You may also want to check Certifit. Not sure if you've got those in Canada, but I bought some Charger parts from them really cheap, compared to factory pricing.

#8 ·
Ha ha. Very true. FWIW, the chrome bumper on my '07 seemed much thick/heavier than the '14 bumper does. This thing does seem down right flimsy. I could see where it will take a 5mph impact without damage, if it's spread across the entire face of the bumper though. Hit one corner like you did, and all bets are off..... obviously. :(

#10 ·
Unless I can find a used one closer to home, the $450ish one would be hard to swallow, heh.. I wish I could justify a Road Armor style bumper.. or atleast the cost for one... if my contract at work ever gets figured out and if I'm owed some back pay.. maybe.

#11 ·
Check with a shop that deals and installs vehicle accessories (such as bumpers, etc.). The previous owner of my '97 had a helluva time lining up his trailer, and the chrome bumper looked like craters on the moon around the hitch area. I went to a local shop, asked if they had any "take off" rear bumpers for my truck - and they did! Got it for $100 + installation... so roughly $125 out the door.

Hope that helps!

#12 ·
never thought about that. thanks.

I just washed the truck and was looking... I think I'd be able to bash it out to where it should be, wouldn't be perfect, but would buy me some time.

#13 ·
mutter mutter mutter... The Canadian Dollar dropped in value so now the $450 one from rockauto is now $650. I was going to order it 3 weeks ago, but they didn't have any stock at the Canadian warehouse (would have been $550)... so I waited.. grrr

#14 ·
I see you have back up sensors in that photo. How on earth did the sensors not pickup that pole?

I dont have a backup cam on my ram but I do have the sensors. Only once did I hit something and that was because i was talking on bluetooth and not paying attention to the beeping and kept backing up even though it was screaming at me to stop. Luckily it was only my other car I backed into and the grill popped out pretty easily on it.

Those sensors should have picked up that pole

#15 ·
'Cause I'm a twit.. I tow a lot so I turn off the sensors because with a trailer attached as soon as you put it in reverse it thinks I'm going to hit stuff.

#17 ·
I know the feeling. I backed into a snowbank with my truck last year, only 3 months old at the time...Pushed the bumper in chipped the paint off. That was just snow...i was amazed. I was also doing about 2 mph.

I actually ended up getting my replacement off of ebay. i think the seller was k2motor, look them up. The bumper was like $250 shipped. It came with just primer, and i also had the holes for the backup sensors, and it comes with license plate lights, the top step pad, everything that you need. Mounting hardware, the whole works. I had it painted black to match when it got here at my local shop for $100. They might be cheaper on ebay now, take a look. A lot of sellers usually have free shipping too...just an idea.

Make sure you do your research first to find out exactly what comes with what you're ordering and make sure it fits..Overall i think this was the perfect route for me.

#18 ·
It sux that it damaged the truck, but It did it's job. the bumpers are made to bend. But why?
Federally-regulated design of modern bumpers have proven effective in mitigating the quick transfer of energy to struck vehicles that results in injury.

OBTW. Take you hitch off. One of my friends just got sued by an idiot who drove under his truck. Heres how that works .. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety did a study and proved the hitch or towbar that extends beyond the bumper effectively negates the design of the bumper and increases the transfer of energy from an impact through both vehicles increasing the chance of injury by about 20%. Now we can get sued for have truck type equipment on our trucks..YAY

#19 ·
Be glad it was only a pole. I backed over a HARLEY last summer. :eek:

4 screaming kids in the truck, and a lowrider taking up a car space :ugh - couldn't see it in ANY of my mirrors, & lined it up just PERFECTLY between the backup sensors. They beeped... at the moment of impact... :ugh:ugh

Hit it with the beavertail plugged into the hitch. Not a SCRATCH on the Jeep. Just nudged the Harley onto its side. Stand-up guy that I am, I went and found the owner, and gave him my insurance info. My rates went up $85/mo. this year. Wheeeee... :ugh:ugh:ugh

#20 ·
You can be sued for anything, but it doesn't mean they'll win. I would argue any injury/damage was a proximate result of their failure to maintain an assured clear distance ahead, and they are therefor responsible for any injury/damage.

In other words, don't tailgate me, and you won't rear-end my truck. Don't rear-end my truck, and my hitch can't hurt you. Your fault, you're responsibility.

#22 ·
Then his lawyer sucked, or the legal system has gone to hell. I hope it's the former, and not the later. People can't take responsibility for their own actions anymore, and are looking to get rich off someone else's sweat. If crap like that can actually stand up, what are they going to do next? Let someone win a lawsuit because you put chrome rims on your car and the shine off them "caused" the idiot to drive off the road and hit a tree?

Sorry for the hijack, rant over.
:hijacked::cuss:

Back on topic. Any luck finding a bumper yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.