DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finally got one I like!

6K views 61 replies 15 participants last post by  Beast101247 
#1 ·
after many years and some posting here, I finally got a Dodge that I've wanted. Today I bought a 1974 D100 Adventurer short sweptside std cab. 318,727(I assume) 2wd.I am the 3rd owner. The original owner passed away and the best friends son inherited it in '05.....he sold it cause his wife did not like it. So now I can begin a life with a Dodge!:rck:

The guy took off all the chrome trim and filled the holes with bondo...no biggie, I will have to find the trim or weld the holes shut. ABSOLUTELY NO RUST,has a bad freeze plug and a very small crack on the frame next to the steering box(all the bolts were loose!) Should be an easy fix with the welder.

See less See more
#2 ·
They've had problems with frames cracking near the steering box. Drill a hole in the end an weld it shut. I know mine has a brace. You should be able to find one either in a yard or aftermarket.

Sweet find though and welcome o the family!!!!

I look forward to seeing what all you do with it :D

#3 ·
Plan is to lower it with van LCAs and maybe make some hangers and shackles for the rear.
It will get paint Olive Drab satin. I plan on keeping the steelies/caps,it currently has an 8 1/4 rear axle, may look for a 9" Ford or an 8 3/4...but more than likely the 9"...will be much easier to set up/change for different situations:D!
I have been constipating TBI from a 95 GM truck and a 518 trans.
Need input.....

#4 ·
Dodgeaddict will see this sooner or later...he's the man when it comes to lowering.

And if you really want fuel injection just go with a magnum swap. They sell whole kits for wiring it up and everything. Plus the A518 would bolt right up. If its not behind an engine already.

I normally see 318 magnums and A518 for 300-400 for both! The 360 normally runs a few hundred dollars more.

I like the paint color and the idea of keeping the steelies. It'll have that classic look. And with a magnum under the hood? Maybe with a carb and a big cam:D
Ahhh we can all dream haha

#5 ·
My son and I play all the HALO video games together, as soon as he saw this truck, he said it looked like Master Chief!(Main character in the games) So we are going to do a "tribute" build to Master Chief!
As for the Magnum, I would do that in a heartbeat, but I have had a hard time finding people that have done the wiring that can give me some insight.

#7 ·
A master chief dodge...hmmm thats deff a first!!

Good luck and nothing like a good father/son project!

Are you gonna put a roll cage and a mounted mini gun on it? Haha jk

I'v never done a magnum swap but a stock wiring harness from a magnum truck/dakota as dodgeaddict stated would be a good place to start.

#9 ·
Thanks guys!
Yesterday I decided to pull the engine to replace the freeze plugs and clean/paint and reseal everything. I also have to replace the shift shaft seal on the trans, so I might as well take advantage of the opportunity and replace the pump seal and out put seal. I did find a broken water pump bolt ,so I have to open up the front anyways. I ordered a true roller timing set from summit along with new std duty coil springs and a male terminal distributor cap/rotor.
Started on my HEI conversion,ordered the billet block the bolts to the bottom of the distributor and will be using a 95ish GM coil. At the moment, I plan on leaving the stock carb(1bbl?) cause I dont want to mess around with linkages....right now.

#10 ·
1bbl? I believe you're thinking of a throttle you have the 318 ci .. Likely a 2bbl possibly a 4 bbl.. Carb. Master chief eh look into the tint bypass in your area.. Maybe you can get away with some mirror orange tint on the windows.. Just an idea haha

#12 ·
Most definitely will be a fun truck for cruising

#16 ·
Got some parts last night....
Got the engine and trans pulled out. Gonna clean them up,replace seals and gaskets,replace freeze plugs and maybe do bearings and oil pump..plus the PO broke off 2 bolts, 1 in the block for the water pump and 1 in the exhaust:ugh.
Started on my wiring for the HEI conversion(think I already mentioned that though)

Attachments

#22 ·
You'll regret a ramcharger tank if you ever have to drop it if has any fuel in it. Lost $60 on the ground last time lol

I'm guessin your gonna keep your motor/tranny since your cleanin an sealin it all up?

I'v been considering a magnum swap since this motors about played out.

#24 ·
If your set on a behind the axle tank a RC tank would probably be the easiest.

Think all you'd have to do is drill the holes for the bands if your crossmembers are the same length apart.

I'd be happy to measure mine and let you know what the dimentions are.

Also are your fuel lines on the driver or passenger side?

Reason i ask is the carb RC have the unit facing the passenger side vs the fuel injected faces the driver side. I'v modified the fuel injected until for carb before not that hard to do.

Or you could just run longer rubber hoses

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.