DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Automatic to Manual 2002 4.7L 4x4

10K views 52 replies 11 participants last post by  ECONORAM 
#1 · (Edited)
[Sorry for the typo title, any moderators want to fix that?]
Hey all, transmission quit on me last weekend. I'm still in the process of figuring out what happened to it but since I've had school I've been stuck without time. I drove my brother's previous wrecked Tahoe to school 3 hours away and will be back to diagnose my baby late Monday. I will probably take it to a shop on Tuesday to see what they can find out.

Anyway, I've been desiring a manual vehicle simply because I love driving them and I love to be able to choose my own gear instead of a computer doing it for me. I'm pretty sure, but not 100% sure, that the 2002 4.7L Ram 1500 had an edition that came with a standard transmission. I say this because I've heard of them, saw them, and because my truck has a clutch delete plate. So my truck is a 4x4, which means it has that damn stick sticking out of the floor in the center where I believe the shifter would go for the manual transmission right? So is there a way to make a 2002 4.7L manual transmission fit a 2002 4.7L Ram 1500 Quad Cab?

I want to do this for a few reasons, the first reason being that I love driving standard like I said before. The other reason would be because I can actually work on a manual transmission if it goes bad again. These automatic transmissions are really t0o far beyond my abilities as a self-taught advanced maintenance college kid. So, anyone ever do this process before?

See less See more
#2 ·
- The 6-speed manual for the 4.7L is the Getrag 238. I suggest finding a 2002 parts manual so that you can start acquiring the parts if you plan on doing this yourself. Don't forget that you'll need to get the PCM flashed to "manual" configuration.

- You can have both a manual transfer case and manual transmission. There is a console configuration that supports twin sticks.

#3 ·
If I get a donor 2002 4.7L with the transmission and PCM, would I just be able to transfer the PCM to my truck? I just called a salvage lot to see how much I can get a manual transmission for and he's taking a look. I really want to do this. I feel like if the transmission goes bad again, I can easily fix it myself because manuals are so much easier then automatics. I'd probably just buy a replacement if I wanted an auto still but a 6-speed manual sounds like a great deal. Does it matter what year it came off of? Since mine is an 02, could I get any 4.7L transmission up to an 05? Where can I find a parts manual too?

#4 ·
I believe five speed transmissions were the only manual available for 02-05 1500s, then later 06-08 had the six speed manual Getrag (G238). Can anyone confirm this?

#5 ·
That's what I thought too...I was excited to hear that 6 speed was for 02-05 too. I guess not. Someone has to know this process.

#7 ·
The Getrag 238 shows up as an option in my 2005 service manual. I guess I assumed that it would have also been available for the 2002, but I am not certain.

#8 ·
I think the transmission are the same for 2002-2004 and then change in 2005...I think I read that somewhere, I'm downloading the service manuals now, going to take a look at them. If I can do this, I'm going to be extremely happy!

#9 ·
I won't need the Transmission Control Module anymore correct?

#10 ·
It's the NV3500 that was made for the 1987 - 2003 4.7L engines. That'll be one the one I'd be putting in I guess. I contacted the guy that did my ring and pinion to see what he says about it and all he said was it'd be a lot of labor. He said he's going to look into what needs to be done and give me a call tonight or tomorrow.

#12 ·
Where would I be able to get a manual flash?

#13 ·
Just got the no-go from my dad. He thinks it'll be too hard for me to do and more expensive than a rebuild from someone else. Since it's technically his truck I guess I have to abide by his rules. I feel like it wouldn't be that hard really...I mean how much could it possibly require. The hardest part would be getting the clutch pedal installed, there's only a few things that need to be done to swap the transmission right? It can't be that difficult.

#14 ·
Not that difficult, just need the right parts. Easiest would be to find a complete parts truck to ensure you've got everything.

Off the top of my head:
Trans w/mounts, driveshaft, shifter, pedal box, clutch, flywheel, clutch hydraulics

No offense intended, but I would tend to agree with your father given the nature of the questions you ask on the subject

#15 ·
your dad is right, the difficulty is debatable, but consider this. You would definitely ruin any resale value that truck might have. It would probably cost more that an auto rebuild, and it could wind up having nagging little issues after the job is done. You can get rebuilds shipped for 1200 or less, you'd just need to do the install. Plus, the crate trans will at least have a warranty. Look here

http://www.wholesaletransmissiondistributor.com/

#16 ·
Yea just talked to a few places today. When I had my 97 Chevy Silverado, I had the transmission rebuilt. They did a pretty good job and it was pretty cheap so I'm probably going to take it to them. They'll do the rebuild for $1350, that's with them taking it off, rebuilding it, and installing it. I was thinking of maybe taking the transmission off myself and then taking it to him, he said he'd rebuild it for $850 that way. I don't plan on reselling this truck but with my situation and my dad's financial situation, I guess I'll have to just have it rebuilt. I thought it'd be a fun job, of course frustrating at times just like anything else, but I'd have a lot of experience from it, and a 5-speed manual Ram. I just thought it would be a fun thing to do.

#17 ·
I still really want to do the manual transmission. I have another truck that i can use while it sits in my shop. It'll require extra things that I'm willing to buy. I think I can do it.

#18 ·
Found a donor truck not too far away really. It has 141k and will be able to drive from yard to home, 600 miles, according to the guy at the yard. Not going to go for it yet because I still have a ton more research to do. I have one question though, is the manual transmission length different from the automatic? I ask this because I will need to get a re - sized driveshaft if this is the case.

#19 ·
yeah i think they are different lengths but not a 100% on that. but it would be a lot of work like the others have said but it is do-able. like they said the best route to go would be to find a donor to make sure you had all the parts needed.

with that said with the 4.7 with the auto trans SUCKS. if my truck would have been an auto i would have sold it along time ago the 4.7 doesn't have much power to begin with and with the auto it just seems to make that problem worse. my old roommate had a four door auto and i use to hate to drive his truck.

#20 ·
Yea it does no doubt about it. That's why I moved up to the 4.56 gears to get a little more out of it but that still didn't do much. I feel that it may be the cause of my transmission failure too...probably something to do with the temperature of the transmission. I found a donor truck in Denver, CO, about 600 miles away from home but I've called every possible place around me to see if they had one and they all say they have been stripped clean. This donor truck apparently has the ability to make the trip according to the salvage lot guy but I don't know. If it gets at least 12 mpg that'll be around $160 in gas at minimum. I don't see it being too much work either, I've done a lot of research over the past few days and it doesn't seem like it'll be that much work. Of course what do I know but I would bet most of the people here haven't done a swap like this so they wouldn't know for sure. I put my truck in the shop today and sprayed everything with WD-40 to prepare it for whatever I decide to do. I can fly for free so I'll just fly up to Denver and drive the truck back...if I want it. I'm going to test it and make sure the all the components of the transmission are in good shape. The only thing I'm worried about is the drive-shaft lengths. Getting the drive-shaft re-sized does not sound like a cheap job. The donor is a RC and my truck is a QC but they're both 4.7L V8 4x4s. I think if I get the donor, it can transfer everything over. I might just buy a new pilot bushing because they're only like $15 and it'll probably be better than using a used one. As far as the clutch and pressure plate goes, simple transfer from one truck to the other. I'll take of the flexplate on my truck and put the flywheel from the donor on, then the clutch, and pressure plate. There are a few little things I have to work out with the input shaft pieces...still not 100% sure what I'll need to change. After I get the flywheel, clutch, and p plates on my truck...it's ready for the transmission really. I have to make sure the transfer case will be suitable, I might just use the one from the donor and sell mine...if the donor's works. Then I can take the clutch pedal assembly and all the components of the clutch from the donor, and simply install them. My truck has a clutch delete plate so there won't be any firewall drilling necessary. The only cutting I have to do is through the floor board for the shifter, I'll get those measurements from where the donor has it's hole. I don't see this being too much work, just a lot of time. My transmission is already fried, my truck will already be sitting in the shop for weeks since we can't afford a rebuild, and I have all the tools I need. If I get that donor for $500 or less...I'm pretty much set. As long as the clutch is in good shape, and the transmission isn't total crap then I'll be good. If the clutch is bad...well I'll just buy a new set for $200 with pressure plates and clutch, and I'm still cheaper than a rebuild by $600 or so. You guys saying it's going to be as expensive or more expensive doesn't make sense to me. The last thing I need to do is find out if the drive-shaft will need to be re-sized or replaced or whatever, and how much that'll cost. If it's not more than $600 which I don't see it being, then I will be set.

#21 ·
If the donor truck is a RC longbed, the driveshaft will work. Not if it's a shortbrd. If you're going to go through the trouble if a swap, definitely put a new clutch set in. I've done manual swaps in old BMW's and they aren't that difficult, just tedious. Having the right tools is key, and a lift makes the job a lot easier.

Agreed I'd hate my truck if it was automatic. But with a 6spd, it's entertaining enough

#22 ·
The donor is a shortbed, that's the issue. I'm hoping my driveshaft will be long enough. How much does it cost to get all driveshaft resized?

#23 ·
dude, you keep throwing good money after bad on this thing, and it still isn't what you want. Why don't you guys get rid of it and get what you really want. You've already done gears, and that is the biggest bang for the buck mod in the 4.7 universe. Your comment was that they didn't do all that much. You think this will magically make things that much better ? At the end of the day, you still have an engine that is too weak for a truck that big/heavy. You can spend thousands modding a 4.7, and if you'e lucky, you might equal the output of a stock hemi. With all the money you've spent, plus what you bought the truck for, you could've had a hemi model already.

#24 ·
I really cannot stand people telling me to sell it and get a different truck. I left the desire for hemi-power out of this truck a while ago. I got the gears with the DTT for more fun in mud and dirt, not speed. That totaled $2,255. Now I've spent about $3,000 on this truck after having purchased it 1 year and a half ago for $10,500 in what I saw as great condition because I was a stupid uneducated moron who wanted a cool looking truck. Now the value for my truck is near what like $7k?

You misunderstood what I want out of a 5-speed. I love to drive standard vehicles, it makes it "that much better" to drive. With the 4.56s in it, I get what I need from it. Maintaining highway speed is fine, fuel mileage is 3 mpg better than before. My father owns the truck since I'm merely a Sophomore in college and in no way can afford to make payments for it. With that said, my father is not willing to let the $6,000, that we'd lose by selling, an option. I agree. When I had a job over the summer and made around $3k, I should of sold it and got a new vehicle. Which I was a phone call away from doing. My father, the owner, disagreed with me and refused to let me sell it.

Now that you know selling my truck is not an option, I wanted to simply put a manual transmission in to replace the now broken automatic one. I didn't want performance out of it, I simply wanted it to be a manual. I hated my truck for a few reasons. The 4.7L 235hp engine WAS one of them. My truck also couldn't hold 75 mph in overdrive and was a complete slug everywhere I went. The 4.56s solved two of those and made the main one more bearable. It is no longer a complete slug and can hold speed just fine. I took it off road a few hundred miles after break in and had a blast. The DTT was also an addition to that fun.

Now, most likely because of the 4.56s, the transmission quit very abruptly. I think it may have had something to do with transmission temperature but I don't know enough about that to determine the cause. I've done a bunch of research on this transmission swap and all I need is a donor truck, which I've found but in process of buying and to determine if I'll need a driveshaft resizing. Everything else is already ready to go.

I had no intention of increasing performance with this swap. I'm only doing this because it's either a $1300 rebuild or a possible $800 swap. I'm not throwing my money away, I HAVE to get a new transmission either way. I have walked the path of looking for performance mods and I'm done with it.

All I asked from this thread was does anyone know anything about doing a swap like this. Whoever gave me the manuals has really been the only helpful person because that had everything I needed. It showed all the parts for both automatic and manual. All I need is the donor...and permission, and I'm set to go.

Thanks for telling me what everyone else says. Oh just sell your rusted, paint fading 2002 4.7L ram no big deal...it's not like you just put $2k worth of rear and front end parts in it...just sell it and cut your $6k losses. Think about what you're telling me with that buzz.

#25 · (Edited)
#26 · (Edited)
That website doesn't even have a transmission for my truck. Mine is 45RFE. The 46RE doesn't fit the 4.7 according to that website. 5.2 and 5.9 only.

#27 ·
Well I just got off the phone with the owner of the donor truck. Turns out he's not going to sell it. That was the only way I could keep the price cost effective.

Buzz I'm sorry for freaking out on you, you're mostly right. I just don't see how I can possibly sell my truck with what I've done to it. First off the paint is fading on the roof and there is significant rust damage on the rear right of the bed on the wheel well. I've put $3500 into it at least without the transmission. Just put the gears in and had manifold work done on it, plus other small things. If the value of the truck is around $7k-$8k and I've put that much into, how am I going to be able to not get completely screwed if I were to sell it. We bought it for $10,500. When I was looking for trucks the 06-08 model hemis, which is what I would want, were in the $13k area.

#28 ·
I get the impression, from what you've typed, that your truck was under water at some point. Probably came from up here, after hurricane Sandy. I probably would've cut my losses there.

Hey, I get it. My son bought a can't miss Dakota R/T for 4K. He put 4K into it just getting it road worthy(former race truck). It was a nightmare. We finally got it going after changing out the entire wiring harness among other WTF things we found wrong. Then the engine spun 2 rod bearings(it was supposedly a fresh build). That was another 4K.

Sound familiar ? Find a good donor truck and transfer your good shit to it. Call that trans site and see if they have newer trannies, their website could just be stale. The computer issue alone, going to a manual, could wind up blowing your $800 budget. I'll bet any amount that you'll be 2x what you're estimating, and may still not be reliable. How do you know these parts would be good, unless you bought new stuff. 800-1000(or more) is a lot for a gamble. And I promise you, you'll destroy the value of that truck, with a home brewed conversion.

If you're truely married to this thing, and it sounds like you are, don't do things 1/2 assed. It will only cost you more in the long run.

#29 ·
My truck was never underwater...at least I don't think so. Interior is in good shape, Carfax doesn't say anything about any damage at all...but who knows with that. My truck is in pretty good shape. The bottom is rusted beyond belief but I think it is just from road salt while the truck was In Ohio. From what carfax said before I bought it, it was manufactured in Ohio, stayed their and put 74k miles on it. Then went to Colorado with a second owner and got it up to 94k. That's when I got a hold of it. First thing needed was the exhaust manifold leaking. Shop had to drill out bolts and re thread due to rust. $700 gone right there. Then came radiator, brake calipers, exhaust(rusted right through in many places, places transmission fluid pan(also rusted right through). After that was evaporator core for a/c system which was one hell of a job. Then came the homemade CAN which sucked because the 4.7 sucks. Then came 4.56s and DTT...Now transmission. This truck has truly been a huge PITA. I should have for rid of it back when I had the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.