DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

question about 14 3500

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  gsbrockman 
#1 ·
Im in the market for a new truck and decided to go with a cummins. Looking at a 3500 Laramie but I am getting man. trans (personal preference). Why does the auto and 385hp and 850ft lbs but the man trans only have 350hp and 660 ft lbs?

#2 ·
The clutch is the weak link, and they derate the manual trans versions. You also lose auto start, remote start, and auto high idle when you go to the G56 transmission. I pull a 15.5K class fiver with my truck in DRW form, and I love my automatic trans. I went with the 68RFE with 4.10 gears, which give me a GCVWR of 30,000 lbs as factory rated. It also came with the louvered differential covers. The best thing that I did was pay the additional 50.00 for the 14000 lb GVWR rated suspension on my order. I had to make the sales manager correct the order twice before he got it right. They usually do not order the 14000 lb GVWR configuration at my dealer, but when I brought it in with the camper in tow, he realized that it sat a lot better with the pin weight on the truck without needing any aftermarket modifications for my usage.

#3 ·
Just to clarify, it is all tuning. The drivetrain for all intents and purposes is the same. One advantage the G56 has is the lack of the "dead pedal" and torque management.

My 07 was a G56 and I enjoyed it. I finally decided to try an automatic and I don't see myself going back, too much time in traffic these days.

#4 ·
Go auto

I have 2014 3500 srw crew 8 ft bed with 6.7 auto. You feel the torque limiting as you drive. I think it is for safety and component longevity. You are given the torque required to do the job. Think about this at 50 the back tire can be broke loose. Drive with mpg in mind and you can get30 mpg. I am a manual guy too. So is wife. But if you are buying a big truck, get all you can. You can always do with less but it is nice to pull the hills of VA at 70 mph never slow or downshift pulling a 14,000 trailer. And get 27.9 avg mpg for run from Texas to nj pulling that loaded trailer.

#5 ·
I have 2014 3500 srw crew 8 ft bed with 6.7 auto. You feel the torque limiting as you drive. I think it is for safety and component longevity. You are given the torque required to do the job. Think about this at 50 the back tire can be broke loose. Drive with mpg in mind and you can get30 mpg. I am a manual guy too. So is wife. But if you are buying a big truck, get all you can. You can always do with less but it is nice to pull the hills of VA at 70 mph never slow or downshift pulling a 14,000 trailer. And get 27.9 avg mpg for run from Texas to nj pulling that loaded trailer.
I do enjoy outlandish MPG claims.

OP, please do not expect 27mpg while towing 14K....ain't gonna happen.

#7 ·
Enjoy your magical truck and never sell it!

#11 ·
I hear ya....that's better mpg than my '04 Dodge Neon SXT w/2.0L SOHC and 4 speed automatic. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.