DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2003 Dodge Ram oil pan removal

41K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  trapp40 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am trying to remove the oil pan on my 2003 Dodge Ram and have removed all the bolts and the torque converter cover and the oil pan will not come off. There is something inside holding it and I am lost as to what it is or how to get it loose. Help! I need my truck in the morning and need to get the pan off tonight. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim

#2 ·
The pan wont budge at all?

#4 ·
are you hitting the pickup screen/tube?

#5 ·
Haven't had the pan off of that model but previous experience would say you might have the pickup tube hanging up on the bottom of the sump.

#6 ·
What engine do you have (I'm trying to locate it on my Service Manual CD)

#7 ·
If you have a 4.7, the manual is calling for special tool #8534 to raise the engine to clear the oil pan. DO NOT Pry on the Oil Pan, the gasket is part of the windage tray and isnt part of the oil pan.

#10 ·
You just need a special tool. The dealer probably sells it. You have to unbolt the engine mounts and crossmember to lower the pan. I would put everything back together, and wait till the weekend, or day off. The manual says to put the bolts back in the same holes (tighten to 105 in.-lbs).

#11 ·
oil pan removal

Here is an attached file from the CD Manual.

Attachments

#14 ·
Haven't tried it myself, but it don't make sense to have to raise the engine a little to drop a simple pan. I guess that's how DC make$ more $$ at the $tealership!

#19 ·
trapp40 said:
Thanks so much for the help. I got it done and you don't have to raise the engine. Seperating the pan from the windage tray was tough but once that was done, the pan came out easy.

Thanks again!
Tim, why are you doing this?

#23 ·
Yes...love the 4.7 ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.