DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

knocking problems

716 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  threetwos 
#1 ·
Hey i accidentally overheatred my engine on a cold morning because a few lines froze. (nothing seroius happened that we know of.) before i had a slight knocking in my engine and its still there and i know its not good. I want to do something about it but i dont have any ideas as to what to do. Its a 1991 power ram 150 witha 360ci engine (not original engine) i took off the valve covers and there wasn't any eccessive movement in there. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot.
Dan

#2 ·
Dan, by 'knocking' do you mean the engine knocks all the time or just under load? Is it within the engine or kinda like a rattling/knocking sound from detonation? A deep knock under load usually means rod bearings. If you think it's an engine sound and not a combustion event the only real way is to drop the oil pan,(pretty easy on a Dodge), first look for any aluminum shavings or pieces,(rod bearing material), if you find some expect the worst. The rod bearings are ususally the first bearing to 'go' cause it only recieves oil on the upstroke,(timed oil supply), the mains get it all the time but they too can become damaged. Easy fix if you catch it in time. I would also change the oil pump and pickup if it's bearing problem. (A top end or bottom problem can be easy "heard" with a stick of wood or a stethoscope to the ear when the engine is running)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.