DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2011 hemi 2500 noise. dealer says normal...

37K views 205 replies 45 participants last post by  BobtheBuilder 
#1 ·
Anymore info on the noisy hemi exhaust- air - ticking sound? I have had it in 3 times in the last month. The 1st time was a week after buying it. I told them I would never have bought this truck the way it sound now. After days of searching it seems that this is a 2500 problem. I have a appt tomorrow with a performance exhaust shop, i hope they can help.

Any info would be great.

#124 ·
Thanks Katie. Much appreciated.

I could spend an hour or so going into detail on the issues I've had with this particular truck and the dealership I purchased it from.

#125 ·
An interesting thing Im hearing is that this sounds to be mostly a 2500 issue... However, I have a 2010 TRX HEMi and I have the exact same noise / combo of noises as you guys are reporting and its driving me bonkers.. Because i am so far behind you guys on 4th gen lingo, Can you guys tell me what the DT slang is for the following:

1. Engine Idling ticking sound similar to the 3rdGen Hemi Tick WITH...(See #2)

2. this annoying air-whispy-whirling-whistel sound pulsing in perfect rhythm with the "Tick"

3. On mild-moderate RPM range acceleration I am hearing a higher pitch chirp / detonation sound. Kind of like you would expect running cheap gas on a HOT HOT day, but not as loose or loud. seems to come and go through the acceleration range

So... possible Clue? What do the 2500 HEMI and the TRX share in common that the other 1500 guys dont?

Dane

#126 ·
I got this weird noise lately on my stock 2012 Power Wagon (a bit less than 8K km's on it). Revving the engine while in park on neutral sounds normal, no ticking whatsoever. But when I accelerate I hear this low humming noise seemingly coming from the front/bottom area even at highway speeds. Not too loud but certainly annoying. It's kinda the same hum what you hear from the transmission for the first few minutes when departing on a very cold day. I also feel a slight vibration in the accelerator pedal and in the transfer case lever. Mileage got worse, it seems that the engine is working harder for some reason. Any ideas what it could be ? Is there a quick fix to this or should I call the stealership ?

Thanks !

#127 ·
Dogge,

Hard to say what could be causing your concerns, is it intermittent or consistent? How long does it last? I would recommend going to your Dodge dealer for a more in depth diagnosis. A 2012 vehicle with 8,000km will have full factory warranty remaining.

Keep us posted and PM me if you have any other inquiries or need any additional assistance.

#128 ·
Katie H.

I sure hope Chrysler is reading the post's we're writing and putting engineers to work to find a solution to this issue. It's a well know problem and it's a shame that my model year 2010 truck sounds like Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang going down the road.

Thank you.

Edward O.

#129 ·
Someone will have to confirm this for me but I saw on eBay a direct replacement magnaflow cat set up. States it works on 1500 and 2500. It does appear that the cats are right off the manifolds. Not sure if it will fit directly or with some modification but could be a possibility. It's online for around $600. At this point a small price to pay well for me atleast.

#130 ·
The problem with that is the factory cats have an o2 sensor in them. You would have to extend the wires up to the new location of the cats. Also the routing of the driver side pipe may be an issue as well since we have a live front axle and driveshaft location to deal with.
I highly doubt what would work for a 1500 would work for an HD truck.
Now i would be curious to see if you put a 2500 ypipe in a 1500 if it would sound like the 2500's.

#131 ·
I'll add another passenger side exhaust manifold bolt to the list. One day mine developed a "tick," so I googled the noise and found a couple of youtube vids that sounded exactly like mine, and they were all 4th gen rams with the same exhaust manifold bolt broken.

My dealer tried to replace it, but they can't get the bolt out of the head, so they're replacing the head. That should happen this week actually.

They've been great about it. Mine has 66000 miles and they're replacing it under the power train warranty.

Justin

#133 ·
Good luck! I'm interested in what you find out...

#134 ·
I read this post a while back. Didn't really pay attention, but now that you guys are talking about it, I too have had the noise. Only under load, as stated before. I had a Magnaflow Y-pipe and 14" exhaust put on. The shop pulled everything from the y to the muffler off and welded that all together, so its stainless from the y pipe to the muffler. It still dumps behind the wheel b/c I was not sure about removing the resonator.
It is annoying. I really hear it with my windows down. Hopfully we can figure this out.

#135 ·
I'm sure a solution will be found.. The questions will be how much money, patience, time and performance may be potentially spent or lost. I'm personally still contemplating putting 200 cell mini race cats up stream if space permits. I just hope it doesn't slow down the light off of the main ones or terribly restrict flow. I'd be more than happy spending some cash on other performance parts to make up any hp loss.

#136 ·
So, I think I was able to capture the sound today while I was out driving. I tried multiple times to do so, and one seems to work. It is at about the 17 sec mark when you can hear it with the exhaust. As we've stated, I was accelerating so it was under load. It was not making that sound any other time.
An interesting side note, it doesn't do it in reverse. I went the length of a parking lot in R and didn't hear it. Anywho, here is the video of what I hope the sound is. It lasts a few seconds before the wind noise becomes too loud.

http://s1269.beta.photobucket.com/user/stubie82/media/MVI_0590.mp4.html

#138 ·
Yep, that's the same sound mine makes. It's not the Hemi Tick and it's not an exhaust leak...

#137 ·
Is it the "ticking" sound that you're refering to?

#141 ·
I currently own a 2011 Dodge powerwagon. Since the first day i noticed this Noise, especially if your next to a median and your windows are down. I changed the muffler, I put on the magnaflow y-pipe, Its been to the shop 3 times on this issue. Finally two techs rode in the truck with me, I rolled down the window and the both heard the sound. When we got back, One of the techs said come on, lets go for a ride in his 2500, and so i did. Same sound. He described it being that the 2500's are VVT Hemis, while my 09 1500 i sold was a MDS hemi. Long story short, he says its completely normal.. Now Seriously this is not normal, I have never had any trucks of mine make this noise. I will admit his truck did it too, But i have been complaining for a year about this issue, and it has never been resolved. If you search this, I posted about this about a year ago. Such a shame they havent addressed this issue yet. One dealer even tried to tell me, because of where the condenser is located it drips on the belt and make it squeal a little. The same dealer thought my power wagon was a damn diesel. These guys are not trained to work on these trucks. Try asking them to lube the driveshaft, they look at you like your an idiot, when clearly on my truck there is a nipple from factory.

Steve

#142 ·
Another crap answer. All the 4th gen Hemis are VVT, doesn't matter if it has MDS or not.

#143 ·
So if every HD Hemi does this then maybe it is normal. I'm not saying I like it, but if its not doing any damage to the truck I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. When somebody finds a "fix" for it then I'll join the bandwagon and do the same thing.

#144 ·
I've said this before but just because they all do doesn't mean we should just ignore it and call it normal.

#145 ·
I can't say that I have heard this on any of my 4th gen HD hemi's, and I've had 3. When I get home from Mexico, I will have to listen closely to see if I can hear it or not.

#147 ·
my 08 with mds sounded horrible from day one. i thought my new truck sounded great and was quiet. after reading this thread i can hear the noise described. thanks:ugh

#148 ·
Thank god for this forum so we don't have to rely on the dipshit techs at the dealerships for all of our problems. I won't take my truck their, even for warranty or recall issues. It is easier and less time consuming to fix the truck myself than let those tards touch it.

Just my thoughts.

BTW, I bitched about this the first week of owning my truck. Guess what they said, "it's normal". If I posted my true thoughts on the matter I would be kicked off the forum for my vulgarity, so for now I will leave it at dipshits.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.