DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellwig 7651 rear sway bar installed!

6K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  MikeHTally 
#1 ·
Wow, best mod ever. Was concerned about clearance with the tailpipe of my 3" single Magnaflow system but it fit fine. 20" spare tire fits as well. Paid $212 shipped and had two days after I ordered it.

Took me just a bit over an hour to install laying under the truck. Hardest part was dropping the spare and reinstalling it. One mistake in the instructions though. They want you to double nut the axle u bolts but not enough thread to do that BUT they have jam nuts in that size so used those. I double nutted the u bolts that go over the frame.

Everything bolted right up, no drilling, all parts were there, nothing missing. Hopefully I mounted it the correct way as they don't tell you which way is up! All I know is that it fit the way I put it in.;) Was concerned that it might be too close to the spare but it rotates down when the suspension travels. I have seen people complain about the threads on the end links being difficult to thread the nuts on but they are JAM nuts and are supposed to be like that. I threaded the top nut on the stud while it was clamped in a vise and ran them down so a couple threads were showing. With the top washer and poly bushing installed I dropped them thru the frame brackets as I installed them. Had to just move the right brake line a bit to clear the axle brackets.

Was concerned about the end links hitting the tailpipe of my Magnaflow 3" single exhaust but have about 1/2" clearance. Not sure about how it will fit duals.

Now the best part, the results. Taking exit ramps at speeds I never would have before and also drove over my favorite frost heave that would send the back end sideways and much better now! Highly recommended.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hard to believe how my nice pretty exhaust sure has got ugly in just a year!

Attachments

#3 ·
Nice write up. Another item on the want list for me. I used to upgrade the rear sway bars on all of my old cars, i know just how much difference they can make, are the bushings rubber or squeaky poly? Nicely done.

#5 ·
Same here on both statements.

#6 ·
#7 ·
That looks great and nice write up. I have a Hellwig catalog because I was thinking about getting one, now I know I have to add this to the mod list. Any help to keep the back end in line is always a good thing.

#8 ·
It really does help you feel planted going around circle on or offramps. I've got a confidence level with the truck's handling that lets me be a little more aggressive. Combined with bilstein shocks and poly bushings up front, the truck can corner with a muscle car (or at least close to it). What I really like is that it didn't seem to REALLY stiffen the ride much. The bilsteins did, but the hellwig doesn't feel much different until you're using it in a corner. I took it off to see if the ride would get a little smoother about 2 years ago, and put it back on after a week or two. Above all else, it makes the ride more enjoyable. You feel the Gs when taking a corner a little tighter than might be recommended. I'm a fan.

And it does look like it's installed correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.