DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bypass an Automobile DVD Player's Parking Brake Safety Switch

35K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  MeenGreen5.2 
#1 ·
How to Bypass an Automobile DVD Player's Parking Brake Safety Switch

Anyone done it. Iv'e read one guy installed an on/off switch in case he was pulled over.

#2 ·
depends on the make/model of the head unit. OEM requires the use of a "lockpick" or "allgig" device. Newer clarions require a chip unit from ebay or a relay/toggleswitch. Older models can get by with grounding the parking brake sensor wire. I have a newer clarion so I bought a module on ebay for $20 and it works great. I didn't want to use a relay since they can be noisy when they kick on/off.

#3 ·
I've read that some of the newer players detect motion and there's no way to bypass that... and even if you can do it. it's probabaly illegal or might send a code to the computer (just guessing)... Probably a lot easier, safer, and maybe even cheaper to just buy a portable DVD player.

#4 ·
my reason for the bypass had nothing to do with DVD playback. I want my passengers to have the ability to modify a route or input an address into the nav unit without having to exit the freeway and stop completely. I mean, they have passenger airbag detection why not enable nav features if they detect a passenger? Also, I have my backup cam connected to a switch rather than the reverse wire so i can turn it on whenever I want. This lets me check on my trailer/tires while sitting at a traffic light or driving. Many safe reasons to bypass the restrictions...

#5 ·
I think the lockpick is the only way to go on our newer trucks. I could be wrong though.

#6 ·
I agree. With a stock nav unit, this is your best bet. With aftermarket, a simple relay will do the trick. I have my Pioneer bypassed so my wife and other passengers can watch movies on trips.

#8 ·
I have a Lockpick and it was the best investment so far. Complete plug-and-play and customizable. Bought it from Sonic Electronix for best price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.