DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cam help?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  madmikeismad 
#1 ·
i was wondering if i could get some advice on the type of cam i should choose. i would like to gain more hp and tq without compleetly rebuilding my engine. right now i am leanning towards getting a compcams 20-811-9 with a sct tuner. i already have a spectre cold air intake also i was looking into possibly upgrading my throtle body, intake manifiold, and jba headers with full magnaflow exhaust any input will be greatly apreciated

#3 ·
What exactly are your goals?

Comp will also talk you through it if you get the right service guy on the phone.

I just looked up that cam, it looks like a pretty hefty street/track cam. I like it. Just make sure it won't require valve reliefs.

The rest of your plans sound good as well, just don't plan on having tons of power down low once you starting adding more and more power. Typically the more power you make, it'll be higher in the powerband, and torque starts dropping there.

Also, if you plan on more than about 20hp, you'll need a valvebody and torque converter real soon. Honestly, a trans build is the first thing I'd do. It was the most noticeabe improvement I ever made to my gas truck.

#4 ·
big cam! is this a daily driver?
u ready for a torque converter and new gear ratios. that cam will love to scream!
and i wouldnt do anything without having the heads checked. prepare for bad news on chrystler heads!
rings, bores, rods, and crank should be all good enough to handle it. pretty strong on the btm end. its the top of the magnum motors that need typical help.
pretty lofty goals, brother

#5 ·
thanks for the input i was just doing some shopping because I'm not sure which one to go with yet i want a cam that will build good power but will also give me more in the bottom end and this is going to be my daily driver.

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
i use a 212 torquer. cause i carry a load all the time. my rig is a 6400lb 4x4 work truck. with out the 1000lbs of tools on board- the truck can circle and fry tires.
figure out how much you want to do, how far you want to go, and purpose build the vehicle to suit your own needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.