DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

JBA 3.7L Short Tube Headers Installed!

1K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  XxSilentHawk99x 
#1 ·
Alright guys, the long been waiting for review of the JBA 3.7 Headers can now be done by me! I unfortunately couldnt get to a DIY because these ****ers were very challenging to install, especially on the driver side.
I placed my order through Nick at Airram.com. He and I talked about it and I sent him a payment of 319.00 shipped for the headers. I am part of the www.****.com forums and I know that he wanted to get a group buy started, which is why I'm trying to promote more of you guys to pitch in. Anyways, I wanted to get my headers as soon as possible and did not want to wait for the group buy. After a few calls, Nick and I worked things out and my headers came within about 5 days. To my surprise, they looked/felt extremely great. I bought the stainless steel finish on them and all I can say is I knew they would make a difference both for cosmetics and performance. The box the headers came in were clearly marked with about a million JBA logos. However, I did not realize there was a small problem with my buy at the time. Once I began to disassmeble the factory headers, I realized that I was shorted a great deal of bolts for the new ones. Luckily, my buddy was able to pitch in and had just the amount of bolts I needed to get these headers on. I did the install about 3 nights ago on Sunday. The total time it took me (including taking a very late night snack break and messing around) was about 4 hours including unbolting the factory headers. After installing these suckers, I'll say to anyone that wants to do it on their own, you better work on the driver side first, primarily because it took the longest of the sides. It was very difficult to get enough room to get to some of the bolts, even with the right tools. I strongly suggest if your truck is not lifted, you should use a jack, remove the tires and the wheel well liner in order to get plenty of room to work with. The biggest problem on the driver side was finding different ways to navigate around the steering column and the other components that are generously right in the way of the headers. The passenger side took me all in all about an hour and a half to do including removal of the factory headers :) . The driver side is where I got extremely frustrated because that took me almost 3 hours to do.... :VHOT: Make sure that once the headers are on, you torque ALL the bolts to the factory settings. Anyways, after the install, I started the truck up and right at idle, the sound was extremely throatier and deeper. I have a Flowmaster 50 series exhaust on it and a Trueflow intake, and with the headers now on, I noticed a big change in the sound. As I drove the truck home, I noticed 1) my throttle response had improved significantly, 2) there was more sound now coming from the motor, 3) the sound was deeper and throatier even at higher RPM's and 4) my engine looked oh so beautiful with some stainless steel...hehe. I will say to ANY of the v6 guys, these headers will NOT let you down. But I strongly suggest that if you are going to take on the install yourself, prepare yourself for hell....Anyways here are some pictures to cheer you guys up.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Those should help gettin them 33" meats movin Bro. Glad they went on relatively easy. :)

KB

#3 ·
Looks great. Glad you are happy with them.

#5 ·
haha I'll take care of that tommorrow afternoon

#6 ·
Looks great... I cant wait to hear it!

Im glad you where able to get past the "MISSING BOLTS" I will be sure to contact my supplier and point that out to him... the least he can do is send you new bolts so you can give them back to your friend.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

#7 ·
I like and it looks good.

#8 ·
Thanks guys. Nick you dont need to worry about the bolts issue. I already contacted the guys at JBA...they already sent the parts my way...

#10 ·
yes sound clips are def required! And i am assuimg they look nothing like the 3.9l headers huh.

#11 ·
quick question Did it come with everything you need (Besides some missing bolts) to install it like gaskets ect ect.

#12 ·
In the 3rd pic it looks like you have a heater hose in direct contact with the header tube. Might want to double check that as I'm sure it's not a good thing to have! Could be just the angle in the picture making it look like they are touching though.

#13 ·
man wake up i need a sound clip.

#14 ·
HoustonHemi said:
In the 3rd pic it looks like you have a heater hose in direct contact with the header tube. Might want to double check that as I'm sure it's not a good thing to have! Could be just the angle in the picture making it look like they are touching though.
Maybe they shorted him a heat shield also?

#15 ·
Well, the box didn't come with much...The instructions mentioned it had water hose clamps, new water hose, etc...but the headers don't touch...so I don't think there should be any issue. The gaskets are fantastic. Like I said, beside the lack of bolts, the entire setup was successful. I'll take a look at the water hose later today as well as get a nice sound clip for all you guys...You'll notice it's a lot different.

#16 ·
I've noticed that gibsons seem to be significantly more $$ than the jbas. Does anyone know why, or are you just paying extra for the gibson name?

#17 ·
#19 ·
Wow, those headers did make your exhaust sound deeper than the last time I heard it.

#21 ·
Thanks guys...I kinda like to think the 50 series Flowmaster helped too...Most guys with the v6 motors have the 40 series. I did have it, but it seemed to get very annoying had high RPM's so I switched to a less agressive muffler

#22 ·
yea i really think i hit the nail on the head with my 50 series delta si/so

#23 ·
AIR_RAM said:
What part numbers are you comparing?
SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Off your site for example, the gibsons stainless, gp309s, are $510, the jba stainless,1949s-1, are $335 (even less now for the group buy). The ceramics for gibson, gp309s-c, are $748, and the jba ceramics are, 1949s-1jt, are $486 (even less now with group buy). I'll admit I may be comparing apples to coconuts, but I don't think so.

And I'll say thanks in advance Nick. You seem to be fielding a lot of questions from me lately and I really appreciate you taking the time to answer them.

#24 ·
:evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

I can't wait to get mine installed!~!

sounds great

#25 ·
GreatWhiteNorth, I had Gibson(only sold my Gibsons since I needed the money) and now run JBA's, but both are great. A few months ago both were of equal price . The only reason the JBA's are cheaper is the company is marking down the cost of a lot of their products, probably to blow out some inventory?

#26 ·
I am very glad to hear that these headers are getting out there and people are putting them on. I bought my Ram in October of '06 and contacted JBA shortly thereafter because I knew they made headers for the 3.7 Liberty (and they are only a few blocks away from my work). After harrassing them for about 6 months they finally agreed to take a look at my truck and see how much different the exhaust was on the Ram compared to the Liberty. Apparently there were just some minor tweaks they needed to make around the collector area. A few months after the initial inspection they had me bring in my truck and leave it with them for a few days for Research and Development. I promised Brad Harvey over at JBA that I would spread the word after they gave me my "free" set for letting them use my truck as the guinea pig for the development of these headers. You can all thank me later.

I haven't been able to install mine yet because I broke my hand a few days after I got the headers. Silent Hawk, thanks for the pics and the synopsis, I'm certain that your info will help ease the install when I get around to it. The sound clip is great, I have been trying to figure out what I was going to do with the rest of the exhaust once I get the headers on.

Happy truckin'!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.