DodgeTalk Forum banner

You didn't use those $22 front wheel bearings....did you?

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  mistypotato 
#1 ·
On my vehicles I always spend more for good quality wheel bearings. I've heard too many stories of very short life on the cheap bearings.

TIMKEN front hub/bearing assemblies are around $70 - $90
I've seen the no name (Chinese) ones for around $22 delivered.

That said, if you used the budget front wheel bearings what was your experience? How long did they last?

And has anyone had a pre mature failure using the premium brand name bearings?

Sometimes I buy these vehicles from people who have really neglected them. I find working on them enjoyable kinda like a hobby. It's also rewarding if and when I sell them. (It's only fun when I work on my own vehicles so don't ask).

Anyway, as you may know, when you sell a vehicle, the buyer will rarely ever give you credit for using QUALITY parts. To a buyer, it's like a sales gimmick even if you have receipts. So let's say you spend $1000 more on top quality parts to bring a neglected vehicle back up to great shape. Buyers are not going to pay for that difference between the best parts vs the cheapest parts...as long as it runs good at the moment. Imagine telling a buyer you want $1000 more for your van than one on a lot 2 doors down that LOOKS exactly the same because you know you put the very best quality into the vehicle throughout. While you also know Ted down there at Knight Motors will polish or spray paint a used part to make it look decent if it will make it off the lot. (Because Ted could care less about ANYTHING but profit in his pocket).

Ted gets the sale and the profit every time. The buyer gets what he paid for (every time). Eventually Ted moves due to dwindling customer base. Ever wonder why used car lots come and go so often?

Anyway, that leads to a moral question wrapped in a business blanket. If you were PLANNING to sell a vehicle after repairing everything on it, would use use the cheap parts and pocket the difference, or use quality parts, take the hit and provide a top quality product for your buyer? Reality is that manufacturing today (in nearly any industry) takes the approach that maximizes profit for the company. Planned obsolescence for example. When was the last time you saw the Maytag commercial of the bored service agent? Quality and Profit are contrary?

Just thoughts.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.