DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

77 W150 Steering Binding Up

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  DieselBomber12v 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have another post going about my resto on War Wagon my 77 w150. But Im running into a problem that I thought that I fixed. I wanted to start a new thread to solve this problem. Well the problem as the title suggests is that I can't turn. I had the problem ever since day one but it was only when at a stand still once you started rolling it was ok. But now no matter moving or not something is binding up. I can turn right a few degrees but it makes a loud popping sound and turning left, well forget about it. I just changed the ball joints because the were really loose but no dice. Really getting frustrated because this is the only thing holding me up. Its all ready to go otherwise. The only thing I can think of is the steering box is bad. But with the weight off the wheels it turns great but once you put weight on its all bound up. If you guys have any ideas it would really be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
You may want to consider looking really close at every joint in the system. Tie rod ends, steering box linkage, ball joints (again ) and so on. Re-check all the obvious things one more time just to eliminate them from the list of possibilities. Because it is a 'binding' and 'popping' condition it seems like it should be in one, or more, of the mechanical joints. Do you have a tilt steering column? That is also a remote possibility as there is a u-joint in that system. Since it only does this with the front wheels on the ground it will be difficult to spot with the front off the ground. I remember reading a post in another forum where the intermediate steering shaft, between the column and box, was the culprit.

#3 ·
Well all the joints are new including the drag link. The only thing I could see is that with it being lifted the drag link is at an angle and I heard from the factory they were supposed to be parallel to the ground. Also when you try to turn the wheel on the ground you can hear the pump "winding up" and struggling like when you turn your wheel full lock. So thats why im thinking steering box.

#4 ·
It sounds like you have already eliminated most areas with new parts. Is there any way you can place a long metal rod against the steering box and the other end covered with your thumb with your ear pressed against your thumb ( creating, in effect, a stethoscope ) while someone else tries turning the wheels? You may be able to 'hear' things going on to help determine if the box is bad.

#5 ·
Thats a good idea! Im gonna try to find where the sound is coming from exactly. In the meantime I ordered a new steering box just to rule it out. Wasn't too expensive then I know I ruled almost everything out.

#6 ·
Well thats disappointing.... Spent the last few days putting a new steering box on and come to find out it turns the wrong way!!! UGH Now I have to take it all back apart again. The 77 4wd are reverse rotation correct? Im assuming they sent me a 2wd box by mistake.

#8 ·
haha right! I just drowned my xj so now I have more problems to deal with lol

#9 ·
that doesn't sound good was it still running when it went under. if it was it broke something for sure. i seen a head almost come clean off due to water. if it wasn't running change the fluids and dry her out should be ok. should ask Santa claws for a snorkel for Christmas

#10 ·
Sorry was busy the last week. XJ is dried out and running good. I shut the engine off immediately so it seems no damage was done. Fried the coil and tps as well as filled the oil and tranny fluid with water. OOPS. Anyway back on topic, I took the box back to Advance auto who gave me s**t for it cause I scuffed it up trying to install it They thought I was tryin to pull a fast one on them. I was like I can show you the old box and then you will realize that this is the new one lol. Ordered the correct one which is of course more rare and expensive but should be coming soon. Will update you guys once i get it in. Supposed to snow this week though, BURR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.