DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Painting the wheels (the backspacing)?

426 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Big Boi 
#1 ·
I've got an '03 with the Off Road package and the wheels are the spoked variety. There's about 5 or 6 large spokes (too lazy to go out and look :) ) and since there's so much "open space" you can see through the wheel to the inside. Brake dust is always visible there and it's hard to clean. I actually get down and reach through the back to remove it. I'm going to be rotating the tires soon and I thought I might try painting the backspacing of the wheel to black or something that wouldn't show the dust while I had the wheels off.

Anyone done this? If so do you have a picture? Or would I just have black insided wheels with brake dust still being visible? Or worse paint peeling off?

Thanks.

#2 ·
#3 ·
I also thought about doing this. Last month I took the wheels off and fully detailed (YES DETAILED) the inside of the rim, inside of the tire, and the wheels wells. The rims look 100% better and Im going to hold off on the paint for now. Give the wheels a good cleaning first and see how you like it. This includes taking each rim off and cleaning them form the inside with brake cleaner and degreaser.

#4 ·
Paint them? What color? Same as the truck? What about waxing them and just washing out the brake dust.

#5 ·
Big Boi said:
I also thought about doing this. Last month I took the wheels off and fully detailed (YES DETAILED) the inside of the rim, inside of the tire, and the wheels wells. The rims look 100% better and Im going to hold off on the paint for now. Give the wheels a good cleaning first and see how you like it. This includes taking each rim off and cleaning them form the inside with brake cleaner and degreaser.
got some pics > or did I miss them already ?

#6 ·
RAM MAN said:
got some pics > or did I miss them already ?
Ill shoot some this weekend. The truck was clean for five days str8, then the rain came.... I think we get a break on Friday; from the rain that is.

#8 ·
Here ya go RM...

They just look newer ya know? I mean when I cleaned them it took about an hour and a half to do all four (Only 2 jack stands). But when I had the front wheels off I yanked out the wheel wells and cleaned them as well. Every little thing counts. I have more pics but they're on another disc. My boy is barrowing my USB cable for the camera, but when I get it back Ill post them as well.

#9 ·
I painted my Mustang inner wheels and the rear brakedrum with brush on (no need to mask) satin black Rustoleum---made a great improvement in appearance, and the Rustoleum seems to last a along time, its still on there and has been a few years, id like to do the same to the truck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.