DodgeTalk Forum banner

Painting chrome wheels help!

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  draggin-accord 
#1 ·
Hey I currently have 22" chrome wheels pics are in gallery not good ones though sorry. Anyways I wanted togo for a new look. I was wondering if anybody has painted a chrome wheel flat black or like matte black maybe even like a glossy black. I read a thread a while ago and some one was quoted $125 a wheel. just wondering if it's worth it because I like the wheels I have but don't like the chrome look anymore? Any info would help or suggestions!

#2 ·
your best bet would be to have them powder coated. I think the bulk of the cost would be the prep of the wheels to get rid of the chrome. Whether it is worth it depends on what you want. The flat or matte black will be much easier to clean than the chrome that's for sure.

#4 ·
Yea I would sell them but i like the style and want to keep them. Plus I didn't really take to care of them some light scratches and would just prefer to paint them. Thanks for the feedback any other suggestions if I go the route of painting them!

#7 ·
powdercoat would be the "right" way to do it. you'd have to dismount tires, have wheels sandblasted & recoated, remount & balance tires. if you are just doing the spokes you probably could save yourself some money by buying hitemp tape & taping them off. when i had mine done, the guy told me most of the cost would be in the prep. so i spent 40 on tape & taped them off while watching tv one night. it cost me 420 for all 4 wheels, coated w/ a metallic powder & powder clear.

just fyi, from what i understand there is no cross reference between paint color & powdercoat color. it will be on the shop to match the paint if that is the look you're going for. the place did mine, got it pretty damn close, considering my car was in a million pieces at the paint shop & i took them some paper w/ overspray on it to go off of, lol.

if you do decide to paint them, at the very least i would talk to a body shop & see what they say about painting them. i dont know if they'll be able to scuff the chrome enough to get the paint to stick so that it will hold up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.