DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NO 3/4 shift, Codes, P1757, P0783

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  westpoint 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I just bought my first dodge ever. Its a 97 ram 1500 magnum regular cab 5.9 liter. I took it for a test drive last weekend on some back roads and everything shifted fine. Until I paid for the truck and got on the highway.....

The truck will not shift into 4th gear. Im pretty sure its the 46re tranny. There is no slipping through 1st 2nd and 3rd gear. It down shifts with no problems. My overdrive button on the dash lights up when I push it. My check engine light is on.
I have a friend who has a plug in computer to diagnose the codes. The codes that came up were...P1757, which is the governor zero pressure malfunction, and P0783, 3-4 shift malfunction. With the computer hooked up I drove to 60 mph with the overdrive button on and off. Both times the rpm was 2400. The time I had the overdrive button on the cpu read I was in 4th gear, (which was bullcrap). When I had od button off it said I was in 3rd gear. So the computer thinks its going into 4th gear but its not. Since my friend has cleared the codes they have not come back on. But I still have the same problem.
First off I dont have money to just go get the tranny rebuilt. I do have mechanical skills, but have never done any tranny work. I was told to buy a solenoid upgrade kit and change the governor switches, and 3/4 solenoid. I would be more than happy to do that as long as I knew that was the problem at hand.
The other issue I have is there is tranny fluid leaking out of the front of the bell housing which I am assuming is a seal leak.
Can I drive my truck for now until I save some money to fix? What is the fix? Do I call several tranny shops and tell them the problem just so they can tell me I need a rebuild, then they will change a $50 part and charge me $2,000? Im sure the tranny needs to come out for the seal leak which I was quoted $350. But I can do the labor if all I need is a solenoid upgrade kit.

Please shed some light on my situation. my father tried to talk me out of buying a dodge....I love this truck. I dont want him to say " I told you so".

thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
For the leak?; trans vent is in bellhousing, so ensure trans is not overfull---

---park LEVEL
---idle and cycle/pause in all gears ending in NUETRAL
---check trans fluid level

First paragraph has "codes explained"

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

... Not uncommon to replace gov press sensor, sometimes OD sol too.

... To avoid confusion, refer to OD light, not the button;---

---light off = OD is on (when ever truck is started, light will/should be off)
---light on = OD is off

... Ya, search around for 46RE info, seems you can never have enough of it. ... Welcome to DT.

#4 ·
P1757 Governor Pressure Above 3 PSI In Gear @ 0 MPH
P0783 3-4 Shift Solenoid, No RPM Drop @ Lockup

It would be nice to know the mileage. 4X2 4X4?

Since the codes match the problem i would replace them. Replace both the governor pressure and shift solenoid(they work in tandem) along with the od solenoid. Since you are in there already replace the lock up solenoid to. Not telling when this will give you problems down the road. The front seal will need to be replaced if that's actually the issue. The trans will need to be dropped enough to get the converter off and change the seal. The solenoids you can do with just dropping the vale body.

Here is a video showing you the solenoid replacement.
https://youtu.be/kvl-_-vY6rk

#5 ·
2x4 110k miles. Just braught to a shifty trans shop. They pulled the ol come look at all this shit in the pan trick on me. They quoted a rebuild at 1000 dollars. Macco said that was a shady peice and would probably just bandage it. Macco said for me to replace selenoids and such and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.