DodgeTalk Forum banner

Anti-Freeze burning off?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Woodstuff 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. The extended warranty finally ran out and for the second time in 3 years the "Y" connection on the heating/cooling system split like it is prone to do. Because that part is ridiculously expensive and cheaply made(plastic), and the fix was no longer going to be covered under warranty, I looked online and fixed it using a brass 3/4 inch "T" connector from Lowes. That took care of the fix for a mere $5. However, I have noticed since the fix that the vehicle seems to burn through coolant. I am filling it up with a about half a gallon of 50/50 mix about once a month. There is no puddle under the vehicle after sitting. There is no creamy mixture in the oil pan/dipstick, no white smoke coming out of the vehicle tailpipe. Nothing on the engine that I can see down near the water pump or anywhere else. Occasionally you get the "sweet" smell, but it is faint. Finally, the spark plugs aren't fouled and no check engine light or any other performance issues with the engine that would indicate a head gasket issue. Also when idling the temperature sits now at about 2/3 up the gauge instead of the 1/2 way it used to. And since this all started since I replaced that "Y" connector I can only assume it has to be something with that. Could the issue be the connector being "brass" rather than aluminum? That brass piece gets really hot so maybe it is evaporating small amounts of coolant as it passes through it? I am thinking of buying an aluminum "Y" connector instead, but figured I ask what an expert thinks.

See less See more
#5 ·
Don't see how replacing a "Y" with a "T" connector would make a difference as long as the inside diameters were the same or at least close. I would go with Gregovich's thought just to eliminate the possibility. You can buy or sign out test kits to check for exhaust in the coolant. Here's an example: ]
I didn't think the actual "T" would make the difference, I was curious about the metal. I didn't know if aluminum is better for hot liquid than that brass or if it doens't even make a difference.

#4 ·
yes as ratchet 75 has said, you can get a exhaust gas tester the mounts on the rad where the cap goes with a dye in it, and when you throttle the engine to 2000 rpm if it shows bubbles coming up then there is a coolant leak in the head gasket, that is what I had done to confirm my problem, I was pissed but either change the head gasket, or blow the engine in time, so I shelled out the shekels and did it myself. the kit that ratchet 75 has listed with his link works great !

#8 ·
Loss of antifreeze only during winter

I have this same problem. One curiosity: The problem goes away by itself during the summer. I had the problem last winter. It stopped around May. It returned in November. I assume this means the outdoor temp probably needs to be below 60 degrees for the antifreeze to disappear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.