DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

(Will beg for Help) 01 Ram Phantom thermo problems (No Flare Up) New engine.

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  SmokinMirror 
#1 ·
Just drove it down to Mexico from Phx. Need to fix these issues. Lost my house and my criminal mother tried to kill me after I got back from the army. So I'm lacking cash to have the dealers look at it. -We did an engine swap on the 2001 Ram 4x4. Got a nice, hardly used 5.9, Cleaned it up. Installed. Everything works, but speedo is off by 20%, and the truck wont warm up. Yes I did put a much larger (V10) Radiator in it. But with a 195 Stat it doesn't get past 175 if driving in the cold. But this has nothing to do with the speedo. Obviously I didn't do this alone. Could something have been damaged. What sensors are relevant? There is also no "Flare up" During startup of the truck. It used to really growl at first. Seems like the timing is really backed off. There is clearly something wrong. No engine light..

Any help would be appreciated. I can take pictures if needed. Please ask friends if you know anyone who might know. Thanks.

Glen,

#2 ·
Was there a 5.9 in the truck originally or did it have something else? What year 5.9 did you put in it? May want to explain what "Flare up" is.

But with a 195 Stat it doesn't get past 175 if driving in the cold.
Well you are not getting code for the low temp so the gauge may be off. Need to check the temp with a infrared temp gun to verify. May need a t stat. Was the speedo issue there before the engine swap?

#5 ·
Was there a 5.9 in the truck originally or did it have something else? What year 5.9 did you put in it? May want to explain what "Flare up" is.

Well you are not getting code for the low temp so the gauge may be off. Need to check the temp with a infrared temp gun to verify. May need a t stat. Was the speedo issue there before the engine swap?
Never had a speedo issue before. It also was louder, and would "flare up+ or Rev to 1000rpm at start. It no longer does this.

#3 ·
these things have VERY LARGE RADIATORS from the factory and I think if you read the forums
you will find that even people ( myself Included ) that run 180° stat with stock radiator have
trouble building heat in the cold winter months but the cooler running in warm months more
than makes up for the trade off..

NOW you are running a 195° but if the V10 radiator is that much bigger ( sorry I don't know difference )
you may have the same issue so much surface being cooled that it can bring the engine up to proper
operating temperature..

long story short with the ram sport I had about 10 years ago running a 180° stat here in the cold NJ winters
I ran just under 1/3 of the radiator blocked off with cardboard.. what I did was experiment with various sized
cardboard pieces and started out at 1/4 blocked wasn't enough went to half and that was too much and trimmed
it back getting it good and warm until I had the same temp on the dash gauge as I had with the original 195° stat

optimally if you could find a cold weather grill blanket / cover made for the truck that would be perfect because it
has an adjustable opening
space

#7 ·
I agree 100%.. I might even try to go back to the factory radiator. But that still wont solve the problems with the "flare up" or speedo. Its using factory size tires. Its an offroad package with 4,10 gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.