DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need help with rear axle: 1500 with 4.10's

11K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  bigmacdak 
#1 ·
Hope I posted this in the right place haha. I'm looking to rebuild/swap my rear end in my 2001 1500 4x4... Not looking to change the ratio, I just need help finding a rear end or rebuild kit for the Chrysler 9.25 with 4.10's. I've been searching craigslist and calling junk yards around the Tri-state area (I live in Jersey) and I haven't found anything besides rebuilt rears for around $1400. I was hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction or chime in with some advice or other options. I thought I found a junk yard rear for around $750 shipped from FL but the guys never got back to me and I can't seem to get a hold of them any more. I'm willing to drive a few hours or pay for shipping if need be.

Thanks,
Steve

#2 ·
Steve,

Welcome to Dodge Talk, can't really help with your problem but someone who can will be along shortly I am sure, may need to move this to the 4x4 section those guys are hard core about their rears....

I am originally from South Jersey myself, moved further south curtesy of Uncle Sam, and won't go back either....

Good luck.
Al..

#6 ·
The truck has about 190k miles on it. Most are from highway and towing my trailers to atv races. After driving on the highway for a while, the rear end would begin to bind as soon as you came to a stop and started to accelerate. I came home from my campus a few weeks ago and noticed diff fluid all over the back side of my truck. My father and I pulled the diff cover and played with it for a while and we decided to just go for a junk yard rear. The truck just has to get me through 1 more year of college commuting so I can't really justify spending $1500 on a rear..

I have the whole rear end dropped right now in our shop. We have every tool in the book and I'm sure that between my father and I, we could rebuild the rear. He's been rebuilding cars and trucks since he was my age. We just thought it would be easier to take axle off and throw a junk yard rear in. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone with 4.10's. Did dodge have a thing against putting 4.10's in 1500's? Haha.

Thanks so far, guys.

PS. I check craigslist and Ebay religiously haha.

#8 ·
My father and I pulled the diff cover and played with it for a while and we decided to just go for a junk yard rear.
I don't mean to be a dick but from what you've posted i would strongly recommend you find someone who has rebuilt a rearend to do it for you. "played with it for awhile and decided to go the junk yard route"...sounds like you don't even know what the actual problem is:YO:

Zach571

#7 ·
I don't think the 4:10 is a stock thing, may have been special ordered that way......

You can take your VIN to the dealership and get the build sheet for the truck that will tell you if it is stock or an upgrade or added after the truck was sold....

#10 ·
I would also recommend pulling the axle shafts and taking a peek at the wheel bearings, best to find out then if they are junk already. Sucks you can't just pull the carrier on those and look at the carrier bearings too, most rearends use shims, these don't so I doubt you have the tools to set the backlash for this rearend.

Zach571

#12 ·
I can't help you out locally but hit up local 4x4 shops (im sure those are scarce around there...) and next best place would be places that specialize in suspensions (like making leaf springs and driveshafts, they can recommend places too). Any auto shop can rebuild the rearend but its best to find someone who is KNOWN for it.

Another option is hit up on your local 4x4 forum or club, they WILL know someone who will set up the gears for ya, and since you have it that makes it all the easier, you can just drop it off...

Around here I could get it done for under $900 for sure, but thats just including the rebuild kit, not a set of gears if that is needed, which can be had for around $200 a set, look at those links I put up earlier and check those prices with whatever your local find charges you for parts ;)

Zach571

#13 ·
4:10s are a rare beast. most people that have them wount give them up. they were equiped in the off road models. a specialty. if they ever hit the J-yards, it would only be for a minute.

#15 · (Edited)
I found a few.

Flushing Auto Salvage USA-NY Corona 1-718-672-0700 They want $750 stock #24880

Heres a few more not sure how close you are to these.

Auto Recycling Inc USA-PA(Coplay) 1-610-799-3234 $800

New Castle Auto Wrecking, Inc. USA-PA(New-Castle) 1-800-245-2226 $1200 86,000M

#16 ·
Figures!! I bit the bullet two days ago and bought a rebuilt rear end from M&R Motors in Walnutport, PA for $1300. She's all back together and running great. Now if I could only find a set of 34"-35"s to throw underneath it for cheap, I'd be in business haha.

One quick question - I took her out yesterday for a local drive. Everything seems fine except for a slight grinding noise which seems to be coming from the rear end. I think it sounds like the brake shoes rubbing up against the drum, but the noise tends to go away whenever I make left turns. Could it be something else like the gear oil hasn't traveled the length of the axles yet and lubed everything? Maybe I adjusted the drum brakes a little too tight?

Thanks again for everything, guys.

#17 ·
Add some MOPAR limited slip additive and see if it goes away. One bottle (they're small) should do it.

#19 ·
NO, gears will not cause a shake. Possible that the pinion is bent or not true enough to be vibration free, not much else with the rearend that would cause a vibration. Did you rotate your tires while they were off or are they back where they were before the swap?? I've had a slipped belt on one of my tires and didn't feel a shake if it was on the front, but in the rear she'd shake like a crack whore in rehab.

Zach571

#22 ·
Thanks!

Anyone have any experience with Cooper Tires? My family runs their tires on all of our vehicles and half of them have radial separation and horrible vibration issues.

On another note - found out my passenger side front wheel bearing is shot.. I had my front axle seals replaced a few months ago and the shop told me they would replace my ball joints and bearings while it was apart. Kinda pissed off right now lol.

#23 ·
I use to run Cooper tires. Ran them for years. Bottom line is, back in the day they were a good tire, now a days, they're overpriced garbage. The compound they use is so soft, & most are out of round from the factory. Cooper/Mastercraft/Wildcat & all the other Cooper knock offs have very low quality control tolerances.

Did the shop replace the bearings? Better yet, did they charge you for the bearings when it came time to pay the bill? I suppose a new bearing could have been defective & gone bad already. Most of them carry a 1 year warranty. I would be on the phone or in the office of that shop !

Good luck man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.