DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

99 Grand Caravan: Exterior door trim has pulled up; removal and remounting

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  VegasLightz 
#1 ·
The wide horizontal strip near the bottom of the driver's door has curled up at the front end and I need advice on what to do. It is the end near the door hinge, so when you try to open the driver's door, this door trim hits the adjacent trim on the front fender, and it bends and pulls up more as you try to open the door. It appears to be just a stick on application. I hope this is not a "new part and body shop" type of repair; I would like to remove the trim myself, salvage the trim, and remount it so it is perfectly flat again.

All input greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Gary

#2 ·
I'm not really familiar with a 99 Caravan, but I assume the trim is the same as it is on most vehicles, but you may want to check at a body shop first, but to remove the trim on most vehicles, warm up the trim with a hair dryer or park in the sun for a few hours, take some thin fishing line or a plastic body shop putty knife and get behind the molding and use the fishing line in a saw type motion to cut the adhesive. Again, on most late model vehicles, there are no clips or screws holding the molding on. If you're going to re-use the molding be careful not to bend the molding when removing, clean the adhesive off the molding and the door, get 3M double sided body shop tape and re-apply. I think you'll find the hardest part of the job will be removing the old adhesive from the two parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.