DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1998 doge problems, after all new goodies

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Ret.ArmySF 
#1 ·
hi ev1, im new here and have a problem with my 1998 dodge ram 1500, 5.9 gas, 2 wd.

I guess this is the year evy thing that can go wrong, is going wrong. I have had this truck 8 yrs now. I do all my own work, and in the past 6 months i've put almost 7 grand in this truck. A rebuilt 518 tranny, new JBA shorty headers, magnaflow s/s cat and cat back system, new radiator new a/c, new plug wires and dist. cap and rotor button.

Last month i get in it to go to work, and the check engine light is on. I got 201, 301, and 204 codes. I know that 301 is misfire, probably spark plugs, which the truck has 1 yr old E-3's, i pulled all plugs and found yellow glaze on cyl. #1, which tells me running a little hot. I cleaned all plugs and reinstalled. 201 & 204 are injector codes which i have replaced.

The truck runs, but lacks any power untill about 2k and above RPM, but it still runs rough.I have started this truck at least 10 times scince replacing injectors. No codes are popping up. It feels kinda like the cat is plugged up, but it surely shouldnt be, being 6 months old.

I have checked evy thing from compression to checking with noid lights to pressure in the fuel system, which came up to 50 PSI. My book says 35-45 PSI. Could this be pressure issue?

Any critisism or advise is welcome. This motor is a Jasper rebuild and has only 56k on it, the truck has 156k on it.

See less See more
#2 ·
first Welcome to the site. What were your compression readings? I wouldn't count the cat out just because its new. How does it idle and rev when not going down the road?

#3 ·
First of all let me thank you for your time. comp. readings are as follows 1=165 2=165 3=155 4=165 5=135 6=135 7=140 8=165. My thought has always been no more than a 30 psi difference , everything is good. 4&6 has a 30psi dif. which could be signs of head gasket problem, but doubtfull. no signs of leaks, no antifreeze in oil, and new gaskets abt 4 yrs ago.

After the tranny rebuild i went through 3 torque converters, that were covered under the transmission shops warranty, which kept throwing codes for that.

But after that this truck ran like a scalded daug, however still a pig on gas, which i guessed i would need a programer to to help with this.

As far as reving goes, sitting still it runs pretty rough through to abt 2k rpm, after that it seems to smooth out. On the road it is a different story, when taking off, i have to really mash the gas pedal, and it is really rough, herky jerky.

#4 ·
The first thing I would do is can the e 3's. It all sounds good, but I tried them and had problems.JMHO

#6 ·
Get rid of those junk E3's. Only good spark plugs for dodges are cheap copper core plugs!

#7 ·
1 yr old E-3's

Thanks, cblake and moparite, i was looking at maybe changing them, because i have read that they need to be platinum.

Yes i have new dist cap(W/ brass inserts) and plug wires. I also believe the coil is original to the truck, probably going to change that as well, even tho it ohmed out correctly.

Somebody else told me to take the throttle body off and clean thouroghly, along with the TCI.

Thanks again, if this doesnt work im going to take the cat off to see how it runs then. YEAAA Open headers:D

#9 · (Edited)
i tried bosch platinums "not good" and went back to copper autolite 3923

#10 ·
Autolite 3923's here also. No problems.

#11 ·
problem solved for my ram

Sorry i havnt been back on here for awhile . I just wanted to thank ev1 for their help on my truck, cblake,spun360,nh5,moparite, and dodgensince74.

You guy's were absolutly correct. I put new Autolite spark plugs in and wow what a difference. I wont be sucked in by that bs again.

If any of you guys have any suggestions on how to get better gas milage i am open for suggetions.

Thanks again. Happy truckin:rck:

#12 ·
these trucks don't get great milage, i'm leaning to a big part of the problem is our right feet:ugh, when they run good we like to feel it. The best ways to get better milage is to take off easy, coast to a stop, keep check on tire pressure and keep it parked:bawl:

#13 ·
LMAO,:thatfunny
I here ya man. When i bought this truck 8 yrs ago, i got 9-9.5 mpg now i get abt 10-11.Your absolutly correct in what yr saying. I actually have tried that, no luck tho:bawl:
I was thinkin about buying a superchip super tuner. what is your thought abt this????

#16 ·
are u kidding or just a newbie

SCT tuner from hemifever. no substitute

#14 ·
I have the superchips on my truck and use the 87 setting just to reset the tire size and to read and clear any codes that might pop up, I get to much pinging on the other settings even with 91 gas, Some day I will do the penlum gasket fix to see if that helps. If you have taller/shorter tires then stock then that could effect your milage calculations since the miles your odometer shows will not be correct.

G
#17 ·
I get up to 16mpg around town, as high as 22-25mpg highway. I noticed a big difference when I cut out the cat and started watching the vacuum gauge religiously. BUT I do have an sct tuner from hemi fever and a k and n CAI as well. Honestly didn't notice a big difference in mpg from the tuner, mostly from changing driving habits

#18 ·
Autolites are for Fords! Stay with the Champion coppers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.