DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

crankcase vent

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  speedy81304 
#1 ·
i never noticed this till today but is it normal to be getting exhaust?/ smoke out of the crankcase tube

#2 ·
Looks pretty nasty doesn't it? It smells even worse.
You ever see those Super Stock tractor pullers pulling? You see their blow-by coming out the bottom of the engine? Ours isn't that bad.

#3 ·
ya looks a little strange, like i said i never noticed till today. i need to add oil tomorrow maybe that well stop it

#4 ·
All internal combustion engines produce a certain amount of combustion gas leakage past the piston rings...even "gapless$$$" rings leak a little.
The PCV valves on gassers re-introduce those gasses to the intake manifold. Our diesels can't take the chance of those gasses possibly condensing back to oil then accidently getting a slug of that oil to make uncontrolled power/runaway since getting off the throttle won't stop the slug because there's no throttle butterfly like a gasser.

#5 ·
Its part of owning a diesel. The higher compression ratio also contributes to it as well.

#6 ·
also some of that vapor or smoke you see. is oil vapors as oil gets hot is burns off vapor, kinda like water just before it boils. you will see steam. you can do like i did and extend the crank case breather tube. to help keep some of the oil mist from getting all over my engine bay. I ran the tube down and infront of the engine crossmember.
my 05 doesnt do it as much as the 01 does. but yes its wierd when you come to a stop at the end of an off ramp. and you see some smoke in front of your truck and it smells like burning oil. first time when i got the truck i thought O crap i got a bad oil seal leaking. and opened the hood to find no oil leaks. but some vapor coming out the breather tube. as stated the higher compression ratio, and the amount of heat with in the cylinders as oil hits the bottom of the hot pistons gasses build up.
just be glad. your not driving an old 2stroke diesel like an old 8-71 screamer. they smoke and burn off oil like oil is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.