DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lets talk infinity

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  King Nothing 
#1 ·
I just picked up an 06 megacab cummins that came with the nav system and infinity stereo. I have a few questions about the infinity. What size speakers are in the dash and what could fit up there in their place? It seems that the door speakers are just for bass/midbass. what are the crossover points and how is the filtering done (passive, outside the speaker or active in the amp) I read somewhere that the front door speakers are 8 ohm. could a 4 ohm speaker be put in its place or would the amp not be able to handle that. are the rear speakers full range? Finally, has anyone replaced the infinity speakers and what did you use?

#3 ·
The speakers in the doors are 6x9 and handle low frequency only. The crossover is in the amp. The dash speakers are 3.5" with a center fill speaker in the middle. There a lot of threads on here about bypassing the amp just do a search.

#4 ·
I know we spoke privately, but I'll repeat some of it for everyone else's benefit...
King Nothing said:
...What size speakers are in the dash and what could fit up there in their place?
The left and right look like 3.75", but I bet you could get a 5.25" speaker on each side with a bit of trimming. You've got quite a bit of mounting depth on the sides, the diameter is what you're going to trim for. The center speaker is quite a bit smaller, it's 2.5", but I'm guessing that you could get a 3.5" or maybe one of the original side speakers in there. Diameter is not an issue in the center, as there's plenty of room to trim, but depth is significantly smaller in the center than it is on each side. If you're going to create a custom pod in the center, then I'm guessing you could go 5.25" here too.

One other point that I'll make about the dash locations in a Ram, (And I know I'll probably get chastised by the same idiot who criticized the A-Pillar thread) is that speakers in these locations don’t lend themselves to good sound quality. (If that’s your goal) I put forth a significant effort in these locations, and musical instruments don’t sound believable with the acoustics of the Ram. If you don’t mind each musical instrument sounding like a recording of an instrument, instead of the actual instrument, than go for the dash locations.

King Nothing said:
...It seems that the door speakers are just for bass/midbass...
True. With the premium 7-speaker setup, these are only midbass drivers. (I'm answering for the 2007, but I’m guessing that the 2006 is the same)

King Nothing said:
...what are the crossover points and how is the filtering done (passive, outside the speaker or active in the amp)...
Tdog asked this same question earlier this month, and at first I thought, "Hmmm, Good question", because nobody knows what frequencies the Infinity "Premium" sound system is crossed over at...

But then I whipped out my RTA and actually measured it: :D

The dash drivers are rolling off (High Pass) about 400Hz.

The midbass drivers are rolling off (Low Pass) about 500Hz.

I do not know if the crossover is active or passive. Even if it’s built into the amplifier, it could be passive, because I don’t know if this amplifier is internally a 7-channel amplifier. It could actually be a 5-channel amp, with a passive crossover network added to the output section for the 7 sets of wires coming out of the molex plug… If you look at the gentle slope on the RTA screen, you’ll notice that the slope looks like 6db/octave, so I would guess that the crossover is actually passive. (Who would make a 6db/octave active crossover? It’s less common these days.)

King Nothing said:
...I read somewhere that the front door speakers are 8 ohm. could a 4 ohm speaker be put in its place or would the amp not be able to handle that.
I’ve not read that they are 8-ohm, nor did I measure them when I had them out. (I’ve actually read posts telling me that they are 2-ohm, but it wasn't a reliable source) However, regardless, it is possible to put a 4-ohm speaker in there, and in fact I’m running mine this way currently. (for now)

King Nothing said:
...Finally, has anyone replaced the infinity speakers and what did you use?
Yes, I have replaced the dash speakers with “Point Source” style drivers. I do not whore out brands, so I’ll keep that little tidbit to myself unless pressed on the subject, but I would suggest that you go and listen to several of the high-end brands out there, and decide for yourself what sounds good to you. Sound Quality is a very subjective thing, and speakers are the most important part of any audio system. Spend the majority of your money on the speakers themselves, and you won’t regret it later.

King Nothing said:
One more question. With the speakers not being full range, where would one tap in if he wanted to bypass the infinity amp and run his own? Could you tap in before the infinity with a line out converter?
Yes. You could try one of these: LINK

#5 ·
Audionuts, thank you for your responses both here and in PM. Could a person do the same thing you did for your point source with 4 inch components without sacrificing too much visibility? Would you be willing to do something like this for someone who wasnt confident enough to hack into their 2 week old truck? Sorry if Im putting you on the spot here. I have a set of 4 inch components (older, but decent) I would like to use with a midbass in the doors but I dont have the ability to do that kind of work, nor do I have a beater to practice on LOL

#6 ·
King Nothing said:
Could a person do the same thing you did for your point source with 4 inch components without sacrificing too much visibility?
Absolutely! I didn't loose any visibility at all with the Point Source drivers, and the only difference is that you would be adding small bumps to flush the tweeters in with separate components.

King Nothing said:
Would you be willing to do something like this for someone who wasnt confident enough to hack into their 2 week old truck? Sorry if Im putting you on the spot here.
First, don't cut into your A-Pillars. Go to the dealer, and buy a spare set to cut into. (This is what I always do, so I can return the truck to original condition) I still have a set of A-Pillars (for tweeters) from my Durango left over that I'm going to liquidate one of these days.

Second, I would only do this for someone else if the price was right. I spent over $400.00 on the materials alone, and I used over a month of my time. How much do you make in a month? I'll sell you the ones that I have in my truck right now, with the speakers, if you wanted to pay a fair price for them.

Third, you gotta remember that these were aimed by me, for me. These are built specifically to my own listening tastes, and you might not like the same thing that I like out of your music. Even if I built pillars for your components, I wouldn't be able to guarantee that you would be as happy as if you aimed them yourself to your own taste.

#9 ·
Insted of starting a new thread. I thought I would reply to this one

I have a 2005 Ram 1500 With the Infitny system. I am going to bypass the amp.

I am gonna use the Metra Amp Bypass Harness 70-6510

After reading alot on the boards. The 6X9s in the door were meant for low freq only? Since I am bypass the amp. Do I need to put a crossover in? So I dont ruin the speakers in the doors?

If so, what cross over should I use? I want to keep the stock speakers in for now. By useing the amp bypass harness. I am guessing my tweeters in the dash will still work? My aftermarket HU puts out 52 by 4, peek power. Should I install an aftermarket amp in? or see what it sounds like first?

#10 ·
Raminator157 said:
After reading alot on the boards. The 6X9s in the door were meant for low freq only?
Yes, if it's the same Infinity premium sound system that's in the 2007's.

Raminator157 said:
...Since I am bypass the amp. Do I need to put a crossover in? So I dont ruin the speakers in the doors?
In the best case, yes, I would install a crossover. The door speakers will probably have a natural "Roll-Off", but I would be VERY concerned about the dash speakers. You will definitely still need to use a crossover for the dash speakers, unless you can find the original crossovers in the vehicle, and re-use them.

Raminator157 said:
...If so, what cross over should I use?
If you're going to bi-amp the front speakers buy using a four channel amp just for the fronts, then you will need an electronic crossover capable of the same crossover frequency that I listed above in my RTA readings. If you're going to use a four channel amp and are only going to use two channels for the dash and doors, and the other two channels for the rear speakers, then you will need to come up with some passive crossovers that will work at those same frequencies above, but you need to be sure that they are designed for the impedance of the stock speakers.

Raminator157 said:
...I want to keep the stock speakers in for now. By useing the amp bypass harness. I am guessing my tweeters in the dash will still work?
Dunno, what do the instructions say?

Raminator157 said:
...My aftermarket HU puts out 52 by 4, peek power. Should I install an aftermarket amp in? or see what it sounds like first?
Your aftermarket head unit will definitely not sound as good as the factory amp. If you're looking to "Improve" the sound, then you're looking for an amplifier.

#11 ·
So in other words, this is going to be a costly project? Sounds like more of a huge headache with my 05. I guess in late 04 and 05 they changed everything around, and they do not make a harness to intergrate the stock amp with an aftermarket HU for my year. I tried to use the aftermarket can bus harness for the 06 and 07 and it did not work at all. All I really want is to be able to play MP3s in my truck. I have a pretty nice sony deck, that plays MP3s, and I wanna use it. But sounds like i am gonna be spending alot of extra money if I want to use.

#12 ·
There is a harness available to hook an aftermarket deck up to the factory amp. If your planning on keeping the factory speakers I see no reason whatsoever to use amps other than factory. Spend your money elsewhere like a set of dash speakers and a better midbass for the doors. I decided after posting this thread just to pull everything out and start from scratch with a harness similar to yours that converts to RCAs, a memphis belle, and all new speakers

#13 ·
Just throwing this out there for people on a budget. Whatever you spend on equipment, expect to spend about half that on materials to install everything well. Wiring, hardware, tools, gas (for the numerous trips to the hardware shop), and the little accessories like battery terminals, RCAs, fiberglass (?), MDF, they all add up really fast. I've made the mistake enough to know not to blow all my budget on equipment. I racked up an extra $400 on my credit card the last time I did a full install from buying new wire (to replace the existing stuff that I thought might work) and all the bolts and accessories.

If you end up with some extra cash leftover, go buy yourself a happy meal and enjoy it in the new theater that is your truck....or start saving for the next upgrade in my case.

#14 ·
ceri said:
Just throwing this out there for people on a budget. Whatever you spend on equipment, expect to spend about half that on materials to install everything well. Wiring, hardware, tools, gas (for the numerous trips to the hardware shop), and the little accessories like battery terminals, RCAs, fiberglass (?), MDF, they all add up really fast. I've made the mistake enough to know not to blow all my budget on equipment. I racked up an extra $400 on my credit card the last time I did a full install from buying new wire (to replace the existing stuff that I thought might work) and all the bolts and accessories.

If you end up with some extra cash leftover, go buy yourself a happy meal and enjoy it in the new theater that is your truck....or start saving for the next upgrade in my case.
Good idea to budget install supplies. I have mine figured at less than 100 bucks though, nowhere near 1/2 my equipment. hell, i picked up 2 4 gauge wiring kits for 30 bucks shipped here www.outfitterclearance.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.