DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold air intake

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  06Dakff 
#1 ·
I have been wanting to put a cold air intake on my 08 Laramie 4.7L I have checked on K&N but 358.00 is not what I am wanting to spend

Has anyone made there own

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

#2 ·
The CAI is a waste of money and unless unless you just want to hear the throttle sound under the hood. You will get good bump at first but most will be detuned away by your PCM within a few weeks. Your best-bang-for-buck is to remove 'the hat' that's over the top of the engine. It has sound baffling like an exhaust muffler to keep the throttle body and engine noise out of the cabin. Keep the air filter box but replace the paper filter with a reusable free flowing air filter. Personally, I like the K&N but I'm also using the Spectre Performance hpR Air Filter in our Buick Park Avenue.

DodgeTalk had an air filter study with tons of feed back that was on the site for years but somewhere in-between the sites software archiving stuff and the owner's of DodgeTalk's doing a site upgrade, I haven't been able to find thread. It had real world testing in-between all the major brands and on different models of vehicles. It was really good information and it even showed when some cause the vehicle to lose power. In a nut shell, the thread said the CAI's are a waste of money. But again, some buy them for the looks and sound so it's up to you.

#3 ·
I saw that Air Intake comparison chart, and it had some detailed information in there. There is such minimal gains compared to what is claimed. I had the full Airaid kit (#300-175)on my Dakota, and I absolutely hated the noise that it created. You might say noise is good, but it was definitely NOT good noise. I also tried it with the Airaid filter and stock intake tubing, and it did not change, still sounded terrible. I would much rather hear my kick asz exhaust system!

Then I put the stock airbox with a K&N drop in filter, along with the Airaid MIT (Modular Intake Tube), and it definitely sounded like stock again. I figure the K&N drop in filter would allow some more air flow than a paper filter, and the Airaid MIT gives a smoother flow of air to the engine. I remember a chart (not sure if it was the same one as mentioned above), that showed a slightly better HP gain, air flow, & temperature using the stock air box with the drop in filter, over the conical filter with a full CAI kit.

#6 ·
Google Airaid MIT 300-965 for just the tube, the tube and a drop in filter is Airaid 300-765. The price is high considering it's just a plastic tube and a few other parts. I ordered the whole Airaid 300-175 kit from Amazon for about $20 more than what the price of the MIT is going for now. I sold the filter for almost what I paid for the whole CAI.

You can simply ditch the paper air filter drop in a K&N air filter without the tube for a cheaper option.

#7 ·
Yep, that's what I did to my Ram... the Airaid MIT and the K&N filter. That was about 90K miles ago. The truck is just over 92K now.

#9 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.